Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for Tom Watson about his chessboard

Tom,

In the final photo of your example

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...77468176239730

Is that zebra wood you use for the frame. If not can you tell me what you
did use. In the past I have use zebra wood but it ain't cheap.

If it is OK with you, I may copy your design for a PTA fundraiser donation.

I love the raised board look - very cool.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry C" wrote in message
Tom,

In the final photo of your example

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...77468176239730

Is that zebra wood you use for the frame. If not can you tell me what you
did use. In the past I have use zebra wood but it ain't cheap.

I would call that Walnut.

Zebra is typically not that dark and the grain is greatly darker than the
rest of the wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Russ Stanton" wrote in message
I see from your post that you have worked with Zebrawood. I will be working
with it on my next project. Do you have any tips or cautions before I
start. From the feel of it I might have tear out problems when planing it.

TIA

Russ
"Larry C" wrote in message
Tom,

In the final photo of your example

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...77468176239730

Is that zebra wood you use for the frame. If not can you tell me what
you did use. In the past I have use zebra wood but it ain't cheap.

If it is OK with you, I may copy your design for a PTA fundraiser
donation.

I love the raised board look - very cool.

Larry C

Russ

I am a little nervous giving advice. I am almost always one of the "askers"
in this news group. There are many here WAY more skilled and knowledgeable
then me. So with that out of the way.

Some of my experience with Zebra wood is it doesn't really tear out when
planing but the face feels like the end grain on other wood. It sanded out
just fine afterwards.

But with other pieces of Zebra wood it has milled just fine and was smooth
to the touch after planing.

I have used it a few times for some checkerboards I have made to there was
no "issue" that some sandpaper couldn't solve.

I am sure someone else can better explain its properties than me.

How is that for a non-answer answer with a disclaimer beforehand.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...uction#5411877...