DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood dyes (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/231911-wood-dyes.html)

NoSpam January 29th 08 08:43 PM

Wood dyes

I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave

robgraham January 29th 08 08:48 PM

Wood dyes

On 29 Jan, 20:43, NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave

If you don't get an answer here try the appropriate section of this
website

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/

Rob

Rod January 29th 08 08:52 PM

Wood dyes

NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that
are more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye
several times?

One old technique was to dye the wood - then finish with several coats
of varnish with some dye added. Top coat of varnish without any added dye.

Suggest some experimentation before deciding.

--
Rod

NoSpam January 29th 08 09:13 PM

Wood dyes

robgraham wrote:
On 29 Jan, 20:43, NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave

If you don't get an answer here try the appropriate section of this
website

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/

Rob

Wow - I didn't know about that. Even more of my life is about to be
spent webbing.

robgraham January 29th 08 09:18 PM

Wood dyes

On 29 Jan, 21:13, NoSpam wrote:
robgraham wrote:
On 29 Jan, 20:43, NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are
more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several
times?

Dave

If you don't get an answer here try the appropriate section of this
website

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/

Rob

Wow - I didn't know about that. Even more of my life is about to be
spent webbing.

Glad to help. One thing you will have to do is to experiment as every
wood and every batch of a wood type will respond slightly differently
to the dye.

Stuart Noble January 30th 08 01:47 PM

Wood dyes

Rod wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that
are more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye
several times?

One old technique was to dye the wood - then finish with several coats
of varnish with some dye added. Top coat of varnish without any added dye.

Suggest some experimentation before deciding.

The old Dylon cotton dyes work ok on wood, but it's getting hard to find
them these days.

NoSpam January 30th 08 03:56 PM

Wood dyes

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rod wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that
are more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye
several times?

One old technique was to dye the wood - then finish with several coats
of varnish with some dye added. Top coat of varnish without any added
dye.

Suggest some experimentation before deciding.

The old Dylon cotton dyes work ok on wood, but it's getting hard to find
them these days.

I just spoke to a very helpful guy at "wood finishes direct" and, as a
result, ordered some solvent-based dyes from them.