Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 144,000 horsepower

Which is how/why she could do 44kts(50mph), which is
pretty much hauling ass for anything that size in the
water.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...78.html?page=2

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 4:01*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
Which is how/why she could do 44kts(50mph), which is
pretty much hauling ass for anything that size in the
water.

Zz Yzx wrote:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...on/4263478.htm....

Funny thing is, that she would probably do 42 kts with 50,000 HP and
the next 2 knots would take 3 times as much. Such is the rule of
displacement vessels. To take that one theoretical step further, if
they wanted to go 46 knots, they's need 400,000 HP. 47kt 1 million. 50
kts a bezllion HP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...on/4263478.htm...

Funny thing is, that she would probably do 42 kts with 50,000 HP and
the next 2 knots would take 3 times as much. Such is the rule of
displacement vessels. To take that one theoretical step further, if
they wanted to go 46 knots, they's need 400,000 HP. 47kt 1 million. 50
kts a bezllion HP

I think 55 knots or so is the theoretical maximum a vessel can move through
the water, irrespective of the power pushing it.

As the speed increases, the vessel begins to outrun its bow wave. It then
has to ride over the bow wave or push through it. The faster the vessel, the
bigger the bow wave.

Sort of like the increase in mass with velocity and, as the velocity
approaches the speed of light, the mass becomes infinite. Only not exactly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...on/4263478.htm....

Funny thing is, that she would probably do 42 kts with 50,000 HP and
the next 2 knots would take 3 times as much. Such is the rule of
displacement vessels. To take that one theoretical step further, if
they wanted to go 46 knots, they's need 400,000 HP. 47kt 1 million. 50
kts a bezllion HP

I think 55 knots or so is the theoretical maximum a vessel can move through
the water, irrespective of the power pushing it.

As the speed increases, the vessel begins to outrun its bow wave. It then
has to ride over the bow wave or push through it. The faster the vessel, the
bigger the bow wave.

Sort of like the increase in mass with velocity and, as the velocity
approaches the speed of light, the mass becomes infinite. Only not exactly.

Not exactly indeed.

The maximum speed of a displacement vessel is determined by its
length. The longer, the faster.... with the same power.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...on/4263478.htm...

Funny thing is, that she would probably do 42 kts with 50,000 HP and
the next 2 knots would take 3 times as much. Such is the rule of
displacement vessels. To take that one theoretical step further, if
they wanted to go 46 knots, they's need 400,000 HP. 47kt 1 million. 50
kts a bezllion HP

I think 55 knots or so is the theoretical maximum a vessel can move through
the water, irrespective of the power pushing it.

Nope. not even close

Currently, unlimited power-boat races are in the 160MPH range. in years past,
they got up into the 200 MPH range, but engine/fuel restrictions have brought
the speeds down.

'Cigarette' boats can reach 80+knots in calm water.

Some torpedoes -- which travel entirely underwater -- have sustained speeds
well over 100 knots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Bonomi wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

unlimiteds aren't displacement boats, they're hydroplanes. Cigarette
boats are also on plane at speed and therefore not displacement vessels.
My physicist buddy that does torpedo testing says max speed for a
conventional torpedo is 55 knots, but supercavitating torpedoes are
capable of much higher speeds by essentially traveling in a gas bubble
and are therefore also not technically [water] displacement devices.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Bonomi" wrote:

'Cigarette' boats can reach 80+knots in calm water.

'Cigarette' boats AKA: Bathtub toys.

I used to have to listen to there bull crap about how 'Cigarette'
boats were "Blue Water" boats.

Used to **** off those guys no end when they would schedule a race
then have to stay tied up at dock when a front would come thru the
night before and they couldn't handle the 4-6 ft chop with 15-20 knots
of wind that resulted.

I'd hang a 110 jib, tuck a reef in the main and go out and play.

Gawd did that **** them off.

I just grinned and got a cold one.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Winterburn wrote:

My physicist buddy that does torpedo testing says max speed for a
conventional torpedo is 55 knots, but supercavitating torpedoes are
capable of much higher speeds by essentially traveling in a gas bubble
and are therefore also not technically [water] displacement devices.

I'll simply suggest that _something_ is moving the water out of the way,
be it the torpedo body or the 'gas bubble'. Else an elementary fact
of physics is being violated. *OR* somebody has managed to implement
the tunnel diode at a macro scale. grin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2010 10:39 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Robert Bonomi wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

Your physicist buddy is playing word games. The torpedo is going so
fast that flow detaches from its surface at the transition from the nose
cone to the body. But it is most assuredly travelling in water.

In any case the British seem to be laboring under the misconception that
their Spearfish torpedo can exceed 60 knots. Perhaps he should call
them and inform them of their error.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 10, 10:45*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:
'Cigarette' boats can reach 80+knots in calm water.

'Cigarette' boats AKA: Bathtub toys.

I used to have to listen to there bull crap about how 'Cigarette'
boats were "Blue Water" boats.

Used to **** off those guys no end when they would schedule a race
then have to stay tied up at dock when a front would come thru the
night before and they couldn't handle the 4-6 ft chop with 15-20 knots
of wind that resulted.

I'd hang a 110 jib, tuck a reef in the main and go out and play.

Gawd did that **** them off.

I just grinned and got a cold one.

Lew

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I
miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:01:09 -0500, the infamous Pat Barber
scrawled the following:

Which is how/why she could do 44kts(50mph), which is
pretty much hauling ass for anything that size in the
water.

If you thought that was a sharp bow profile (which I feel is pretty
much standard for destroyers and other navy ships) check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/yeurjz6 The HSV-2 Swift, a 323-foot U.S. Navy
high-speed vessel with a real knife-edge bow and outriggers.

I wonder how much wood they burn in her boilers. (lame attempt to
bring it back on topic)

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:39:38 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Robert Bonomi wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

I can't wait to see the next hydroplaning aircraft carrier!

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/7151 233mph torpedo.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:39:38 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Robert Bonomi wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

One of my all-time favourite photographs:

Raw energy at it's glorious finest

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/WHeeee.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:15:52 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I
miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.

I'm not a boat nut, but a friend of mine had an old wooden sailboat in
Southern California. I believe it was a ketch -20 some feet long -
anyway a rig he could handle by himself. Oak with a heavy lead keel. He
claimed it wouldn't even get moving till the Coast Guard put out the
small craft warning :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 10:45 pm, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:
[...]

I pitchpoled my 16 several times. It's amazing how far a body can
fly from the back of a trampoline. grin

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter's rump year-round

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nonny wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 10:45 pm, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:
[...]

try a more modern cat, like a nacra or larger prindle, without a spin. you
have to do something really stupid and go out of your way to pitchpole a
prindle 19 or 18.2. i've never come even really close to pitchpoling my p19
and i've been out in some heavy winds. they have wave piercing hull forms,
so go through rather than up and down, so it's much harder to catch the nose
and trip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 3:11*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Mar 10, 10:45 pm, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:
[...]

Especially is shallow waters...LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 3:27*pm, "chaniarts"
wrote:
Nonny wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 10, 10:45 pm, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:
[...]

You can jury-rig some wing-type baffles to help ride up on the wave,
but the adverse effect is that IF you dig in, you're looking at your
own butt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2010 12:40 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:15:52 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I
miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.

I'm not a boat nut, but a friend of mine had an old wooden sailboat in
Southern California. I believe it was a ketch -20 some feet long -
anyway a rig he could handle by himself. Oak with a heavy lead keel. He
claimed it wouldn't even get moving till the Coast Guard put out the
small craft warning :-).

Speaking of sail, the thing that amazes me is the speeds that are being
sustained under sail. At the rate things are going it won't be long
before United States' transatlantic record falls to a sailing
yacht--last August Banque Populaire 5 came within about 9 hours of
beating it. 32 knots under sail, all the way across. I remember when
Crossbow first managed to struggle over 30 knots on a short measured
course and now that's being bettered for thousands of miles at a
stretch, and here's what a big boat going fast looks like today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGS7YCDk3Y. Same boat flipped at
SIXTY-ONE KNOTS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:21:37 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:39:38 -0700, the infamous Doug Winterburn
scrawled the following:

Robert Bonomi wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote:
[...]

Here, hold my beer...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:21:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
I can't wait to see the next hydroplaning aircraft carrier!

One of my all-time favourite photographs:

Raw energy at it's glorious finest

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/WHeeee.jpg

Cool. Is that thing listing from just going over a humongous swell,
or what?

Here's mine. (Dad was an Air Force pilot; this isn't him.)
http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/O.../sonicboom.jpg

More "power of nature" shots I love:

http://tinyurl.com/ygoavfz trees live on

http://tinyurl.com/c8zkx7 lightning (no "e", guys)

http://tinyurl.com/y9t447t Niagra frozen 1911 (pre-AGWK)

http://tinyurl.com/6jq8w8 we left Anchorage 10 years before the quake

And last but not least, 100 stunning pics everyone should see. There
are some real doozies he http://tinyurl.com/y9oha8e

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:26:43 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:21:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
I can't wait to see the next hydroplaning aircraft carrier!

One of my all-time favourite photographs:

Raw energy at it's glorious finest

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/WHeeee.jpg

Cool. Is that thing listing from just going over a humongous swell,
or what?

Think skid (notice the bubbles off the bow). The swell is his.

Here's mine. (Dad was an Air Force pilot; this isn't him.)
http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/O.../sonicboom.jpg

Vapor condensing. I've seen some amazing pictures similar to this.

More "power of nature" shots I love:

http://tinyurl.com/ygoavfz trees live on

http://tinyurl.com/c8zkx7 lightning (no "e", guys)

http://tinyurl.com/y9t447t Niagra frozen 1911 (pre-AGWK)

http://tinyurl.com/6jq8w8 we left Anchorage 10 years before the quake

And last but not least, 100 stunning pics everyone should see. There
are some real doozies he http://tinyurl.com/y9oha8e

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

And last but not least, 100 stunning pics everyone should see. There
are some real doozies he http://tinyurl.com/y9oha8e

Thanks for that. She also runs the website

http://www.furrytalk.com/

which has huge numbers of cute animal pictures.

My wife is a big fan of both nature and snimal pictures. This stuff will get
sent out through a vast network of folks who apprciate this sort of thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 7:26*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:21:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
I can't wait to see the next hydroplaning aircraft carrier!

One of my all-time favourite photographs:

Raw energy at it's glorious finest

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/WHeeee.jpg

Cool. *Is that thing listing from just going over a humongous swell,
or what?

Just a hard turn at good speed. here's another one:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...RRRDtoPORT.jpg

And the spookiest picture ever...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/chaiten5.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:03:10 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

And the spookiest picture ever...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/chaiten5.jpg

Wow! That is one mean funnel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:31:43 -0600, the infamous
" scrawled the
following:

wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:21:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
I can't wait to see the next hydroplaning aircraft carrier!

One of my all-time favourite photographs:

Raw energy at it's glorious finest

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/WHeeee.jpg

Cool. Is that thing listing from just going over a humongous swell,
or what?

Think skid (notice the bubbles off the bow). The swell is his.

Wull, ya just don't "whip a U-ey" in a boat which takes a mile and a
half to stop or turn.

Here's mine. (Dad was an Air Force pilot; this isn't him.)
http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/O.../sonicboom.jpg

Vapor condensing. I've seen some amazing pictures similar to this.

Yeah, me, too, but this was the first and best I've seen.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:10:15 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

wrote

And last but not least, 100 stunning pics everyone should see. There
are some real doozies he http://tinyurl.com/y9oha8e

Thanks for that. She also runs the website

http://www.furrytalk.com/

which has huge numbers of cute animal pictures.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Did you know: that a baby giraffe is born over 6' off the ground and
its mother dumps it on its head at birth? She can't squat so the baby
has a very hard time starting out in the world.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:03:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 11, 7:26*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:21:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, Larry Jaques wrote:
I can't wait to see the next hydroplaning aircraft carrier!

One of my all-time favourite photographs:

Raw energy at it's glorious finest

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...toy/WHeeee.jpg

Cool. *Is that thing listing from just going over a humongous swell,
or what?

Just a hard turn at good speed. here's another one:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...RRRDtoPORT.jpg

"Lt. Cmdr. Hudson, how many times have I told you not not SKID the
Carrier? Go to your quarters without dinner!"

And the spookiest picture ever...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/chaiten5.jpg

That's a black and evil cloud if I ever saw one, alright.
shudder Post a copy of THAT on your front window on Halloween night
and watch the candy giveaway count go way down!

OK, enough computer for one night. I'm off to bed to get back to
Stephen Hunter's _Black Light_ sniper mystery.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2010 8:15 AM, Robatoy wrote:

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I
miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.

Just wondering...

If I reworked a Hoby as a jet boat, how much power do you guess it might
take to push it along at, say, 5 and 10 mph?

I might be about to set my beer aside and try something goofy...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 10:57*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/11/2010 8:15 AM, Robatoy wrote:

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I
miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.

Just wondering...

If I reworked a Hoby as a jet boat, how much power do you guess it might
take to push it along at, say, 5 and 10 mph?

I might be about to set my beer aside and try something goofy...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Jet? As in water jet or Jet Jet? *s* But you wouldn't be talking
fluidyne here, eh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2010 11:09 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 12, 10:57 am, Morris wrote:
On 3/11/2010 8:15 AM, Robatoy wrote:

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I
miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.

Just wondering...

If I reworked a Hoby as a jet boat, how much power do you guess it might
take to push it along at, say, 5 and 10 mph?

I might be about to set my beer aside and try something goofy...

Jet? As in water jet or Jet Jet? *s* But you wouldn't be talking
fluidyne here, eh?

Yup - fluidyne water jet. I've been doing a lot of re-design and it
appears that I can boost both the efficiency and the oscillation rate to
the limits of mechanical check valves.

With a platform like the Hoby, I think I can mount a tracking solar
concentrator and have 3-4 kW of input power to work with and (perhaps)
50% of that in pump power.

My problem is that I'm not sure that'd be enough to pull a twin-hull
platform.

Heh - it just occurred to me that if I needed a horn, I could disconnect
the pump and use the engine (at say, } to warn off the jet
skiers.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 1:32*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
[...]

I thoroughly despise jet skis..... to be more precise, I thoroughly
despise the Great Unwashed who seem to see the need to get drunk and
destroy the very expensive peace and quiet one pays for on the shores
of otherwise untainted inland lakes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2010 1:32 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
[...]

That should be about the same power output as the old Evinrude Lightwin.
Not gonna move a Hobie _fast_ but it will move it at a useful speed
assuming you don't lose much efficiency in the propulsor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2010 1:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

That should be about the same power output as the old Evinrude Lightwin.
Not gonna move a Hobie _fast_ but it will move it at a useful speed
assuming you don't lose much efficiency in the propulsor.

Thanks, John, that's what I needed to know. I'm not sure how well it's
going to work out, but that tells me that it's worth a try. The engine
isn't anywhere near as big a deal as the tracking system needed to keep
the collector pointed at the sun.

Propulsion will be essentially a straight path with a tee connection to
the engine between a pair of check valves. During the expansion half of
the cycle water will be discharged rearward, and during the contraction
half of the cycle water will be sucked in from the forward direction.

I don't need to go fast - I just need to come _back_.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/12/2010 1:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

That should be about the same power output as the old Evinrude
Lightwin. Not gonna move a Hobie _fast_ but it will move it at a
useful speed assuming you don't lose much efficiency in the
propulsor.

Thanks, John, that's what I needed to know. I'm not sure how well it's
going to work out, but that tells me that it's worth a try. The engine
isn't anywhere near as big a deal as the tracking system needed to
keep the collector pointed at the sun.

Propulsion will be essentially a straight path with a tee connection
to the engine between a pair of check valves. During the expansion
half of the cycle water will be discharged rearward, and during the
contraction half of the cycle water will be sucked in from the
forward direction.
I don't need to go fast - I just need to come _back_.

ron @ fastlane sailing in san diego (http://www.fastlanesailing.com/) has a
hobie with a hard deck and power boat console mounted on top. they run
theirs with an outboard, but i don't know how big it is. you might contact
him for further details.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2010 2:50 PM, chaniarts wrote:

ron @ fastlane sailing in san diego (http://www.fastlanesailing.com/) has a
hobie with a hard deck and power boat console mounted on top. they run
theirs with an outboard, but i don't know how big it is. you might contact
him for further details.

I've stashed the link for when I have an engine ready for the job. First
I need to get engine and tracking system worked out. The Hobie (spelling
corrected) will be a rental boat, so whatever I come up with will be
something I can assemble and set in place at the marina, then lift
off/disassemble when I'm done.

Thanks!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/10 12:42 PM, Robatoy wrote:
I thoroughly despise jet skis..... to be more precise, I thoroughly
despise the Great Unwashed who seem to see the need to get drunk and
destroy the very expensive peace and quiet one pays for on the shores
of otherwise untainted inland lakes.

I'm with you one that.... add to the list anything with unnecessarily
loud engines, including Pick-up trucks and Motorcycles.

You Harley riders will take issue with me, but they are nothing more
than a "look at me" device. "Ooo, look at me, I'm so cool, I drive a
ridiculously loud motorcycle. F#@k the rest of civilization and *your*
relaxation, I have a right to be loud. After all, I'm a dentist all
week and need an outlet for my inner beast. Oh yeah, and I have a small
pecker." :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:18:57 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Left to their own devices, Darwin kicks in.

Same applies to the SeaRay crowd.

But no fences as the snow mobile folk have.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 5:22*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/12/10 12:42 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I thoroughly despise jet skis..... to be more precise, I thoroughly
despise the Great Unwashed who seem to see the need to get drunk and
destroy the very expensive peace and quiet one pays for on the shores
of otherwise untainted inland lakes.

I'm with you one that.... add to the list anything with unnecessarily
loud engines, including Pick-up trucks and Motorcycles.

You Harley riders will take issue with me, but they are nothing more
than a "look at me" device. *"Ooo, look at me, I'm so cool, I drive a
ridiculously loud motorcycle. *F#@k the rest of civilization and *your*
relaxation, I have a right to be loud. *After all, I'm a dentist all
week and need an outlet for my inner beast. *Oh yeah, and I have a small
pecker." * :-)

Angela is convinced that there has to be a direct inverse relationship
between the size of a guy's SUV tires and the size of his dick.
I mean her girlfriends all just swoon at the sight of a monster
truck..:-)
I used to drive a MiniCooperS in university. Eh? Eh? =0)
(Robbie who remembers almost missing a rent payment because he
couldn't turn down a deal on 4 minilites. Turns out the guy that sold
them to me needed his rent money. I felt bad about that.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Morris Dovey wrote:
[...]

That'll give you a theoretical roughly 2HP. Enough to move it around,
but -not- with much speed. Think 'trolling motor'.

OTOH, if you can fit one concentrator/fluidyne, maybe you can get 2-3 of
'em on board. Now, you're approaching the capabilities of a 5HP outboard.
That should be enough to leave a wake -- at least a small one. grin

My problem is that I'm not sure that'd be enough to pull a twin-hull
platform.

Heh - it just occurred to me that if I needed a horn, I could disconnect
the pump and use the engine (at say, } to warn off the jet
skiers.

That hurts just to *think* about it.