Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For those waiting to pull the trigger on a MultiMaster style tool

I just got an e-mail from HD advertising their new Ridgid "multi" tool.
Looks pretty cool and I would probably be all over it if I did not already
have the Fein tool.

Any way the cordless tool has interchangable heads.

Apparently there is a Multimaster style head, an impact hammer style head,
right angle drill style head, an impact driver style head, and a ratchet
style head.

Advertised with life time warranty on the tool and batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSp25Hcw14k&NR=1

http://toolguyd.com/2010/02/updates-...ti-head-tools/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:24:40 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

I just got an e-mail from HD advertising their new Ridgid "multi" tool.
Looks pretty cool and I would probably be all over it if I did not already
have the Fein tool.

Any way the cordless tool has interchangable heads.

Apparently there is a Multimaster style head, an impact hammer style
head,
right angle drill style head, an impact driver style head, and a ratchet
style head.

Advertised with life time warranty on the tool and batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSp25Hcw14k&NR=1

http://toolguyd.com/2010/02/updates-...ti-head-tools/

The cleverly worded script indicates that the "lifetime service plan"
is an additional option. In other words, an extra cost, extended
warrantee.

Are you making an assumption? From what Ridgid tech support and their Life
time service agreement has stated in the past is that you have to simply
register the product to be enrolled in the lifetime service agreement.
Simply having the receipt is good enough for the normal shorter term
warranty. This is nothing new with the Ridgid tool line. IMHO however the
need for registration is to prove when the tool was purchased. There were
times long ago 5-6 years when the batteries were covered for life during the
Christmas holidays. If you did not buy during that time the warranty was
the typical warrantly. Since however they have reintroduced the life time
warranty on the batteries.

http://www.wnyhandyman.com/rigid-too...time-warranty/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 9:24*am, "Leon" wrote:
I just got an e-mail from HD advertising their new Ridgid "multi" tool.
Looks pretty cool and I would probably be all over it if I did not already
have the Fein tool.

Any way the cordless tool has interchangable heads.

Apparently there is a Multimaster style head, *an impact hammer style head,
right angle drill style head, an impact driver style head, and a ratchet
style head.

Advertised with life time warranty on the tool and batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSp25Hcw14k&NR=1

http://toolguyd.com/2010/02/updates-...max-multi-head...

I find Ridgid tools very uneven. Their drill press is fabulous, their
latest version of the 6" ROS and their trim routers suck. I have zero
confidence in Ridgid products.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I find Ridgid tools very uneven. Their drill press is fabulous, their
latest version of the 6" ROS and their trim routers suck. I have zero
confidence in Ridgid products.

That could be true. I am the first to say that if you are brand loyal you
are not getting the best in every situation. BUT since this particular line
of tools is designed to ease a particulat task that is not well suited by a
more conventional tool the result may be more favorable if you are actually
able to accomplish the task.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2010 9:35 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I find Ridgid tools very uneven. Their drill press is fabulous, their
latest version of the 6" ROS and their trim routers suck. I have zero
confidence in Ridgid products.

I have Ridgid 13" planer for about 7 years that I've been very happy
with (now watch, the next time I fire it up it'll explode").

But most of their hands tools have too much of the China stink about them.

As to the Ridgid warranty ... if the tools dies, you better be able to
prove it was "materials or workmanship", which leaves them a BIG out,
otherwise when the tool dies, the warranty dies with it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 10:44*am, Swingman wrote:
On 2/19/2010 9:35 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I find Ridgid tools very uneven. Their drill press is fabulous, their
latest version of the 6" ROS and their trim routers suck. I have zero
confidence in Ridgid products.

I have Ridgid 13" planer for about 7 years that I've been very happy
with (now watch, the next time I fire it up it'll explode").

But most of their hands tools have too much of the China stink about them..

As to the Ridgid warranty ... if the tools dies, you better be able to
prove it was "materials or workmanship", which leaves them a BIG out,
otherwise when the tool dies, the warranty dies with it.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I much rather deal with the smell of sauerkraut.
*cough*F*cough*e*cough*s*cough*t*cough*o*cough*o*c ough*l*cough*
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 8:24 am, "Leon" wrote:

Apparently there is a Multimaster style head, an impact hammer style head,
right angle drill style head, an impact driver style head, and a ratchet
style head.

Advertised with life time warranty on the tool and batteries.

Since I already have a Chinese multimaster of which I am very fond of
now (thanks HF for a tool worth 3X more than $35), and have the
Ridgid 12v Li mini drill/driver, I won't bite. But that is indeed a
whole bag of tools for $199.

I too have found Ridgid tools to be a bit erratic in their
usefulness. They seem to perform well for me and I haven't had any
complaints on my part, but I know others have. But then again, unless
we get into the upper end tool price range, I would say they do
perform better than some of the DeWalt and PC tools I own.

I think the selling point there would be the bag and the "stuff" you
wag around in it. Sometimes you just need enough tool to get the job
done, no more. With truck space at a premium, it would be nice to
toss that thing in the front seat and be off for a small repair or
quick installation of one kind or another.

I haven't bought heritage style hand tools in a while, and since my
older Makita, Bosch and Milwaukees are still doing OK, I tend to look
at tools and other offerings like this towards their utility value for
the buck, not as a life long investment.

I'd bet you would get $200 of work out of that setup.

As far as the batteries being covered in warranty, you are right
Leon. I discovered (with the help of my buddy that worked there for a
few years) that when Home Depot RELEASES a new tool, the extended
lifetime warranty is part of the promotional period.

According to him, the lifetime warranty covering the batteries was
available for the first 6 - 12 months depending on the tools and the
promotion, then it dropped to 2 - 3 years.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Feb 19, 8:24 am, "Leon" wrote:

Apparently there is a Multimaster style head, an impact hammer style
head,
right angle drill style head, an impact driver style head, and a ratchet
style head.

Advertised with life time warranty on the tool and batteries.

Since I already have a Chinese multimaster of which I am very fond of
now (thanks HF for a tool worth 3X more than $35), and have the
Ridgid 12v Li mini drill/driver, I won't bite. But that is indeed a
whole bag of tools for $199.

Yeah, if you already have the problem solved like I do you don't need it.

I too have found Ridgid tools to be a bit erratic in their
usefulness. They seem to perform well for me and I haven't had any
complaints on my part, but I know others have. But then again, unless
we get into the upper end tool price range, I would say they do
perform better than some of the DeWalt and PC tools I own.

I still don't own any and will say that 6 years ago when I was looking at
them I thought the drill was heavy. But then again I think any thing over
9.6 volt is starting to get heavy. ;~)

I think the selling point there would be the bag and the "stuff" you
wag around in it. Sometimes you just need enough tool to get the job
done, no more. With truck space at a premium, it would be nice to
toss that thing in the front seat and be off for a small repair or
quick installation of one kind or another.

Precicely, and as I mentioned, if you are waiting to pull the trigger you
probably don't need one for heavy or daily use, otherwise you would already
have one. It looks like a lot of vlaue in variety for those type tools that
are problem solvers rather than a daily use tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 12:08*pm, "Leon" wrote:

Precicely, and as I mentioned, if you are waiting to pull the trigger you
probably don't need one for heavy or daily use, otherwise you would already
have one. *It looks like a lot of vlaue in variety for those type tools that
are problem solvers rather than a daily use tool.

Exactly.

I think of those as purpose built tools.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:12:38 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

In my state, you cannot be required to "register" for any warrantee.
All you need is proof of purchase, usually in the form of a sales
receipt.

That is precicely right. If the 3 year warranty is good enoug for you
simply hang on to the receipt. If you want the lifetime service agreement
you will need to simply register. NBD.

Did you read the complaints on that page? Sounds like the warrantee is
pretty much impossible to use anyway. They even told one guy who
registered in 2001, that they only honored registrations made since
2005.

I don't take much stock in warranty complaints unless I know the exact
conditions of the disagreement. As Robert indicated in another part of the
thread, only certain tools purchased during a certain promotional period are
eligible for the life time service agreement. Still the 3 year warranty is
better than most. Some tools sold in 2001 have the life time warranty
others did not. IIRC those tools had to be purchased during the Christmas
promoton.

Sounds overall, that the warrantee should not be considered when
making a purchase decision for Ridgid tools. Buy it as though it has
no warantee.

I think you are confusing warranty with life time service agreement. Just a
3 year warranty with proof of purchase would certainly weigh a lot with me
if a particular Ridgid tool was in the lot to be considered. The particular
Ridgid tool that is elegible for the life time service agreement would be a
bonus.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 10:55*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:44*am, Swingman wrote:

On 2/19/2010 9:35 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I find Ridgid tools very uneven. Their drill press is fabulous, their
latest version of the 6" ROS and their trim routers suck. I have zero
confidence in Ridgid products.

I have Ridgid 13" planer for about 7 years that I've been very happy
with (now watch, the next time I fire it up it'll explode").

But most of their hands tools have too much of the China stink about them.

As to the Ridgid warranty ... if the tools dies, you better be able to
prove it was "materials or workmanship", which leaves them a BIG out,
otherwise when the tool dies, the warranty dies with it.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I much rather deal with the smell of sauerkraut.
*cough*F*cough*e*cough*s*cough*t*cough*o*cough*o*c ough*l*cough*- Hide quoted text -

Our shop is located quite near a large sauerkraut factory and let me
tell you the stink is pretty brutal at times.

JP