Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx Zz Yzx is offline

Default Calibrating rules

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:34:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm sure, I'm like everyone else. I have several tapes, flat rulers,
rulers on your tablesaw and probably other measuring tapes on other
equipment (panel saw, etc) elsewhere.

In building projects, what do you USE as the standard for
that project? Your tablesaw? A tape?

I know the rule (no pun intended) of using just ONE tape throughout
a project, but do you measure all the cuts (including the tablesaw)
off that tape? What about thicknesses?

Curious as to how you solve this.

MJ

I have a small shop with very little make-up room, so I make small
projects, mostly (outside of a boat or two).

I have a Vega fence system with a micro-adjust knob on my 1983 vintage
Craftsman TS (for both the circular saw and attached router table).
I've calibrated it perfectly, and have learned to adjust it perfectly.
BUT, I still check with a Starret rule at each fence setting, and do
scrap cuts and measure on crtitical cuts epsecially on expen$ive wood.
The fence system is awesome.

I use mostly a 4" Starret combo square or various Inca Rules to mark
lines for hand tools. I use my Bridge City 3" tri square for depth
adjustment on my TS and router table (I LIKE this tool, buy one).

For length measurements, I have ONE 12' tape measure (off-brand, from
HD). I cut slightly long initially and then cut to final length.

For thickness I use my Starret combo square, set to the thickness I
want, then "feel" more than eyeball the measurement by sliding it
along the board with a finger just toeuching it. Works for me.

So, the short answer is I use many measuring tools for small projects,
and it seems to work for me.

-Zz