Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Solar Lux NGR dyes

I need a new bottle of Behlen's Solar Lux NGR dye. Color is "Light
Golden Oak". I can't seem to locate it on the web. Does anybody
know where to buy some?

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 5:07*pm, " wrote:
I need a new bottle of Behlen's Solar Lux NGR dye. *Color is "Light
Golden Oak". * I can't seem to locate it on the web. *Does anybody
know where to buy some?

Len

I am NOT positive , but I think that the light oak color has been
phased out.

Fruitwood seems to be the go-to "give it a little color" dye of choice
these days.

Oak color is still listed at woodfinishing supplies on the net as part
# " Oak Golden B503-670 ".

You can probably match your desired color by a bit of thinning of that
color before applying, and minding the amount you apply.

Also, Woodcraft used to sell a lot of the Solar-Lux brand of dyes. I
would call them and if necessary have them call around to see who
might have a bottle or two on the shelf.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Is woodfinishing supplies still alive? I loved those guys. Their
website was a bit wierd, kind of a bunch of PDFs but the store was
great. I used to vacation in Mendocino just so I could visit. I think
there was some controversy when they closed about who owned what ro
bough the name or something.

On Jan 4, 3:39*pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 4, 5:07*pm, " wrote:

I need a new bottle of Behlen's Solar Lux NGR dye. *Color is "Light
Golden Oak". * I can't seem to locate it on the web. *Does anybody
know where to buy some?

Len

I am NOT positive , but I think that the light oak color has been
phased out.

Fruitwood seems to be the go-to "give it a little color" dye of choice
these days.

Oak color is still listed at woodfinishing supplies on the net as part
# *" Oak Golden B503-670 ".

You can probably match your desired color by a bit of thinning of that
color before applying, and minding the amount you apply.

Also, Woodcraft used to sell a lot of the Solar-Lux brand of dyes. *I
would call them and if necessary have them call around to see who
might have a bottle or two on the shelf.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 6:06 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Is woodfinishing supplies still alive? I loved those guys. Their
website was a bit wierd, kind of a bunch of PDFs but the store was
great. I used to vacation in Mendocino just so I could visit. I think
there was some controversy when they closed about who owned what ro
bough the name or something.

Good memory. It is, but not as we used to know it. About 10 (?)
years ago I got an email from Russ Ramirez, the guy that started it,
saying he was thinking of quitting. Shortly after that, he retooled,
then decided to quit anyway.

He was a professional finisher/refinisher that loved what he did,
found some great products and wanted to make a few bucks other than
when sanding and finishing.

But he found there were too many "experts" to deal with on the
internet, some had even read part of a book, or read a whole magazine
article (!!) and looked at a picture to learn finishing. He got tired
of putting out fires in the hobby finishing community, and sadly, a
lot of the problem was his fault.

He gave folks WAAAAAYYYYY too much credit for experience in finishing,
too much credit that they would listen to someone that had been doing
it professionally for 20 years when they offered advice for free, and
he was just plain too nice. He would try to explain how something he
said was taken out of context, or how he was misquoted. And he did
that on several different venues, trying to defend his reputation and
product against the internet loudmouths that like to bludgeon people
with their opinion. It was just too much. Russ never did understand
why folks responded poorly to someone that was experienced and
knowledgeable that was trying to help out.

He tried to be too helpful. He was my go-to guy for shellac flakes
after O'deen decided to go play with his grandkids, so we emailed or
spoke often. My opinion was that he owed his clients a good product
delivered at a fair price in a timely fashion.

Russ was thinking he was "building his clientele" by working with
folks when they called in after messing up their projects. He spent
hours teaching and talking to argumentative idiots, casting his pearls
before swine. This was about the time that the graduates of Google U
began to crawl out from under the rocks, so people asked and argued
about the most incredibly unimportant minutiae you can imagine just to
try to impress him. What a way to waste your days.

He sold it all for what he told me was much too little to cut his
losses, and sadly stopped all contact with those that like him and
respected him. Sad. He tried to hang onto (I think, not sure) the
shellac business, but in the end I think he gave that up, too. He was
exhausted physically and mentally.

I hadn't thought about Russ in so long that when I went to the addy
book, it didn't even ring a bell.

What a great guy he was.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 5:49*pm, Nova wrote:
wrote:
I need a new bottle of Behlen's Solar Lux NGR dye. *Color is "Light
Golden Oak". * I can't seem to locate it on the web. *Does anybody
know where to buy some?

Len

All I could find is:

http://grizzly.com/products/Solar-Lu...ain-Light-Gold...

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

That is a water borne dye, not an NGR. It will probably work and is
less expensive, but I suspect it will dry slower?

Len
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 4, 9:55*pm, " wrote:

That is a water borne dye, not an NGR. *It will probably work and is
less expensive, but I suspect it will dry slower?

I will dry slower, the wood will take the color differently, it will
react with the top coat finish differently if you are using a solvent
based material, and it will raise the grain causing you to sand down
the swollen grain only to dye it again winding up with an unknown
color.

Outside of that, you should be fine.

This is a wonderful opportunity to remind you to try the dye/finish
combo on a piece of scrap first, not your project.

Robert

Wood dyes Tom Dougall Woodturning 9 May 9th 10 01:38 AM
Dyes and glue-up John Woodworking 4 April 29th 08 02:03 PM
Wood dyes NoSpam UK diy 6 January 30th 08 03:56 PM
Where to buy stains and dyes? Norm Dresner Woodworking 9 April 4th 06 08:41 PM