Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chessboard Construction

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...dConstruction#

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...dConstruction#

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

That's a fine looking chessboard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...dConstruction#

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/..

Very cool Tom! I may have to try that out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...dConstruction#

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/..

Very cool Tom! I may have to try that out.

My uncle is an accomplished cabinet builder. He once showed me his first
chessboard. He laughed at himself over it He tongue and groove cut each
and every square then bound them in a frame that formed a box lid. The
frame was also tongue and grooved to mate the outer edge of the pieces. I
thought it was pretty cool, but when he asked me if I wanted to make one we
just cut strips and glued them like you did. Then he told the methods he
used for his original was a a total waste of time. With modern wood glues
and a decent frame there was absolutely no reason to go to all that effort
other than perhaps as a personal challenge. We then went on and made
backgammon boards. Now that was a fun exercise in jig making.

Anyway, I very much like your series of images on making chess boards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I made my first, and only, chess board when I was a teen. Not knowing
any better (self taught) and no plans or knowledge of this sort of
construction to guide me, I made and glued individual squares
together, then framed them. I'd never do that today, of course, but
it turned out pretty good considering my "talent" (?). I still have
it.... the chess board! The talent may still be in question.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
I made my first, and only, chess board when I was a teen. Not knowing
any better (self taught) and no plans or knowledge of this sort of
construction to guide me, I made and glued individual squares
together, then framed them. I'd never do that today, of course, but
it turned out pretty good considering my "talent" (?). I still have
it.... the chess board! The talent may still be in question.

Sonny

I'm not sure I have the talent for a chess board. I'm thinking of starting
with a checkers board first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tjwatson...dConstruction#

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Tom:

Looks great! Did you bevel the edge of the board prior to inserting it
in the frame?

What woods did you use?

Any concerns about movement using solid wood? If not, why would anyone
go through the bother of veneering a chessboard if they weren't using
exotics?

~Mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:13:27 -0500, the infamous "Ed Pawlowski"
scrawled the following:

"Sonny" wrote in message
I made my first, and only, chess board when I was a teen. Not knowing
any better (self taught) and no plans or knowledge of this sort of
construction to guide me, I made and glued individual squares
together, then framed them. I'd never do that today, of course, but
it turned out pretty good considering my "talent" (?). I still have
it.... the chess board! The talent may still be in question.

I'm not sure I have the talent for a chess board. I'm thinking of starting
with a checkers board first.

groan

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,