Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cherry table top - hard enough?

I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. The finish will
be Duravar. Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable
denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry?
Thank you.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 12:49 PM, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. The finish will
be Duravar. Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable
denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry?
Thank you.

JP

Not familiar with Duravar so I don't know how that would affect the equation,
but I doubt it. Cherry is pretty soft.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

In ,
Mark Whittingham dropped this bit of wisdom:
I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. The finish will
be Duravar. Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable
denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry?
Thank you.

JP

I cannot say for the others, but,

I have a solid cherry table that my grandfather made almost, if not more than, 100 years ago.

All it has is a standard, for then, finish on it and it is definitely hard enough to write upon.

P D Q

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm

Nice site, thanks. No listing for mesquite though.

-Zz

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 2:47 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm

Nice site, thanks. No listing for mesquite though.

-Zz

It's in there, but it's listed in the table, not the pie chart. Mesquite is 2345.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 3:04 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 1/9/2010 2:47 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
http://tinytimbers.com/janka.htm

Nice site, thanks. No listing for mesquite though.

-Zz

It's in there, but it's listed in the table, not the pie chart. Mesquite
is 2345.

Woops; brain check. That is *not* a "pie" chart... :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Woops; brain check. That is *not* a "pie" chart... :-)

Good catch, I was gonna' gripe you out.

-Zz

Posted to rec.woodworking

Consider the ball point pen. It is very small and the force you exert
is high - PSI is high. No wood can stand up to it. Many metals can't.

Use a tablet under the single sheet or a glass sheet covering the top.
The glass should be tempered and safety. A glass company should help.

In the 60's we had good friends that had a glass table top for a dinning room.

The table was great until a hot pot was put on a cloth pad - shattered it.
The table top was replaced with a 1" sandstone top that was sealed and was
beautiful. The mother had a deep gash on her leg.

Martin

Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. The finish will
be Duravar. Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable
denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry?
Thank you.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 1:49*pm, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. *The finish will
be Duravar. *Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable
denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry?
Thank you.

JP

I have finished cherry in ways that would withstand writing on it. 3
**** coats of Autocryl clear and two or three full strength. Pricey
but effective without that epoxy/plastic look. Hard enough for most
normal use, including writing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 9, 1:49*pm, Mark Whittingham wrote:
I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. *The finish will
be Duravar. *Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable
denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry?
Thank you.

JP

I have two cherry table tops I made from wood from the farm I grew up
on. One is over 18 years old -- we have written on it over the years
and no marks. I guess you could make marks if you pushed hard enough
with a ball point pen,

l8r
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 10:49:05 -0800 (PST), Mark Whittingham
wrote:

I'm planning on a cherry top for a table I'm making. The finish will
be Duravar. Will this be hard enough to write on without noticeable
denting, or should I use maple and dye/stain it to look like cherry?
Thank you.

JP

I don't know of any practical wood finish that can withstand a
ball-point pen. If it is a writing table you are building consider a
leather covering for writing.

repairing cherry table [email protected] Woodworking 9 January 2nd 10 11:16 PM
cherry table and uv polyeurathane [email protected] Woodworking 2 May 10th 06 01:32 PM
Cherry Table stoutman Woodworking 22 April 15th 06 05:10 AM
Cherry coffee/cocktail table. Robatoy Woodworking 2 January 28th 06 07:09 PM
Building a table using Cherry Keith Woodworking 5 December 4th 05 03:12 PM