Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Exterior glue questions

wrote:
On Apr 2, 7:59 am, " wrote:
I've posted here before about gates I am making out of cypress. They
will be very similar to these:

http://opalko.smugmug.com/Other/Marc.../IMG0868/80640...

First question: In addition to the carriage bolts that sandwich the
pieces together, would it make sense to use glue or construction
adhesive to glue the pieces together (in the same places the carriage
bolts are located)? I always thought gluing long grain against short
grain

I meant cross grain, not long vs. short.

Might help a little for a while but I would expect the width of these to
be sufficient that since they're outside and getting wet/drying out that
the grain movement will eventually either break the glue joint or cause
splitting to relieve the stress.

That's a guess; I've not used much cypress at all--perhaps it's soft
enough it wouldn't. My recollection is cypress needs care in gluing for
as it's resinous??? The inexperience is showing; somebody w/ more
hands-on can add confirmation/rebuttal or look on the US Forest Products
Lab site for characteristics...

Cypress being fairly soft, I don't know how bad it is/will be on
elongating the bolt holes over time--cedar is pretty bad about that ime.