Derek Hartzell

Default Horsepower Improves Quality of Cut

My theory is that if you have higher horsepower, you will have more
consistent cuts especially on large, thin bowls due to consistent rpms. A
weak motor will allow speed to drop and due to the flexibility of the bowl,
the cut will be inconsistent.

Anyone ever noticed this?

Thoughts?

David Wade

I'll agree with that, and on a similar vein, it seems to me that
horsepower reduces some kinds of catches. Rather than stall it pulls the
wood through the cut. This supposes that a) you intended to make that
particular cut, and b) your technique and posture is such that it didn't
rip your arm off or launch you into the ceiling. ;o)
David (who jumped from a 3/4 hp JET to a 3hp Oneway a couple years ago)
--
http://www.wademade.net

Derek Hartzell wrote:
My theory is that if you have higher horsepower, you will have more
consistent cuts especially on large, thin bowls due to consistent rpms. A
weak motor will allow speed to drop and due to the flexibility of the bowl,
the cut will be inconsistent.

Anyone ever noticed this?

Thoughts?

George

I don't press hard enough on finishing cuts to slow the 3/4 on mine.
Suppose if you pressed, might slow down, but my carving tools leave a
burnished surface cutting wood at hand speed.

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
My theory is that if you have higher horsepower, you will have more
consistent cuts especially on large, thin bowls due to consistent rpms. A
weak motor will allow speed to drop and due to the flexibility of the

bowl,
the cut will be inconsistent.

Anyone ever noticed this?

Thoughts?

Derek Andrews

Derek Hartzell wrote:

My theory is that if you have higher horsepower, you will have more
consistent cuts especially on large, thin bowls due to consistent rpms. A
weak motor will allow speed to drop and due to the flexibility of the bowl,
the cut will be inconsistent.

My feeling is that the size of the turning and depth of cut needs to be
adjusted to the capability of the motor. This is simply because if the
motor speed drops, the tool feed rate will need to be reduced, otherwise
there will be a change in the characteristics of the cut and the quality
/ direction of the cut surface. It is unlikely that any turner can react
fast enough to the sudden change of motor speed for there to be no
visible signs on the resulting surface.

My productivity and quality increased considerably when I upgraded from
a knackered Delta 46-700 to a Nova 3000 with 1.5 hp motor. I suspect
though that the improvement is more to do with reduced vibration from a
heavier lathe and a more balanced motor than it has to do with horsepower.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
Wedding Favors ~ Artisan Crafted Gifts ~ One-of-a-Kind Woodturning

Arch

Do the speed changes of a dead center drive or a slipping belt, as well
as low speed itself reduce the quality of a cut? Arch

Fortiter,

billh

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message
Derek Hartzell wrote:

[...]

I also believe the reduced vibration is more important than brute force HP
especially with thin pieces.
Billh

william_b_noble

aaah, don't believe this too much - I have a dent in my roof from about 50#
of wood hitting it, when the blank quit bouncing, I noticed that it had a
3/8 to 1/2 inch deep gouge from a catch. So no, horsepower won't save your
a**. However, skill does help - a few more years of turning and I don't do
that any more.

Derek Hartzell wrote:
My theory is that if you have higher horsepower, you will have more
consistent cuts especially on large, thin bowls due to consistent rpms.

weak motor will allow speed to drop and due to the flexibility of the

bowl,
the cut will be inconsistent.

Anyone ever noticed this?

Thoughts?

Bjarte Runderheim

"Derek Hartzell" skrev i melding
My theory is that if you have higher horsepower, you will have more
consistent cuts especially on large, thin bowls due to consistent rpms. A
weak motor will allow speed to drop and due to the flexibility of the

bowl,
the cut will be inconsistent.

Anyone ever noticed this?

Thoughts?

I am currently doing smaller things on a Record CL1.
"Smaller things" meaning bowls up to 12" by 4", platters of the same
diameter, and spindlework around the 30" by 2" and so on.
The CL1 has _1/3_ HP.

Only when roughing out the deepest bowls do I miss some HP.
Sharp tools, knowing what you want to do, and some techniqe,
these beat the hell out of HP every time, in my opinion.

Too much HP, a solid catch with a 5/8 gouge, and you're in for
the kill as your gouge is wrenched out of your hands, spinning
through the air, bouncing off the wall and hitting you square in your ear
as you duck away.

Bjarte

Derek Hartzell

I agree with this, also. Try taking a 1/2" depth of cut and not stalling a
motor on a little lathe. The speed at which Mike Mahoney hollows a bowl on
his video "From the Tree to the Table" is amazing. 3 horsepower is a key
component.