Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sandpaper storage

A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

Drawer in the original package. Never saw the need for an exotic "solution"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

I made a "container"...maybe 15" high, 1/4" ply or hardboard shelves every
inch or so. Shelf width is slightly wider than sandpaper, depth is about
1/2" less so paper overhangs a bit. Each shelf has a different grit or
type. The "container" is in a cabinet.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 7:57*am, Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

Currently "piled" in a small cabinet that supports my oscillating
spindle sander. I am planning to build a rack on the will accept
sheets, spindle sleeves and belts. Been planning that rack for a few
years - otta be good when it happens :^}

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 9:44*am, RonB wrote:
On Feb 7, 7:57*am, Keith Nuttle wrote:

A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

Currently "piled" in a small cabinet that supports my oscillating
spindle sander. *I am planning to build a rack on the will accept
sheets, spindle sleeves and belts. *Been planning that rack for a few
years - otta be good when it happens :^}

RonB

or "...on the wall to accept..."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 08:57:54 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

I stack mine on a metal shelf with a thick piece of MDF on top to
minimize curling.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

I use a drawer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 6:57*am, Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Old accordion file.

http://images.manufactum.de/manufact...ld/36979_1.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote:

A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

1) File folders in a cardboard box.

2) Drawer in a filing cabinet.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

For 30 years in the original packaging.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2010 11:48 AM, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Feb 7, 6:57 am, Keith wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Old accordion file.

http://images.manufactum.de/manufact...ld/36979_1.jpg

I like the accordion file idea. Do you then keep it in a drawer or on a
bookshelf?

I wonder if you could someway attach it to a pegboard, so that when you
wanted it it would sort of fall open?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/10 7:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

I found some plastic paper tray drawers at a thrift store and they work
very nicely.
Six trays, 3x3, and they seem to have tabs for stacking another set on
top.

Office supply or thrift stores.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/10 3:05 PM, DanG wrote:
Look up "file caddy" on Google. Lots of choices. I use one a bit
like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001874MMQ/ref=asc_df_B001874MMQ1024175?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ta g=shopzilla_rev_265-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0018 74MMQ

Yep, that's similar to what I have. Works great.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 6:57 am, Keith *wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Old accordion file.

http://images.manufactum.de/manufact...ld/36979_1.jpg

I like the accordion file idea. *Do you then keep it in a drawer or on a
bookshelf?

I wonder if you could someway attach it to a pegboard, so that when you
wanted it it would sort of fall open?

It's on the lower shelf of my workbench.

If I were just a *wee bit* more anal, I'd have it filed by grit.

But ... it'd be pretty easy to attach to pegboard, even if you had to
reinforce the back panel, and add some sort of cleat to secure it
properly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your
workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

I made a "container"...maybe 15" high, 1/4" ply or hardboard
shelves every inch or so. Shelf width is slightly wider than
sandpaper, depth is about 1/2" less so paper overhangs a bit.
Each shelf has a different grit or type. The "container" is in
a cabinet.

I just posted a photo of the one I did long ago. They sound about
the same. It was a great way to use up scraps and got a LOT of
use.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look up "file caddy" on Google. Lots of choices. I use one a bit
like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001874MMQ/ref=asc_df_B001874MMQ1024175?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ta g=shopzilla_rev_265-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0018 74MMQ

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your
workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

Drawer in the original package. Never saw the need for an exotic
"solution"

In a cupboard in the original dispenser cardboard boxes that 50 packs are
sold in.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:hkmgt2$5rl$2
@speranza.aioe.org:

A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

I just put it down and it lays there thanks to gravity. That's how I store
it.

Oh WHERE do I store it? Well, the stuff for the mouse is sharing space in
the router bits drawer, the 5" disk sander paper is in the drawers below
the sander, and the sheets are in a bin next to a half sheet sander.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 7, 5:57*am, Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

top of a mechanic's red steel tool cabinet where the top opens.
Usually in its original packaging.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2010 7:57 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways people answer this
question, and they're always wrong. The answer is simple; a filing cabinet
with hanging file folders, and a separate folder for each grit. Duh. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nonny" writes:
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Sounds a lot like our current president...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle writes:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

A nice hardware store 3M sandpaper rack I picked up
20 years ago at an out of business sale. All metal
and comes with built-in pegboard hangers.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bought a plastic case that would hold 10 - 15 file folders.
Labeled a folder with the grit number. Done. Then added folders as
I needed additional grits.

Also included folder to hold tack cloth both used and unused.

Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

Drawers? bins? lay where ever there is a flat space?

How about all over the blasted shop so I can play "what grit is that?"
and "where are those H&L disks?" whenever I want to sand something?

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
A simple question: How do you store your sandpaper in your workshop.

I've got them all stacked in increasing fineness order on part of a single
shelf in one of my cabinets. Partially used sheets are on top of the
stack. It's worked for years and since most of my finishing prep now
consists of planes and scrapers, the sandpaper doesn't get much use.

Rob Leatham