Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Calibrating rules

I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers,
rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other
equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for
that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout
a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw)
off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers,
rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other
equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for
that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout
a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw)
off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ

The Unifence on my table saw can be calibrated. I check it now and then to
be sure it hasn't "drifted".
I use the same tape for a project. I have several Lufkin 12' tapes and they
*seem* to be consistent.
I use "story sticks" for multiple pieces where I need dadoes.
For measuring thicknesses (especially after running a piece thru the
jointer) I use:

http://tinyurl.com/y8xc9kd

I had a similar caliper from Sears that I used for years until I saw the
above one.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers,
rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other
equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for
that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout
a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw)
off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ

I use the same tape, the same 6" rule, the same 24" rule all the time, as
well as the fence on the tablesaw. Never calibrated them and if the vary by
..000001, I'm never going to see it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:34:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers,
rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other
equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for
that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout
a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw)
off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ

I have a small shop with very little make-up room, so I make small
projects, mostly (outside of a boat or two).

I have a Vega fence system with a micro-adjust knob on my 1983 vintage
Craftsman TS (for both the circular saw and attached router table).
I've calibrated it perfectly, and have learned to adjust it perfectly.
BUT, I still check with a Starret rule at each fence setting, and do
scrap cuts and measure on crtitical cuts epsecially on expen$ive wood.
The fence system is awesome.

I use mostly a 4" Starret combo square or various Inca Rules to mark
lines for hand tools. I use my Bridge City 3" tri square for depth
adjustment on my TS and router table (I LIKE this tool, buy one).

For length measurements, I have ONE 12' tape measure (off-brand, from
HD). I cut slightly long initially and then cut to final length.

For thickness I use my Starret combo square, set to the thickness I
want, then "feel" more than eyeball the measurement by sliding it
along the board with a finger just toeuching it. Works for me.

So, the short answer is I use many measuring tools for small projects,
and it seems to work for me.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 5:34*pm, "
wrote:
I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers,
rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other
equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for
that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout
a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw)
off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ

I have a several tapes of the same mfr & model.

Using my 12" machinist's rule, I tweak each tape's hook so that they
all match the machinist rule.

I don't have a "real" table saw anymore so I tend to use my tapes as
the standard.

For thickness, I use my tapes, machinist's rule / square or if I want
to be really nutty; 6" dial caliper

cheers
Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 6:34*pm, "
wrote:
I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers,
rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other
equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for
that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout
a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw)
off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ

I'm partly in the same camp as many of the rest.

I have one ProCarpenter flat tape that's my go-to.

Occasionally, I'll compare it to my Starrett square, but ...
*occasionally*.

That said, I'm probably well on my way to just being a story stick
guy. That may not mean the END of the tape, truly, but ... it may
make it a far less necessary item.

For MY use -- all building for personal consumption/gifts, so far --
consistency is MUCH more important than "accuracy."

As always ... YMMV ;-)

calibrating a hygrometer Nate Nagel Home Repair 7 August 10th 08 03:45 AM
Calibrating a Postal Scale Beachcomber Home Repair 16 October 8th 05 10:12 PM
Calibrating a domestic oven [email protected] UK diy 7 February 1st 05 09:40 PM
calibrating a laser level Alex UK diy 1 December 29th 04 06:22 PM
Calibrating a Starrett 98-4 Level Steve Metalworking 2 August 19th 04 07:00 PM