Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Places to get hardwood in Hampton Rds VA

I have been searching off and on for a while trying to find a "good"
supplier of hardwood lumber for projects; have any of you folks found
reasonably priced supplier in the VA Pennisula area? I did find one guy
who sold me some 4/4 and 5/4 cherry (roughsawn but moisture @ 6%) for
$6.70/bf. The lumber was practically clear and pretty straight but in
my searches (granted, the material is aways off) I have found it for
less, or a wash, including freight. The down side, as I see it, is that
I either drive at least a couple of hours to pick wood out or I end up
with whatever is sent to me (oh bother!). What kind of mail-order
experience have y'all had?

Thanks Much!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2010 10:30 AM, Robert Sorenson wrote:

I have been searching off and on for a while trying to find a "good"
supplier of hardwood lumber for projects; have any of you folks found
reasonably priced supplier in the VA Pennisula area? I did find one guy
who sold me some 4/4 and 5/4 cherry (roughsawn but moisture @ 6%) for
$6.70/bf. The lumber was practically clear and pretty straight but in my
searches (granted, the material is aways off) I have found it for less,
or a wash, including freight. The down side, as I see it, is that I
either drive at least a couple of hours to pick wood out or I end up
with whatever is sent to me (oh bother!). What kind of mail-order
experience have y'all had?

No mail order experience, but when I was last in that area I recall
getting some good pointers from folks doing boat restorations in a
couple of marinas - and I'd guess that you could get some worthwhile
suggestions up at Colonial Williamsburg (friendly folks who really knew
their stuff!)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Removing a Hampton Bay ceiling fan Shaggy Home Repair 8 March 30th 21 08:14 PM
Hampton Bay Motion Lights CJ Home Repair 6 February 10th 09 03:36 PM
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Model ?? Dino Home Repair 4 October 27th 06 09:19 PM
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan pk Home Repair 1 January 12th 06 09:27 PM
Recommendations for places to buy hardwood online jtpr Woodworking 32 September 7th 04 10:57 PM