Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Wondering if my compressor is sufficient to shoot lacquer with anHVLP gun

On Jan 7, 6:48*pm, Jim Hall wrote:
Sorry didn't mean to offend you. *I thought Robatoy was talking about
something else.. *I appreciate your advise.. *I'll look into paint pots.
* Was just thinking that if I'm only spraying say pint to quart of
lacquer on a project and even less sanding sealer with
months between projects, paint pots might end up being more maintenance
and cleaning than just a gravity fed spray gun. *If they allow you to
get a better paint job, I'm interested in that of course.. -Jim

On 1/7/2010 2:51 PM, Roemax wrote:

You may find a pot fed system funny,however, I have been spraying for over
40 years and tried it all
air assisted pot fed HVLP is the simplest and best way to go on the cheap

I *have a 5 stage turbine accu-spray unit and still use that with a pressure
pot.
one can produce an amazing finish that way

"Jim *wrote in message
"pot-fed" *Funny..! *Yea me either, but I still crack and break open a
small bag of cheese flavored Doritos from time to time..

On 1/7/2010 7:23 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 7, 9:57 am, "Mike * wrote:
"Jim * wrote in message

. net...

I picked up a 4 year old Campbell Hausfield 60 gal compressor today for
$325 thinking I could use an HVLP gun to spray lacquer with it. *It's 3
hp
220 volt 15 amp. *After poking around the net I'm not sure its
possible.
Sticker says 11.8 SCFM at 40 PSI and 10.3 @ 90 PSI. *Max pressure 135
PSI.
Anyone know if there's an HVLP gun that will shoot lacquer with a
compressor like this..? If so any HVLP gun recommendations..? *Thanks

-Jim

It'll blow your HVLP gun Jim. *You're only going to be delivering
between
15-25psi to your gun (I deliver 13 to mine), so you'll be fine. *The
thing
to remember with compressors is that even small compressors will shoot
guns,
they'll just cycle more frequently. *If you tried to use something like
DA, which really sucks up the air supply, you might find yourself on the
edge, but even though HVLP wants some delivery capacity, you should be
ok.

If you were trying to do a big job like an overall on a car, you'd
probably
find yourself wanting more compressor, but for typical woodworking
sprays, I
don't believe you'd find yourself lacking. *Even large woodworking
projects
are small compared to the spraying process for autos.

As for guns, I shoot a Devilbiss FLG. *You can pay a lot more for a gun,
but
I just don't think you get enough more to justify the cost. *The FLG3
can be
purchased all over the web today in various kit forms, for ~$120-$150.