Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wondering if my compressor is sufficient to shoot lacquer with anHVLP gun

I picked up a 4 year old Campbell Hausfield 60 gal compressor today for
$325 thinking I could use an HVLP gun to spray lacquer with it. It's 3
hp 220 volt 15 amp. After poking around the net I'm not sure its
possible. Sticker says 11.8 SCFM at 40 PSI and 10.3 @ 90 PSI. Max
pressure 135 PSI. Anyone know if there's an HVLP gun that will shoot
lacquer with a compressor like this..? If so any HVLP gun
recommendations..? Thanks

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
I picked up a 4 year old Campbell Hausfield 60 gal compressor today for
$325 thinking I could use an HVLP gun to spray lacquer with it. It's 3 hp
220 volt 15 amp. After poking around the net I'm not sure its possible.
Sticker says 11.8 SCFM at 40 PSI and 10.3 @ 90 PSI. Max pressure 135 PSI.
Anyone know if there's an HVLP gun that will shoot lacquer with a
compressor like this..? If so any HVLP gun recommendations..? Thanks

-Jim

It'll blow your HVLP gun Jim. You're only going to be delivering between
15-25psi to your gun (I deliver 13 to mine), so you'll be fine. The thing
to remember with compressors is that even small compressors will shoot guns,
they'll just cycle more frequently. If you tried to use something like a
DA, which really sucks up the air supply, you might find yourself on the
edge, but even though HVLP wants some delivery capacity, you should be ok.

If you were trying to do a big job like an overall on a car, you'd probably
find yourself wanting more compressor, but for typical woodworking sprays, I
don't believe you'd find yourself lacking. Even large woodworking projects
are small compared to the spraying process for autos.

As for guns, I shoot a Devilbiss FLG. You can pay a lot more for a gun, but
I just don't think you get enough more to justify the cost. The FLG3 can be
purchased all over the web today in various kit forms, for ~$120-$150. I
turn out paint jobs on cars, some of which had come from shops as renowned
as Chip Foose, with an FLG3. Generally, without having to buff the finish
out - send it out straight out of the gun. Unless of course... those nasty
dust nibs... or the "occasional" oops (runs, sags...). So - for
woodworking, and any painting needs most of us here are likely to encounter,
a gun like this is all one would need. For most woodworking needs, Harbor
Freight sells some pretty good HVLP compressor type guns at cheap prices.
They're perfectly fine guns for the purpose at hand. I bought a small
gravity feed HVLP for my son to use for woodworking at HF, and I think I
only paid $30 or so for it. Works just fine, and he only has a very small
tank style compressor. Really meant for nail guns. But then, most small
project painting is not all that much more of a load than a nail gun on a
roof.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 7, 9:57*am, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
"Jim Hall" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

I went to a pot-fed systems many years ago and found that it made my
spraying a whole lot simpler. I would turn the atomizing air off and
set the pot pressure at a few pounds. Then I would regulate the fluid
supply needle at the gun so that it would squirt pure fluid in a nice
arc (about 3-foot radius) to gravity into a bucket... just a small
amount, just enough to see what was coming out. Then I would add the
atomizing air to blow apart that stream of fluid and set the fan
shape. Simple. repeatable regardless of fluid viscosity variations
(within reason of course). The price on small pot-fed units is very
low these days and will work with any gun. (I have a gun which once
was a gravity fed unit. Now the hose from the pot-feed goes into the
top and all works well.
I find I also spray rather well when pot-fed. :-} (Not for a few
decades now as I can't handle all the Doritos.)
All done in a minute.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wow! Very helpful.. Thank you..! Chip Foose.. Overhaulin..?!! I love
that show. That guy has amazing creativity.. as do most everyone else
on that show. I like to check out the cars on his website every once in
awhile.. The cars are just awesome.. -Jim

On 1/7/2010 6:57 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
"Jim wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you.. I think I'll try without pots first though and see if that
works.. I just want to be able to spray some future woodworking projects
mostly. Nothing big.. I got spoiled using an HVLP gun in a couple
cabinet making classes. Hard to go back to the old style after that.. -Jim

On 1/6/2010 8:57 PM, Roemax wrote:
use a pressure pot
most any hvlp ,gun will work that way

"Jim wrote in message
. ..
I picked up a 4 year old Campbell Hausfield 60 gal compressor today for
$325 thinking I could use an HVLP gun to spray lacquer with it. It's 3 hp
220 volt 15 amp. After poking around the net I'm not sure its possible.
Sticker says 11.8 SCFM at 40 PSI and 10.3 @ 90 PSI. Max pressure 135 PSI.
Anyone know if there's an HVLP gun that will shoot lacquer with a
compressor like this..? If so any HVLP gun recommendations..? Thanks

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

You may find a pot fed system funny,however, I have been spraying for over
40 years and tried it all
air assisted pot fed HVLP is the simplest and best way to go on the cheap

I have a 5 stage turbine accu-spray unit and still use that with a pressure
pot.
one can produce an amazing finish that way

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
"pot-fed" Funny..! Yea me either, but I still crack and break open a
small bag of cheese flavored Doritos from time to time..

On 1/7/2010 7:23 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 7, 9:57 am, "Mike wrote:
"Jim wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry didn't mean to offend you. I thought Robatoy was talking about
something else.. I appreciate your advise.. I'll look into paint pots.
Was just thinking that if I'm only spraying say pint to quart of
lacquer on a project and even less sanding sealer with
months between projects, paint pots might end up being more maintenance
and cleaning than just a gravity fed spray gun. If they allow you to
get a better paint job, I'm interested in that of course.. -Jim

On 1/7/2010 2:51 PM, Roemax wrote:
You may find a pot fed system funny,however, I have been spraying for over
40 years and tried it all
air assisted pot fed HVLP is the simplest and best way to go on the cheap

I have a 5 stage turbine accu-spray unit and still use that with a pressure
pot.
one can produce an amazing finish that way

"Jim wrote in message
. ..
"pot-fed" Funny..! Yea me either, but I still crack and break open a
small bag of cheese flavored Doritos from time to time..

On 1/7/2010 7:23 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 7, 9:57 am, "Mike wrote:
"Jim wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:57:58 -0500, the infamous "Mike Marlow"
scrawled the following:

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
[...]

People always think that a big spray job requires a big compressor,
but in reality, it only requires a lot of air. Storage can make up
for compressor size, so plumb in some old air tanks or propane tanks
for the capacity and nearly no cost. It's only if you require lots
air a lot of the time, such as for a sandblaster, that you really need
to purchase a large and expensive compressor.

If you were trying to do a big job like an overall on a car, you'd probably
find yourself wanting more compressor, but for typical woodworking sprays, I
don't believe you'd find yourself lacking. Even large woodworking projects
are small compared to the spraying process for autos.

As for guns, I shoot a Devilbiss FLG. You can pay a lot more for a gun, but
I just don't think you get enough more to justify the cost. The FLG3 can be
purchased all over the web today in various kit forms, for ~$120-$150. I

That's not too bad. I, too, bought one of the cheapie HVLPs from HF.
If I ever move from hand-rubbed to sprayed finishes, I'll likely have
to buy a real gun. I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

[...]

This is true. I've done both (but the only thing I've sprayed is
acrylic enamel at the very thick edge of the gun's capacity with
warmed paint and 20% Floetrol. Quite the nightmare.)

--
We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession
with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution