Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop-Made Dust Port for Ryobi Surface Planer

A few years ago I saw pictures and discussion of a shop-made dust
collection fitting for a Ryobi AP-10 or AP-12 Surface planer. It was
on ABPW or someone's workshop web site. It was pieced together from
2" or 4" PVC pipe with the appropriate fittings to adapt it to a dust
collection system. The concept was pretty simple and similar to that
used on some of the Ridgid machines. I'm trying to come up with the
best way to make and attach a similar collector without butchering the
plastic dust diverter/tool holder.

I have Googled my brains out (Well, that really didn't take long) and
cannot find it. Does anyone remember this description; or better has
anyone built a similar collector port?

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:08:01 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

A few years ago I saw pictures and discussion of a shop-made dust
collection fitting for a Ryobi AP-10 or AP-12 Surface planer. It was
on ABPW or someone's workshop web site. It was pieced together from
2" or 4" PVC pipe with the appropriate fittings to adapt it to a dust
collection system. The concept was pretty simple and similar to that
used on some of the Ridgid machines. I'm trying to come up with the
best way to make and attach a similar collector without butchering the
plastic dust diverter/tool holder.

I have Googled my brains out (Well, that really didn't take long) and
cannot find it. Does anyone remember this description; or better has
anyone built a similar collector port?

RonB

I built one for my Makita surface planer. I used 3/4" wood for the
ends and sheet metal for the body. I used nails to fasten the metal
to the wood, then caulk to seal all seams. I used existing screws on
the planer to attach the dust hood so it can be removed easily when
needed. I would have just bought one, but not after finding out how
much they cost and fairly quick and easy to make. Also, I made a
crimping tool to shape the 4" metal duct. After a quick spray
painting, it looks good too and been using it for almost 20 years.

Strange these surface planers don't come with dust hoods. I'm sure
there are planers running without DC, it really makes a mess without
one. The DC air movement helps keep the blades/motor cool too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I hadn't thought about sheet metal but I do have a small roll
in my shop. I'm guessing the reason the old Ryobi doesn't have a dust
port is age. It is a early to mid 90's vintage and home shop
collection might not have been as popular then.

RonB