Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default My workbench design project

"Bill" wrote in message
After thinking about the workbench I want to build for a while, I am
leaning towards using many facets of "Garrett Hack's Ultimate Workbench"
(I first saw it in the FWW, "Tools & Shops, annual issue", No. 209) as a
guideline. The publication has lots of details, but the following link
contains a picture at least.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...-of-a-lifetime

Of course, I'm going with Lew's recipe for a SYP top. I'm ignoring Hack's
drawers, till, and other niceties, but I really like the look of the
benches foundation.

I find the base/feet especially attractive--though I'm not really sure how
to saw a semicircular-arc on the front and rear of the feet:
I was thinking it would be easier if I drilled a small hole/dimple at the
"center" of the circe having the semicircular-arc on its
circumference--then I could build a jig that would allow me to rotate the
piece on my BS. Do you think Hack did something like that?
I believe Hack uses double-tenons and pegged single-tenon joinery
throughout his bench (I better not be in a hurry, and I better
practice...). He says the bench is "rock solid".

I thought the base should be made of hard wood, but not sure what type.
Suggestions welcomed! I was just looking at a wood guide that Woodsmith
sent me, and it says "Yellow Pine is Hard" (wow, that comes as a surprise
to me!). Maybe SYP throughout? Other ideas?

Thank you,
Bill

I am considering a simple design that WoodSmith on TV showed. Simple, 2x4
and 2x6 construction for the bottom with MDF reinforcement panels to
stabilize the legs and a 4 layer MDF top.
But I am also considering the same design and using BB plywood for the whole
thing, just laminate/build up to achieve 2x4 and 2x6 dimensions.
SYP is pretty hard considering it is clasified as a hsoft wood, harder than
poplar for instance.