Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dukes909@yahoo.com is offline

Default Exterior glue questions

I've posted here before about gates I am making out of cypress. They
will be very similar to these:

http://opalko.smugmug.com/Other/Marc...34_ezNY8-M.jpg

First question: In addition to the carriage bolts that sandwich the
pieces together, would it make sense to use glue or construction
adhesive to glue the pieces together (in the same places the carriage
bolts are located)? I always thought gluing long grain against short
grain was a no-no, but would it do any good here?

Second: I have a lot of 2" wide strips left over from making the
pieces for the gates. Rather than toss them in a ravine, I was
thinking I could take 2 or 3 of these strips and exterior glue, and
make new, wider pieces (with a jointer). Would these new 5" or 6"
glued up pieces be usable outdoors just as 'regular' solid pieces;
i.e. will glue hold up here?
Cheers!