Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Exterior glue questions

I've posted here before about gates I am making out of cypress. They
will be very similar to these:

http://opalko.smugmug.com/Other/Marc...34_ezNY8-M.jpg

First question: In addition to the carriage bolts that sandwich the
pieces together, would it make sense to use glue or construction
adhesive to glue the pieces together (in the same places the carriage
bolts are located)? I always thought gluing long grain against short
grain was a no-no, but would it do any good here?

Second: I have a lot of 2" wide strips left over from making the
pieces for the gates. Rather than toss them in a ravine, I was
thinking I could take 2 or 3 of these strips and exterior glue, and
make new, wider pieces (with a jointer). Would these new 5" or 6"
glued up pieces be usable outdoors just as 'regular' solid pieces;
i.e. will glue hold up here?
Cheers!

Exterior wood glue Adrian UK diy 20 January 26th 09 01:04 PM
Exterior Insulation Retrofit Questions Glenn G. Chappell Home Repair 2 October 4th 08 10:50 PM
Some of those "Super Glue' Krazy Glue" questions answered John B[_3_] Woodworking 0 September 5th 07 10:20 AM
mdf exterior questions Jeff Woodworking 11 October 5th 06 10:40 PM
Laminate glue for exterior wood Dan_Musicant Home Repair 1 November 10th 05 07:59 PM