Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Government Inspired Fuel Cans + PIA

Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it
and fuel went into your mower. I recently had to buy a couple of
replacements. The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and
lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? The spout is too short to reach most
mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. The lever is
pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 9:33*am, RonB wrote:
Remember when fuel cans were simple? *Pop the cap off the end, tip it
and fuel went into your mower. *I recently had to buy a couple of
replacements. *The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and
lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? *The spout is too short to reach most
mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. *The lever is
pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.

http://www.toolboxtopics.com/Gen%20I...20Gasoline.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it
and fuel went into your mower. I recently had to buy a couple of
replacements. The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and
lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? The spout is too short to reach most
mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. The lever is
pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.

It's a flame arrester in case you try to pour gasoline on a bonfire. You can
thank Dan Rather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxGDd...layer_embedded

It's for the children.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 11:07*am, Neil Brooks wrote:
On Jan 20, 9:33*am, RonB wrote:

Remember when fuel cans were simple? *Pop the cap off the end, tip it
and fuel went into your mower. *I recently had to buy a couple of
replacements. *The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and
lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? *The spout is too short to reach most
mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. *The lever is
pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.

http://www.toolboxtopics.com/Gen%20I...0a%20Safety%20...

Yeah, I know. But if they had added 2" to the spout or provided the
piece of hose and clamp (that now must be chased down), it would have
worked much better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2010 10:33 AM, RonB wrote:
Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it
and fuel went into your mower. I recently had to buy a couple of
replacements. The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and
lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? The spout is too short to reach most
mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. The lever is
pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.

Ran out of gas, in a parking lot after 10pm one night, had to walk three
miles in the rain along a busy street with no sidewalk to an open gas
station. That's the only type can they had ... three miles back, in the
rain, only to have to perform surgery on the can, in the dark, for
another 30 minutes, with a multi-tool (thank buddha I keep one in the
truck), in the dark, in order to ultimately get about half of the
contents into the truck's gas tank, in the dark ... the rest on the ground.

*******s ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 08:33:53 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it
and fuel went into your mower. I recently had to buy a couple of
replacements. The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and
lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? The spout is too short to reach most
mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. The lever is
pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.

Man, if you think that those suck, try the other version out there
(K-Mart and Lowes sell them) They only have a push lock which is
basically a spout with a little lip or edge about 1/3 of the way down.
The idea is you put the spout into the hole inside of your car's gas
filler tube. The lip catches and then you press down. This releases
the mechanism that allows the fuel to flow. When you let up a little
it springs shut and stops the flow of gasoline. It works pretty poorly
in a car, but just try it in a lawn mower (or much worse on a rocking
boat) where there is no inside lip in the filler tube to catch the lip
on the spout and you can't function them if you attach an extender
hose. I MUCH prefer the ones that you describe with at least a lever
to actuate the valve.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, I know. But if they had added 2" to the spout or provided the
piece of hose and clamp (that now must be chased down), it would have
worked much better.

Gawd you sound like my wife.

-DS
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Further, the damn nozzle goes so far into the tank and blocks so much of the
filler on the lawn mower or pressure washer or snow blower or whatever that
you can't tell how much gas you've put in until it overflows.

One wants to believe that there is a special place in Hell for the sort of
government bureaucrats who come up with this crap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more ****ing
around.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more
****ing around.
Jerry

Isn't it a federal crime to defeat, tamper, or modify a mandated safety
feature?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

I wish the people who developed these standards had to use the
equipment that the standards apply for a month before the standards
become official.

*snip*

A month isn't long enough. A year would be better. A month can easily
pass without the need to put gas in a mower or snow blower.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote

I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more ****ing
around.

Ouch, didn't that hurt?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 7:48*pm, Dudley Hewitt Squat
wrote:
Yeah, I know. *But if they had added 2" to the spout or provided the
piece of hose and clamp (that now must be chased down), it would have
worked much better.

Gawd you sound like my wife.

-DS

Guessing you don't own one of the PIA devices :^}
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 8:38*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote :

I wish the people who developed these standards had to use the
equipment that the standards apply for a month before the standards
become official.

*snip*

A month isn't long enough. *A year would be better. *A month can easily
pass without the need to put gas in a mower or snow blower.

Puckdropper

Put them in the same category of folks who develop the hard plastic
product packaging. Doom them to an afterlife of having to use their
brainchilds on a continuous basis..........forever!

No scissors or knives for the plastic packagers.
No hose or funnels for the gas can geniuses.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 11:33*am, RonB wrote:
Remember when fuel cans were simple? *Pop the cap off the end, tip it

The thing that caught my attention was the subject line "Government
Inspired."

I think it was "inspired" by citizens who were concerned with they
reported accidents involving gas and other flammable materials over
the years.

Private Industry brought us the Pinto Crematoriums that immolated the
occupants in a rear-end crash as the impact froze the doors closed,
broke the gas tank and flooded the passenger area with fuel as a
consequence of several design failures that Ford decided were cheaper
to settle on a case by case basis than to recall the existing cheap
Pintos that were so prone to the particular failure and horrific
consequences.

While we are on the subject, a small gloat. I had an old Gerry Can
with a rusted flex spout and saw the new version at a hardware store
in NC - for $50!

I took the company name off the new can and called the company to ask
if I could buy "just the spout."

Three days later, I had one on my doorstep - no charge!

It pays to ask.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it
and fuel went into your mower. I recently had to buy a couple of
replacements. The ones with the push-lock device, short spout and
lever actuated valve (WalMart specials).

What the hell are they good for? The spout is too short to reach most
mower or auto gas ports, without attaching a hose. The lever is
pretty much inoperable without an attached hose.

Longer spout?

Bitch bitch bitch.

Now I'll go back to building something.

I spill more gasoline out of those damn new cans than any could have ever
evaporated out of the good cans. There was some under the table
negotiations going on with that new development. Have you noticed that
there is only 1 style?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 10:17*am, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:33*am, RonB wrote:

Remember when fuel cans were simple? *Pop the cap off the end, tip it

The thing that caught my attention was the subject line "Government
Inspired."

I think it was "inspired" by citizens who were concerned with they
reported accidents involving gas and other flammable materials over
the years.

There is nothing inspired about the new cans. As sold, they are
unusable without a spout extension (hose and clamp) or a funnel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:33 am, RonB wrote:
[...]

Piffle! While on my monthly foraging expidition in the neighborhood the
evening before "heavy trash pickup," I spotted an olive-drab military jerry
can. Scoop. Got it home and stenciled on the bottom was:

III Army Sep 44

Sigh. My little can may have helped liberate Bastogne.

And the can still works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 11:33 am, RonB wrote:

Remember when fuel cans were simple? Pop the cap off the end, tip it

The thing that caught my attention was the subject line "Government
Inspired."

I think it was "inspired" by citizens who were concerned with they
reported accidents involving gas and other flammable materials over
the years.

There is nothing inspired about the new cans. As sold, they are
unusable without a spout extension (hose and clamp) or a funnel.

There's no way to use the ones I have with either a hose and clamp or a
funnel without manually pulling back their foreskins.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more
****ing around.
Jerry

Isn't it a federal crime to defeat, tamper, or modify a mandated safety
feature?

Nope. It's just illegal to sell it (or give it away), in the modified form

Logic being that you can expose yourself to the risk, but you're not allowed
to epxose somebody else to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more
****ing around.
Jerry

Isn't it a federal crime to defeat, tamper, or modify a mandated
safety feature?

Nope. It's just illegal to sell it (or give it away), in the
modified form

Logic being that you can expose yourself to the risk, but you're not
allowed to epxose somebody else to it.

So.... I can remove the seat belts from my car...?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:03:33 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more
****ing around.
Jerry

Isn't it a federal crime to defeat, tamper, or modify a mandated
safety feature?

Nope. It's just illegal to sell it (or give it away), in the
modified form

Logic being that you can expose yourself to the risk, but you're not
allowed to epxose somebody else to it.

So.... I can remove the seat belts from my car...?

Well, yeah.... However, you can't then drive that car on a public
roadway as it is illegal (most places) to drive without your seatbelt
on. However, you could drive that car with the removed seatbelts all
over your own back 40.

By the same token, should you remove the spill protection device from
your fuel can, you better hope that you don't get caught spilling fuel
into the public waterways or onto the ground.... But the removel
itself is not a criminal behavior as I understand it.

Dave Hall
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Jan 2010 14:38:26 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com scrawled the following:

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

I wish the people who developed these standards had to use the
equipment that the standards apply for a month before the standards
become official.

*snip*

A month isn't long enough. A year would be better. A month can easily
pass without the need to put gas in a mower or snow blower.

They need to have experience putting gas from their device into a HOT
mower, seconds after it ran out of gas. evil grinne

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Robert Bonomi wrote:
In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
Jerry - OHIO wrote:
I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more
****ing around.
Jerry

Isn't it a federal crime to defeat, tamper, or modify a mandated
safety feature?

Nope. It's just illegal to sell it (or give it away), in the
modified form

Logic being that you can expose yourself to the risk, but you're not
allowed to epxose somebody else to it.

So.... I can remove the seat belts from my car...?

Sure, go ahead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:40:40 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote

I hacked the end of mine off and baught a tranny funnel .No more ****ing
around.

Ouch, didn't that hurt?

Ah, wonderful contextual humor there, Lee. Two points.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:17:33 -0800 (PST), the infamous Hoosierpopi
scrawled the following:

On Jan 20, 11:33*am, RonB wrote:
Remember when fuel cans were simple? *Pop the cap off the end, tip it

The thing that caught my attention was the subject line "Government
Inspired."

I think it was "inspired" by citizens who were concerned with they
reported accidents involving gas and other flammable materials over
the years.

Private Industry brought us the Pinto Crematoriums that immolated the
occupants in a rear-end crash as the impact froze the doors closed,
broke the gas tank and flooded the passenger area with fuel as a
consequence of several design failures that Ford decided were cheaper
to settle on a case by case basis than to recall the existing cheap
Pintos that were so prone to the particular failure and horrific
consequences.

I, for one, wouldn't want to have been in a Pinto (or any other small
car) which was rear ended at freeway speeds. I was a Ford technician
at the time and I personally installed the "fix" on many a Pinto,
later owning one (automatic, while recovering from a back injury.)

The fix was a 1/8" thick nylon shield (a whopping 9x16" IIRC) which
went under the gas tank straps.this ensured that two differential
bolts couldn't puncture the tank when the car was in a horrendous
collision directly from the rear. They slid on the nylon instead. You
know, don't you, that in all the hundreds of thousands of Pintos
produced and in accidents, only 27 people died as a result of the gas
tank fires? The NHTSA said the problem wasn't that bad and did not
warrant issuing a recall. Yeah, that it was a financial move was not
a good thing, but that happens on a daily basis around the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto

While we are on the subject, a small gloat. I had an old Gerry Can
with a rusted flex spout and saw the new version at a hardware store
in NC - for $50!

I took the company name off the new can and called the company to ask
if I could buy "just the spout."

Three days later, I had one on my doorstep - no charge!

It pays to ask.

I broke my Load Handler and called in for replacement parts. They
didn't hesitate and got the new parts to me, free of charge, later
that same week. I mentioned that the one broke because the other
didn't have a stabilizer, so they sent a stablized version. note the
bumper clip on the lower left in the pic (see link), missing from the
right side. It was tension in that area which rolled the thing up and
broke the plastic fork at the top of the tailgate. With the new clip
on both sides, it'll unload the heaviest bedful of gravel or compost
with ease in under a minute. I barely work up a sweat with this
thing. I love it! The week after I spent $70 on mine, they went on
sale at BiMart for $40. sigh
http://www.loadhandler.com/images/lh2000art.gif
http://www.loadhandler.com/lh2000.php How they work. (great, IMHO)
Standard disclaimer applies.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.
--Abraham Lincoln
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:

On Jan 21, 10:17Â*am, Hoosierpopi wrote:
On Jan 20, 11:33Â*am, RonB wrote:

Remember when fuel cans were simple? Â*Pop the cap off the end, tip it

The thing that caught my attention was the subject line "Government
Inspired."

I think it was "inspired" by citizens who were concerned with they
reported accidents involving gas and other flammable materials over
the years.

There is nothing inspired about the new cans. As sold, they are
unusable without a spout extension (hose and clamp) or a funnel.

i.e., through the thoughtfulness and concern of these do-gooders, people are
being forced to make modifications and kludges that will result in more
spilled gasoline with a higher likelihood of catastrophic consequences.

Heaven save us from concerned citizens and the politicians who listen to
them!

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Better everything. What clown designed the Mercury Sable such that the
steering wheel and dash had to be pulled just to change the light bulbs for
the instruments?

And several versions of 70's Chevrolet that required a hole in the
fender well or loosened motor mount to change a couple of spark plugs
or heater blower.

For that matter, the new Saturn Sky sports car requires a fender panel
removal to replace the stock battery.

We learn, don't we.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message

Better everything. What clown designed the Mercury Sable such that the
steering wheel and dash had to be pulled just to change the light bulbs
for
the instruments?

And several versions of 70's Chevrolet that required a hole in the
fender well or loosened motor mount to change a couple of spark plugs
or heater blower.

For that matter, the new Saturn Sky sports car requires a fender panel
removal to replace the stock battery.

Sheeesh! Can you at least get jumper cables on it?

We learn, don't we.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:20:02 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

They need to have experience putting gas from their device into a HOT
mower, seconds after it ran out of gas. evil grinne

They solve that with a sticker that says to let the mower cool before
refuling. If you notice *every* piece of gas-powered equipment has
that warning any more.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Tim Douglass wrote:

They solve that with a sticker that says to let the mower cool before
refuling. If you notice *every* piece of gas-powered equipment has
that warning any more.

I can't recall when they didn't have that -- certainly the 60s-vintage
Deere 112 tractor has it...so I don't think it has anything whatever to
do w/ the new cans.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

LDosser wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

Better everything. What clown designed the Mercury Sable such that the
steering wheel and dash had to be pulled just to change the light
bulbs for
the instruments?

And several versions of 70's Chevrolet that required a hole in the
fender well or loosened motor mount to change a couple of spark plugs
or heater blower.

For that matter, the new Saturn Sky sports car requires a fender panel
removal to replace the stock battery.

Sheeesh! Can you at least get jumper cables on it?

virtually any necent vehicle has access points for charging/jumping that
are _not_ the battery terminals.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
LDosser wrote:
"RonB" wrote in message

Better everything. What clown designed the Mercury Sable such that the
steering wheel and dash had to be pulled just to change the light bulbs
for
the instruments?

And several versions of 70's Chevrolet that required a hole in the
fender well or loosened motor mount to change a couple of spark plugs
or heater blower.

For that matter, the new Saturn Sky sports car requires a fender panel
removal to replace the stock battery.

Sheeesh! Can you at least get jumper cables on it?

virtually any necent vehicle has access points for charging/jumping that
are _not_ the battery terminals.

--

As the n is a fair piece from the d and r, which one did you mean?