Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood dyes

I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 20:43, NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave

If you don't get an answer here try the appropriate section of this
website

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that
are more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye
several times?

One old technique was to dye the wood - then finish with several coats
of varnish with some dye added. Top coat of varnish without any added dye.

Suggest some experimentation before deciding.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On 29 Jan, 20:43, NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave

If you don't get an answer here try the appropriate section of this
website

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/

Rob

Wow - I didn't know about that. Even more of my life is about to be
spent webbing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 21:13, NoSpam wrote:
robgraham wrote:
On 29 Jan, 20:43, NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave

If you don't get an answer here try the appropriate section of this
website

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/

Rob

Wow - I didn't know about that. Even more of my life is about to be
spent webbing.

Glad to help. One thing you will have to do is to experiment as every
wood and every batch of a wood type will respond slightly differently
to the dye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that
are more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye
several times?

One old technique was to dye the wood - then finish with several coats
of varnish with some dye added. Top coat of varnish without any added dye.

Suggest some experimentation before deciding.

The old Dylon cotton dyes work ok on wood, but it's getting hard to find
them these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rod wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that
are more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye
several times?

One old technique was to dye the wood - then finish with several coats
of varnish with some dye added. Top coat of varnish without any added
dye.

Suggest some experimentation before deciding.

The old Dylon cotton dyes work ok on wood, but it's getting hard to find
them these days.

I just spoke to a very helpful guy at "wood finishes direct" and, as a
result, ordered some solvent-based dyes from them.