Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip

Default Source for alcohol base dyes

I was fascinated by some of the things that Phil Irons did at KC using
powdered dyes that were said to be alcohol ("spirit" in British!)
soluble. All of the dyes that I have seen in catalogs-mostly aniline
dye-are stated to be water soluble. Chemically, I'd expect them to
dissolve in alcohol also. Are there other alcohol based dyes available
and where? I tried RIT fabric dye and it did not work

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Kip said:

I was fascinated by some of the things that Phil Irons did at KC using
powdered dyes that were said to be alcohol ("spirit" in British!)
soluble. All of the dyes that I have seen in catalogs-mostly aniline
dye-are stated to be water soluble. Chemically, I'd expect them to
dissolve in alcohol also. Are there other alcohol based dyes available
and where? I tried RIT fabric dye and it did not work

Hello Kip,

I have used TransFast alcohol dyes, available he

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...OD&ProdID=1208

Fast Solvent Evaporation makes application by hand difficult, at best.
I have used commercial retardants and turpentine to offset this, but
IMHO, alcohol based dyes are best sprayed unless working on a piece
small enough so as not to be a problem. They also fade from UV/sun
exposure, far more so than pigmented stains.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
billh

I dissolved some Lee Valley water-soluble bright accent aniline dyes in
alcohol. Worked but didn't dissolve as well as with water. IIRC, I thought
LV had made an error and put blue dye in the Forrest green package. When i
dissolved it in water it was green alright.
billh

"Kip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was fascinated by some of the things that Phil Irons did at KC using
powdered dyes that were said to be alcohol ("spirit" in British!)
soluble. All of the dyes that I have seen in catalogs-mostly aniline
dye-are stated to be water soluble. Chemically, I'd expect them to
dissolve in alcohol also. Are there other alcohol based dyes available
and where? I tried RIT fabric dye and it did not work

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip

Thanks to all three of you for the information
Kip

Lathe Bench Base Configurations Question charlie b Woodturning 4 February 9th 06 02:21 PM
Centering router on table base Oleg Lego Woodworking 49 January 15th 06 03:36 AM
Source of lamp base fittings Andrew Gabriel UK diy 2 December 30th 05 01:28 PM
Shower base repair Kevin Webb UK diy 0 January 19th 04 03:09 AM
Need Plunge Base for 1617EVS Doug Miller Woodworking 0 September 16th 03 01:49 AM