Jim

Default Table saw - good deal?

I'm considering buying this table saw this week:

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/ic_item....id=131&mq =10
(yeah, its a Craftsman).

Regularly its $420, on their website its on special for $319 but also
currently available through their stores for $259 this week only (CDN
prices - this works out to about $200 US).

I've been holding off buying a table saw for a while now. My budget
for it is pretty low right and I haven't had any luck looking for a
good quality used saw, so I think this may be the best shot in my
range.

Does this look like a decent deal? What can I expect with this saw?
My biggest concern is the fence, and I haven't looked at it in person
yet. What should I be looking for when I go to the store?

Wookworking is just a hobby for me, so it'll be used pretty much only
on weekends.

Thanks,
Jim
Rob

It looks OK. I'm sure it will cut wood. The big question - is it square
and will it stay square?

My guess is no on both counts. At least that has been my experience with
cheap saws.

I personally would save my pennies for a contractor saw from Jet, Delta, or
Grizzly or buy a good used saw.

Rob

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

searcher1

NO DON"T DO IT !!! Trust me you WILL be disapointed. It may feel like a
bargin at first but the Aluminum table and the mitre slots as well as the
fact that it will be difficult to keep the blade square will have you
pulling the hair from your head.
See if your sears has a 22849 left it should be about 399.00 I just got one
and I am amazed! It's cast iron and the motor sounds like a kitten!

searcher1\\

"Rob" wrote in message
It looks OK. I'm sure it will cut wood. The big question - is it square
and will it stay square?

My guess is no on both counts. At least that has been my experience with
cheap saws.

I personally would save my pennies for a contractor saw from Jet, Delta,

or
Grizzly or buy a good used saw.

Rob

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Silvan

searcher1 wrote:

NO DON"T DO IT !!! Trust me you WILL be disapointed. It may feel like a
bargin at first but the Aluminum table and the mitre slots as well as the
fact that it will be difficult to keep the blade square will have you
pulling the hair from your head.
See if your sears has a 22849 left it should be about 399.00 I just got
one and I am amazed! It's cast iron and the motor sounds like a kitten!

I'm still lovin' mine too. The only thing I don't like is the way I keep
ripping my jeans on those stupid rails that stick out only 14" away from my
workbench. It's a tight squeeze jamming that aircraft carrier sized thing
into my shop, but WOW is it a lot more enjoyable to use than my POS Skil
was.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Jim

I don't see the Sears model 22849 online, but I'll look in their store
to check it out. Would I be better off getting a Delta model rather
than a Craftsman? A contractor quality model is out of my budget, but
they have some cheaper models, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/3ettm.

Thanks,
Jim

"Rob" wrote in message
It looks OK. I'm sure it will cut wood. The big question - is it square
and will it stay square?

My guess is no on both counts. At least that has been my experience with
cheap saws.

I personally would save my pennies for a contractor saw from Jet, Delta,

or
Grizzly or buy a good used saw.

Rob

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Pop Rivet

Lots of times Craftsman IS Delta! Sears makes them change a logo or two but
they just source their saws from the other companies willing to be ordered
around for money (not necessarily a bad thing). Delta is one of Sears'
favorite mfgrs.
At our local Sears, I can ask and they'll tell me who the mfg is. Many
won't. Also, Sears does have some Sears-specced equipment, meaning there is
no other name attached to the name, which is OK wiht me, long's they don't
want me to buy something that unique. eg kitchen appliances. If you can
get them to show you a repair or a parts manual you can usually see who the
real mfg is.

If you do a Google on Delta and check out a couple of those mfg sites, n ot
the retailers, you'll discover lots of info abou the crossing of mfg names.
It's interesting who owns who and who can use what names where, etc. You'll
find all the familiar brands; delta, ryobi, porter wagner, etc etc etc..
Have fun!

Pop

om...

"Rob" wrote in message
It looks OK. I'm sure it will cut wood. The big question - is it

square
and will it stay square?

My guess is no on both counts. At least that has been my experience

with
cheap saws.

I personally would save my pennies for a contractor saw from Jet,

Delta,
or
Grizzly or buy a good used saw.

Rob

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Puff Griffis

Let me add that it does not matter whether or not Delta make the Sears =
tool. It will be made to Sears specs therefore you can not compare it to =
any Delta model.
Puff

"Pop Rivet" wrote in message =
[...]

=20
If you do a Google on Delta and check out a couple of those mfg sites, =

n ot
the retailers, you'll discover lots of info abou the crossing of mfg =

names.
It's interesting who owns who and who can use what names where, etc. =

You'll
find all the familiar brands; delta, ryobi, porter wagner, etc etc =

etc..
Have fun!
=20
Pop
=20
=20
om...

"Rob" wrote in message
It looks OK. I'm sure it will cut wood. The big question - is =

it
square
and will it stay square?

My guess is no on both counts. At least that has been my =

experience
with
cheap saws.

I personally would save my pennies for a contractor saw from =

Jet,
Delta,
or
Grizzly or buy a good used saw.

Rob

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering buying this table saw this week:

=

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/ic_item....emID=3D122667=
&cid=3D131&mq=3D10
[...]

searcher1

It's no longer on line ,it was a clearance model, but some stores still have
them in the warehouse, its hit or miss. I just got lucky when the warehouse
here had two left.

Searcher1

om...

"Rob" wrote in message
It looks OK. I'm sure it will cut wood. The big question - is it

square
and will it stay square?

My guess is no on both counts. At least that has been my experience

with
cheap saws.

I personally would save my pennies for a contractor saw from Jet,

Delta,
or
Grizzly or buy a good used saw.

Rob

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dave & Tricia Claghorn

Let me reiterate this post. Don't do it. I did. Save your dinero. They
call it a 3 hp motor. I don't think a real 3-hp motor will bog down when
cutting 3/8" mesquite. And trying to rip some 2-1/2" stock, going INSANELY
SLOOOOOW, I was cranking out so much smoke I waited for the saw dust to
spontaneously combust in an explosion. You can literally push this saw over
trying to rip 1-1/2" cedar because the motor can't handle the load and the
aluminum table is super light weight. The arbor will. CEDAR! Does it get
much softer than that? The arbor will only accept up to a 3/8" dado set...
Shall I keep going? As soom as my tax check gets in, I'm getting a real
saw. Grizz, Delta, or Powermatic. Haven't finalized my decision yet...

"Rob" wrote in message
It looks OK. I'm sure it will cut wood. The big question - is it square
and will it stay square?

My guess is no on both counts. At least that has been my experience with
cheap saws.

I personally would save my pennies for a contractor saw from Jet, Delta,

or
Grizzly or buy a good used saw.

Rob

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering buying this table saw this week:

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/ic_item....667&cid=131&mq
=10
(yeah, its a Craftsman).

Regularly its $420, on their website its on special for $319 but also
currently available through their stores for $259 this week only (CDN
prices - this works out to about $200 US).

I've been holding off buying a table saw for a while now. My budget
for it is pretty low right and I haven't had any luck looking for a
good quality used saw, so I think this may be the best shot in my
range.

Does this look like a decent deal? What can I expect with this saw?
My biggest concern is the fence, and I haven't looked at it in person
yet. What should I be looking for when I go to the store?

Wookworking is just a hobby for me, so it'll be used pretty much only
on weekends.

Thanks,
Jim

Silvan

Dave & Tricia Claghorn wrote:

aluminum table is super light weight. The arbor will. CEDAR! Does it
get much softer than that? The arbor will only accept up to a 3/8" dado

Not that I disagree that the saw in question is a POS, but cedar is one of
the hardest softwoods there is. Harder than several hardwoods.

I guess it depends on if you have left coast "cedar" or right coast "cedar"
too.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

J. Clarke

Silvan wrote:

Dave & Tricia Claghorn wrote:

aluminum table is super light weight. The arbor will. CEDAR! Does it
get much softer than that? The arbor will only accept up to a 3/8" dado

Not that I disagree that the saw in question is a POS, but cedar is one of
the hardest softwoods there is. Harder than several hardwoods.

I guess it depends on if you have left coast "cedar" or right coast
"cedar" too.

There's "cedar" and there's "cedar". Go to FPL
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us:8080/tilia/StartRunPublicQuery.do?query=_common_names_22aug20 03_001&type=browser
and plug "cedar" and you'll find over 500 hits, not all of which have
properties recorded in the database. Just looking at a couple, one species
of "eastern white cedar" is about as hard as white pine and about half as
hard as one species of "eastern red cedar".

As far as hardwoods vs softwoods goes, that has little to do with
hardness--balsa is a "hardwood".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering buying this table saw this week:

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/ic_item....id=131&mq =10
(yeah, its a Craftsman).

Does this look like a decent deal? What can I expect with this saw?

OK for simple birdhouses, but not much else. It is limited in table size
for cross cutting. The miter will be sloppy, the fence will take some care
in adjusting.

Wookworking is just a hobby for me, so it'll be used pretty much only
on weekends.

Right. Hobbies should be enjoyable, not filled with frustration. Save your
money and get belt drive saw with cast iron top.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Mark

Jim,
I know the price makes this saw tempting, but a POS at any price is
still a POS. I'm not just saying this cuz it's Craftsman, but this saw
will disappoint almost anyone, even weekenders. Save up a little longer
and try to pick up something with a decent fence and miter slots. Good
luck, Mark

Jim wrote:
[...]

Bob G.

On 27 Mar 2004 18:14:28 -0800, (Jim) wrote:

I'm considering buying this table saw this week:

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/ic_item....id=131&mq =10
(yeah, its a Craftsman).

I already hade a Cabinet saw and an older Delta Contractors saw in my
home shop BUT I had a use for a tablesaw at my vacation home to use
just for ocassional use.... LIKE a dumb ass I picked one up used for
100 bucks... Cheap and I really did not need a "great saw" ....

Used it maybe 5 or 6 times and NEVER smiled once.... total POS ...
hauled it to the local landfill and dumped it with the rest of the
trash....

Pure frustration ... what can I say...

Bob Griffiths
Dave

I just got the Grizz G0444Z you'll have a hard time beating the price and
quality of this saw.

http://www.sears.ca/cgi-bin/ic_item....122667&cid=131

&mq=10
(yeah, its a Craftsman).

I already hade a Cabinet saw and an older Delta Contractors saw in my
home shop BUT I had a use for a tablesaw at my vacation home to use
just for ocassional use.... LIKE a dumb ass I picked one up used for
100 bucks... Cheap and I really did not need a "great saw" ....

Used it maybe 5 or 6 times and NEVER smiled once.... total POS ...
hauled it to the local landfill and dumped it with the rest of the
trash....

Pure frustration ... what can I say...

Bob Griffiths

Norman D. Crow

"Mapdude" wrote in message
All I had to read was "direct Drive motor" and I said no. You do not
want a direct drive motor, period.

Not to start a *pi**in* contest here, BUT . . . . I have a Crapsman Direct
Drive circa '84(NOT one of the flex cable drives). that works pretty well.
The big drawback to most DD saws is that they are universal motors with
brushes, like your portable circ. saws, routers, etc., and tend to be NOISY!
Mine is an induction type, capacitor start motor that runs very quietly.
Main problem is the thing doesn't have a great surplus of power, which is
somewhat offset by the fact that the direct drive motor limits depth of cut
more than a belt driven arbor would, but I get by until I can move up to a
better saw.

Now, about this particular unit, I'd say it's a universal type motor
from the description; "up to 5,000 RPM no load speeds" and "3.0hp max.
developed horsepower"(dead giveaway, as they rate this on current draw just
before the motor stalls and breakers blow). It also looks like Sears
copy-writers can't get their facts straight; as in 22"w. x 28 1/2"d. x 12
1/2"h. with extension". 24" left and right rip capacity? On a 22"w. table,
or even on a 28 1/2"w. table? Sounds like the "extensions" must slide in &
out themselves, so even if the fence were *somewhat* stable, putting it out
on a movable extension adds another degree of inaccuracy.

To the Original Poster, NONONONONO, don't go near this thing! Find
something in an inductive belt drive cast iron top, preferably with cast
iron extensions, even the "waffled" ones being better than sheet metal, but
sheet metal are better than none. Many of us are hampered by monetary
limitations, but buying the wrong tool too cheap is worse than not having
the tool at all.

My$.25

--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

---

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nor
Sounds like the "extensions" must slide in &
out themselves, so even if the fence were *somewhat* stable, putting it

out
on a movable extension adds another degree of inaccuracy.

To the Original Poster, NONONONONO, don't go near this thing!

Yep. You can wear out a tape measure getting it set up accurately.

Mike G

It's better then a circular saw.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Jim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Jim

Well, I can see there's not a lot of support for this saw.

What type of options are there for a table saw (say $500). Is it
realistic to get something decent for that amount? I would love to
find a good used saw but as I said they don't seem to exist in real
life.

My initial thought was to buy a top quality blade and put that on a
cheaper saw. As long as the saw could spin the blade properly I would
assume I could do something with it. Is the downside to a cheap table
saw the motor? The alignment? Vibrations? The light weight of the
table?

Basically, what do you guys look for in a decent table saw?

Thanks again,
Jim

(Jim) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim" wrote in message
My initial thought was to buy a top quality blade and put that on a
cheaper saw. As long as the saw could spin the blade properly I would
assume I could do something with it. Is the downside to a cheap table
saw the motor? The alignment? Vibrations? The light weight of the
table?

Basically, what do you guys look for in a decent table saw?

The blade helps. For less than $500 you can find a cast iron top and belt
drive. I was meandering the Sears tool department a couple of weeks ago and
they had one about that price that did not look bad at all. Ridgid from Home
Depot is respectable but I think it is closer to $579.

Cast iron tops means less vibration. The belt drive motors are quieter.
Better sqw will have more features, but also more size. The table size on
the first one limits you to a 6" or so cross cut while hte larger ones are
about 11". Sure, there are work arounds, but not as easy as just setting up
and cutting.
Ed.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Jim wrote:
Well, I can see there's not a lot of support for this saw.

What type of options are there for a table saw (say $500). Is it
realistic to get something decent for that amount?

On a restricted budget like that, the Ryobi BT3100, at $300, is *very*
difficult to beat. even if you spend twice the money.

I would love to
find a good used saw but as I said they don't seem to exist in real
life.

They _do _exist. but it take patience to find one. lots of it.

I know. I found one, here on this newsgroup, about a year ago.
It probably helped that I wasn't _really_ looking for one. grin

My initial thought was to buy a top quality blade and put that on a
cheaper saw. As long as the saw could spin the blade properly I would
assume I could do something with it.

"do something", yes. how much time and effort to do what should be a "simple
thing" is a whole 'Nuther aspect.

Spinning the blade "properly" _is_ an issue with the cheap saws. A lot
depends on how critically you define 'properly'.

On a low-quality saw, a top-of-the-line blade is gross overkill.
there are enough other problems with the machine that you won't get
anything remotely resembling what that blade is capable of.

OTOH, virtually -anything- is better than the factory blade. on almost
all saws. A 'medium price' blade _will_ "help" a cheap saw. A top-quality
one won't perform significantly better -- because the *other* limitations
of the saw constrain performance.

Once you've got a reasonable quality blade, the next thing that makes
a _noticeable_ improvement is a good fence. then maybe a good miter gauge.

Then, you "jack up the blade guard", and put a better saw mechanism under
it. grin

Is the downside to a cheap table
saw the motor? The alignment? Vibrations? The light weight of the
table?

"All of the above". Plus the hassles of dealing with a cheapo fence.

Alignment issues come in two varieties: _getting_ it aligned right in
the first place, and *maintaining* the alignment once set. cheap saws
are significantly harder to align, and *don't* hold the alignment for
anywhere near as long as even a 'mid-range' one.

Truly low power motors can be problematic on even seemingly lightweight
chores -- like ripping a 2x4.

Light weight and vibration are aspects of the same fundamental, "stability".
if the saw shakes and/or wobbles, it is much harder to make precise cuts.

If the blade "wanders", relative to the table, due to 'run-out', instability
in the bearings, or mechanical slop in the positioning (height and/or tilt),
it's *impossible* to get precise, clean cuts..

Basically, what do you guys look for in a decent table saw?

"repeatability" and "reliability". then ease of use.

Thanks again,
Jim

.com...