Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My workbench design project

After thinking about the workbench I want to build for a while, I am leaning
towards using many facets of "Garrett Hack's Ultimate Workbench" (I first
saw it in the FWW, "Tools & Shops, annual issue", No. 209) as a guideline.
The publication has lots of details, but the following link contains a
picture at least.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...-of-a-lifetime

Of course, I'm going with Lew's recipe for a SYP top. I'm ignoring Hack's
drawers, till, and other niceties, but I really like the look of the benches
foundation.

I find the base/feet especially attractive--though I'm not really sure how
to saw a semicircular-arc on the front and rear of the feet:
I was thinking it would be easier if I drilled a small hole/dimple at the
"center" of the circe having the semicircular-arc on its circumference--then
I could build a jig that would allow me to rotate the piece on my BS. Do
you think Hack did something like that?
I believe Hack uses double-tenons and pegged single-tenon joinery throughout
his bench (I better not be in a hurry, and I better practice...). He says
the bench is "rock solid".

I thought the base should be made of hard wood, but not sure what type.
Suggestions welcomed! I was just looking at a wood guide that Woodsmith
sent me, and it says "Yellow Pine is Hard" (wow, that comes as a surprise to
me!). Maybe SYP throughout? Other ideas?

Thank you,
Bill

Workbench Project Bill Woodworking 5 January 24th 10 02:25 PM
My Ongoing Workbench Project Bill Woodworking 30 January 8th 10 02:29 AM
My Workbench Project (Design) Bill Woodworking 15 October 30th 09 01:05 AM
New general workbench project NEED HELP!! realeyz Woodworking 16 December 6th 05 06:49 PM
Workbench design Norm Edelmann Woodworking 0 August 18th 03 12:49 AM