Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A machine question -- on topic!

Ok, here's my contribution to more woodworking set of topics:

We just had a thread about favorite tool, here's the alternative:

What tool did you buy, that 1) you never used beyond once or twice or
2) ended up being worthless and you kept it anyway.

Here's mine:

Years ago, I bought a guide for cutting sheets of plywood. Cost me
over
$100 and I only used it once. I still have it.

Your turn.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Ok, here's my contribution to more woodworking set of topics:

We just had a thread about favorite tool, here's the alternative:

What tool did you buy, that 1) you never used beyond once or twice or
2) ended up being worthless and you kept it anyway.

Here's mine:

Years ago, I bought a guide for cutting sheets of plywood. Cost me
over
$100 and I only used it once. I still have it.

Your turn.

MJ

Some times the "quality" of the tool and the "ease of use" and the "what
you would expect" factor in as to whether you would use the tool more than
once.

I am very close to buying "another" guide for cutting plywood sheets. My
first one sucked, and was a PIA to use. My next one made by Festool will
come with a Festool circular saw. That guide is stupid easy, conveinent,
and probably more than what you would expect from a guide.

After that

PC Detail Sander tops the list.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I still use a guide to cut down sheet goods. Much handier for my
style of work.

The biggest waste of time and money I own is the DeWalt version of the
Rotozip. One of my buddies bought one and convinced me you could use
it for about anything.

Quite the opposite is true. I tried to cut 3/8" plywood with it, and
got smoke with the proper bits. I tried to used it as a laminate
trimmer, and not enough torque. I don't need the mess it makes to cut
a hole or two in sheetrock.

However, it was a Christmas gift, so it is still with us. It sits on
the shelf, unused unopened for about the last 8 - 10 years.

What a waste.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/10 1:32 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Got the Dremel Detail Sander, rather use a piece of sandpaper in my hand.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 1:32*pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

PC Detail Sander tops the list.- Hide quoted text -

Just made the same thing for my jigsaw, a narrow strip
of 3/4" ply screwed to a wider strip of 3/8" ply, cut the edges
off with the jigsaw, line the sole side with several strips
of friction tape. Cost was three minutes' digging through
the scrap bin for material. Works perfectly. Hold down against
the line to be cut and saw, no time wasted looking for and
setting up clamps -- less really is more. This device WILL
get used frequently.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:24:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Ok, here's my contribution to more woodworking set of topics:

We just had a thread about favorite tool, here's the alternative:

What tool did you buy, that 1) you never used beyond once or twice or
2) ended up being worthless and you kept it anyway.

Here's mine:

Years ago, I bought a guide for cutting sheets of plywood. Cost me
over
$100 and I only used it once. I still have it.

Your turn.

MJ

I think I have one of those - along with a "trim tramp"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Not a tool, but a "Craftsman" miter saw stand, from Highland Woodworking
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally twisted my
arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see what
it looked like before he spent his money!)

Was this because Laguna or Festool didn't offer a miter saw stand?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not a tool, but a "Craftsman" miter saw stand, from Highland Woodworking
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally twisted my
arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see what
it looked like before he spent his money!)

Anyhow, the rubber feet wouldn't fit the tubular legs, the wheels are in
an awkward place, and the whole thing is basically an accident looking for
a place to happen ... it's been stored in a corner with never a saw
mounted on it yet.

Leon took one look at it, up went his nose, and immediately wanted to
know why I would ever, fergawrdssakes, buy such a thing?!

I have this one and it's awesome.
http://xrl.us/mitersawstand

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 00:48:09 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Not a tool, but a "Craftsman" miter saw stand, from Highland
Woodworking or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon
literally twisted my arm and made me buy it! (I think he was
interested but needed to see what it looked like before he spent his
money!)

Anyhow, the rubber feet wouldn't fit the tubular legs, the wheels are
in an awkward place, and the whole thing is basically an accident
looking for a place to happen ... it's been stored in a corner with
never a saw mounted on it yet.

Leon took one look at it, up went his nose, and immediately wanted to
know why I would ever, fergawrdssakes, buy such a thing?!

I have this one and it's awesome.
http://xrl.us/mitersawstand

I have one from HF that is similar. It has more pull out supports. I
wouldn't give up this table.

Paul T.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2010 12:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Not a tool, but a "Craftsman" miter saw stand, from Highland Woodworking
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally
twisted my
arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see
what
it looked like before he spent his money!)

Anyhow, the rubber feet wouldn't fit the tubular legs, the wheels are in
an awkward place, and the whole thing is basically an accident
looking for
a place to happen ... it's been stored in a corner with never a saw
mounted on it yet.

Leon took one look at it, up went his nose, and immediately wanted to
know why I would ever, fergawrdssakes, buy such a thing?!

I have this one and it's awesome.
http://xrl.us/mitersawstand

One of my trim carpenters has the Ridgid. He added a couple of
reinforcing welds before he got it to his perfect satisfaction, but
loves it.

I messed with it a bit on the last job and have to admit that it's the
best one I've operated in use thus far. Very easy to fold up and transport.

Mine is shop made and a PITA to move, but works well when stationary,
which is what it is designed for, although it works well onsite on a
couple of sawhorses. Takes up too much room in the shop though.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:28:02 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

I have a Dewalt stand for my (HF) SCMS[*] It's rather nice and a couple of
extra flanges makes it simple matter to change tools. I also have the Delta
stand that I use for my DW735 planer.
[*] It's on the replacement short list

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/10 8:28 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Yeah, soon after pinching my hand *once,* I fell in love with it.
The best part is the shock that takes all the weight of the saw falling
down when it folds up. I added a couple casters to the top/handle end,
so it would roll, flat, into my minivan.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:38:41 -0500, Swingman wrote:
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally twisted
my arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see
what it looked like before he spent his money!)

Dang that Leon guy eh? Do the smart thing. Wrap it up and give it to
him for a birthday or Christmas present.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2010 5:36 AM, Upscale wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:38:41 -0500, wrote:
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally twisted
my arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see
what it looked like before he spent his money!)

Dang that Leon guy eh? Do the smart thing. Wrap it up and give it to
him for a birthday or Christmas present.

Have tried similar ploys with Leon ... he just gives it right back to
you on your next birthday/Christmas.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/27/2010 12:24 PM, wrote:

Your turn.

Not a tool, but a "Craftsman" miter saw stand, from Highland Woodworking
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally twisted my
arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see what
it looked like before he spent his money!)

Anyhow, the rubber feet wouldn't fit the tubular legs, the wheels are in
an awkward place, and the whole thing is basically an accident looking for
a place to happen ... it's been stored in a corner with never a saw
mounted on it yet.

Leon took one look at it, up went his nose, and immediately wanted to
know why I would ever, fergawrdssakes, buy such a thing?!

It's for sale ... if anyone is interested!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I've Ridgid's/Rigid's MSUV (Mitre Saw Utility Vehicle, or something like
that) and I can't say enough good things about it. Sturdy, breaks down/moves
easily, never had a prob with it. If I hadn't built a rolling cart for my
yellow planer, I'd buy one for it as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 1:24*pm, "
wrote:
Ok, here's my contribution to *more woodworking set of topics:

We just had a thread about favorite tool, here's the alternative:

What tool did you buy, that 1) you never used beyond once or twice or
2) ended up being worthless and you kept it anyway.

Here's mine:

Years ago, I bought a guide for cutting sheets of plywood. Cost me
over
$100 and I only used it once. I still have it.

Your turn.

MJ

My worst tool buy was a Skill 1/4 sheet orbital sander. The spring
loaded clamps which were used to mount the sandpaper were better
suited to break finger nails, and vibrate the nrves in your arm.
Finally just tossed it.

Note to Swingman;
The ill fitting rubber crutch tips which don't quite fit the legs of
those saw stands can be gotten on if you boil the tips. That softens
them enough to squeeze them on.
Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
On Mar 27, 1:24 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Naw those things were pretty HD, IIRC about 1/4" thick there was not going
to be any rolling. ;~) He did get to use them as guards. He put one on
the end of his BS fence front guide. Another made a handy glue brush water
container.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/27/2010 7:00 PM, GROVER wrote:

Note to Swingman;
The ill fitting rubber crutch tips which don't quite fit the legs of
those saw stands can be gotten on if you boil the tips. That softens
them enough to squeeze them on.

Not in this case ... you'd have better luck getting a hammer handle up a
gnats ass.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Ok, here's my contribution to more woodworking set of topics:

We just had a thread about favorite tool, here's the alternative:

What tool did you buy, that 1) you never used beyond once or twice or
2) ended up being worthless and you kept it anyway.

Here's mine:

Years ago, I bought a guide for cutting sheets of plywood. Cost me
over
$100 and I only used it once. I still have it.

Your turn.

MJ

Xmas gift of a B&D electric adjustable cresent wrench. Total piece of
crap other then watching the jaw go in and out.

Mike M

off topic question bumhead Woodworking Plans and Photos 18 December 5th 09 03:15 PM
off topic question a34655 Woodworking 21 March 12th 07 08:54 AM
question off topic about nailers Bruce Ferguson Woodturning 5 November 9th 06 03:41 AM
Way off topic question B.B. Metalworking 131 February 8th 06 06:23 AM
Off topic-question about newsgroups Eric R Snow Metalworking 15 July 31st 05 06:30 AM