Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Exterior glue questions

On Apr 2, 5:59*am, " wrote:
I've posted here before about gates I am making out of cypress.

First question: In addition to the carriage bolts that sandwich the
pieces together, would it make sense to use glue or construction
adhesive to glue the pieces together

I'd say yes. Metal fasteners in wood can work loose (make it first
creaky,
then wobbly, then all the holes turn eggshaped...). Twisting forces
at the joints put high stresses on the sides of the bolts, and glue
can keep those forces in check. It also fills any gap that might
otherwise
collect water and freeze.

Don't tighten the carriage bolts much; crushing the wood fiber isn't
useful.