Morris Dovey

Default [OT] reminiscences

Doug Winterburn wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:02:35 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

Unless, of course, you happened to be writing FORTRAN - in
which case it was column six. Lucky you. I started on a
Bendix G-15 in '59 - and by '66 we'd stopped using punched
paper tape on at least the larger systems. Cards took a bit
longer to disappear.

I went to work for IBM and they turned me into a 360 assembler
type.

Yuppers. Did 1130 Asm & FORTRAN; 1800 Asm & FORTRAN; 360 & 370
Asm, FORTRAN, SNOBOL, PL/I, PL/S, APL, PL/DS; and a bunch of Asms
for controllers like UC0 & UC.5 (which grew into the 81XX). Left
IBM and did similar stuff on a bunch of other hardware. Wish I'd
had a Gnu C toolchain back then...

I kind of like the formatting at the viewer end because it
allows for a larger range of viewing window widths...

Except that if the author had a particular format in mind,
changing it at the viewer makes his efforts null and void...

Agreed - although it depends on whether the emphasis should be on
writin' readin' or readin' writin' (-:

It would be nice to have a bit more control of both style and
format - all we need is enough universal bandwidth to support it;
and to replace all these primitive dial-up connections with
something cheap, fast, and reliable. We'd probably be halfway
there if we could figure how to make spam explode on creation.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Doug Miller

Default Table saw - good deal?

In article m, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:02:35 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

Unless, of course, you happened to be writing FORTRAN - in which
case it was column six. Lucky you. I started on a Bendix G-15 in
'59 - and by '66 we'd stopped using punched paper tape on at
least the larger systems. Cards took a bit longer to disappear.

I went to work for IBM and they turned me into a 360 assembler type.

My first real job was programming in assembler on a 370-145. Ahh, those were
the days! I *loved* it!

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Jerry Gilreath

Ok, I was reading that into it. Like I said, I have three employees that use
this one too, so I don't want to get blamed when they can't clock in or out.

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:25:10 +0000, Jerry Gilreath wrote:

Hmmmm. Ain't even going nowhere with this one. If nobody can read what I
type, then KF me. If I got in here screwing around with something, and
messed something up royally, then there'd be he;; to pay from everybody

else
that has to use it. G

I don't think any Outlook users have a problem _unless_ they _do_ muck
with the default preferences. I say this because 99.99% of posts appear
to be fine, and 90% of those were probably composed with Outlook straight
outa the box.

-Doug

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Silvan

Dave & Tricia Claghorn wrote:

aluminum table is super light weight. The arbor will. CEDAR! Does it
get much softer than that? The arbor will only accept up to a 3/8" dado

Not that I disagree that the saw in question is a POS, but cedar is one of
the hardest softwoods there is. Harder than several hardwoods.

I guess it depends on if you have left coast "cedar" or right coast "cedar"
too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

J. Clarke

Silvan wrote:

Dave & Tricia Claghorn wrote:

aluminum table is super light weight. The arbor will. CEDAR! Does it
get much softer than that? The arbor will only accept up to a 3/8" dado

Not that I disagree that the saw in question is a POS, but cedar is one of
the hardest softwoods there is. Harder than several hardwoods.

I guess it depends on if you have left coast "cedar" or right coast
"cedar" too.

There's "cedar" and there's "cedar". Go to FPL
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us:8080/tilia/StartRunPublicQuery.do?query=_common_names_22aug20 03_001&type=browser
and plug "cedar" and you'll find over 500 hits, not all of which have
properties recorded in the database. Just looking at a couple, one species
of "eastern white cedar" is about as hard as white pine and about half as
hard as one species of "eastern red cedar".

As far as hardwoods vs softwoods goes, that has little to do with
hardness--balsa is a "hardwood".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)