Irish89

Default HELP! Problems with changing blade on surface planer

I have a 12" Delta Surface Planer (No. 22-540). I am having major
problems loosing the screws (actually the nuts) which hold the blade in
place on one side.

I had no problems loosening the nuts on one side, flipping the blade
over and tightening everything back down. When I started on the second
blade, two of the nuts wouldn't budge. Unfortunately, while attempting
to loosen them, the nuts rounded over and now nothing will loosen them.
My most recent attempt was to soak it in WD-40 for a little bit, then to
go crazy on it with a small visegrip. Still no luck.

As you may know it's nearly impossible to get a good angle on these nuts
because they are down in the channel where the blade is located.

Has anyone else ever encountered this problem, or have a flash of
brilliance which will bail me out?

Thanks.

Paul Kane

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"Irish89" wrote in message
bal.net...
[...]

You may have to use a small punch or nail set to lightly tap loose the nut
in the right direction, then replace them if damaged too much....a couple of
short sharp light taps should get it started to undo.

Jon~

John Crea

I don't have any hands on with that planner, but could you possibly
get a NUT SPLITTER in there to 'crack' the frozen nut and then get it
off?? Of course you would have to replace the nuts

John

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:35:18 -0500, "P©WÉ®T©©LMAN
²ºº4" wrote:

"Irish89" wrote in message
obal.net...
[...]

Mike at American Sycamore

"P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4" wrote in message ...
"Irish89" wrote in message
bal.net...
[...]

UGHThis is a real pain in the butt.....The bums at the factory with
their powerful air wrench and then let the unit set for a while and
the nuts and head fuse together. I suggest that you call your local
Delta service center and ask them for help. They most likely deal
with this alot. I would remove the old ones and replace them with new
ones. Sorry that you are having problems. Good luck....
Mike from American Sycamore
www.americansycamoreretreat.com

mike

Irish89 wrote in message obal.net...
I have a 12" Delta Surface Planer (No. 22-540). I am having major
problems loosing the screws (actually the nuts) which hold the blade in
place on one side.

Paul if you can heat the nuts with either a heat gun or electric
soldering iron then while still hot turn them off. The nuts will
expand slightly. You probably will have to heat the nuts long enough
for a drop of water to steam off it.

mike