Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Shop-Made Dust Port for Ryobi Surface Planer

On Apr 7, 5:14*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:08:01 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

A few years ago I saw pictures and discussion of a shop-made dust
collection fitting for a Ryobi AP-10 or AP-12 Surface planer. *It was
on ABPW or someone's workshop web site. *It was pieced together from
2" or 4" PVC pipe with the appropriate fittings to adapt it to a dust
collection system. *The concept was pretty simple and *similar to that
used on some of the Ridgid machines. *I'm trying to come up with the
best way to make and attach a similar collector without butchering the
plastic dust diverter/tool holder.

I have Googled my brains out (Well, that really didn't take long) and
cannot find it. *Does anyone remember this description; or better has
anyone built a similar collector port?

RonB

I built one for my Makita surface planer. *I used 3/4" wood for the
ends and sheet metal for the body. *I used nails to fasten the metal
to the wood, then caulk to seal all seams. * I used existing screws on
the planer to attach the dust hood so it can be removed easily when
needed. *I would have just bought one, but not after finding out how
much they cost and fairly quick and easy to make. * Also, I made a
crimping tool to shape the 4" metal duct. *After a quick spray
painting, it looks good too and been using it for almost 20 years.

Strange these surface planers don't come with dust hoods. *I'm sure
there are planers running without DC, it really makes a mess without
one. *The DC air movement helps keep the blades/motor cool too.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about sheet metal but I do have a small roll
in my shop. I'm guessing the reason the old Ryobi doesn't have a dust
port is age. It is a early to mid 90's vintage and home shop
collection might not have been as popular then.

RonB