Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Guidelines for posting FS items

I posted this msg on alt.woodworking group and didn't get a reply how about
here?

What are the guidelines for posting woodworking equipment items for sale?

Thanks, sl

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 24, 7:21*am, "Scott Livingston" wrote:
I posted this msg on alt.woodworking group and didn't get a reply how about
here?

What are the guidelines for posting woodworking equipment items for sale?

Thanks, sl

Occasional FS posts for WW equipment are fine. No business or
production items.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Scott Livingston" wrote:
I posted this msg on alt.woodworking group and didn't get a reply how about
here?

What are the guidelines for posting woodworking equipment items for sale?

No hard-and-fast rules, but guidelines that seem to be generally observed:

- Infrequent posts are well-tolerated. Posting different items for sale every
day, or worse yet, the *same* item every day, will earn you a place in many
killfiles.

- Prefix the subject with "FS" (for sale) or "FA" (for auction).

- Selling your personal equipment, or surplus equipment from your woodworking
business, is well-tolerated. If your business is *making* woodworking
equipment, shilling your products here may not be so well tolerated.

- There is no moderator. The group is self-policing. If you post a for-sale
ad, somebody may call you out for "spamming" -- if several people call *him*
out, telling him he's out of line, you're cool, don't worry about it. If a
bunch of people agree with him, you probably stepped over a line you shouldn't
have stepped over. Apologize, don't do it again, and likely all will be
forgiven. Don't apologize, repeat the behavior, and you'll probably be
killfiled.

- These could all be summed up in one rule: Don't be obnoxious about it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess I came to the right group this time! Thanks for the speedy and
informative replies. I usually lurk because I'm not really a wood worker but
have an interest in what is posted here. I do have a used Schneeberger LK
Glue System I have no plans to use and will post it here for sale when I get
all the info together. Thanks again, sl

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

Put your location in the header, otherwise expect to get flames or at least sarcastic replies asking
WTF the item is located.

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:21:48 -0500, "Scott Livingston" wrote:

I posted this msg on alt.woodworking group and didn't get a reply how about
here?

What are the guidelines for posting woodworking equipment items for sale?

Thanks, sl

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:33:17 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I posted this msg on alt.woodworking group and didn't get a reply how about
here?

Does ANYONE read alt.woodworking?

If you think this group gets too much OT crap, try any alt group.
Egad!

Go ahead and post the occasional FS item. If you get to be a pest,
we'll slap you.

Or sell his email address to the Devil.

---
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
talking about global warming hysteria, January, 2007.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I posted this msg on alt.woodworking group and didn't get a reply how
about
here?

Does ANYONE read alt.woodworking?

If you think this group gets too much OT crap, try any alt group.
Egad!

Go ahead and post the occasional FS item. If you get to be a pest,
we'll slap you.

Or sell his email address to the Devil.

Where's JOAT been, haven't seen a plan posted in a long time? He loved
getting e-mail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:23:26 -0800, "LDosser"
wrote:

Where's JOAT been, haven't seen a plan posted in a long time? He loved
getting e-mail.

Not nearly as much as some of us loved sending it to him. :-)

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
:What are the guidelines for posting woodworking equipment items for sale?

To add to Doug's excellent summary, we've had some small-shop vendors who
make production runs of dedicated equipment (planes; alignment tools; etc.)
make periodic FS posts and descriptions of their wares. What is KEY is
they were ALSO regular contributors on areas of wwing other than selling
their products. For example, a lot of what I know about steel I learned
from Rev. Ron Hock, whose posts here and elsewhere on steel, metals,
and toolmaking have been terrific. He also makes and sells fine plane
blades, and other stuff. So, if the OP wnts to advertise a small business
and its products, make sure to also be aregular community member here and
all will be fine. It's the hit and run types that bug some people (ads
every month, never heard of the guy otherwise).

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

I'll be damned, for once I agree with Andy (BTW, where's my fifty bucks?).
Speaking of welcomed advertisers, what's the deal with Steve Knight? Went to
his site and it looks like he only offers kits now. When did that happen?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

I also follow and contribute to a cruise newsgroup and the subject
of advertising by travel agents comes up on occasion. What Andy
has said is an excellent filter for us all to use when deciding
whether someone is being an opportunist or is legitimately
offering something that is of interest to the others. Many of the
TA's in the cruising newsgroup also alert folk that they're TA's
by using a typical sig line that includes their company
information. Like about anything else, when someone of good
intent uses good judgment in letting others know of their goods or
services, most of us really appreciate being occasionally
reminded.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.