DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Source for alcohol base dyes (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/144885-source-alcohol-base-dyes.html)

Kip February 15th 06 03:33 PM

Source for alcohol base dyes

I was fascinated by some of the things that Phil Irons did at KC using
powdered dyes that were said to be alcohol ("spirit" in British!)
soluble. All of the dyes that I have seen in catalogs-mostly aniline
dye-are stated to be water soluble. Chemically, I'd expect them to
dissolve in alcohol also. Are there other alcohol based dyes available
and where? I tried RIT fabric dye and it did not work

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Greg G. February 15th 06 03:54 PM

Kip said:

I was fascinated by some of the things that Phil Irons did at KC using
powdered dyes that were said to be alcohol ("spirit" in British!)
soluble. All of the dyes that I have seen in catalogs-mostly aniline
dye-are stated to be water soluble. Chemically, I'd expect them to
dissolve in alcohol also. Are there other alcohol based dyes available
and where? I tried RIT fabric dye and it did not work

Hello Kip,

I have used TransFast alcohol dyes, available he

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...OD&ProdID=1208

Fast Solvent Evaporation makes application by hand difficult, at best.
I have used commercial retardants and turpentine to offset this, but
IMHO, alcohol based dyes are best sprayed unless working on a piece
small enough so as not to be a problem. They also fade from UV/sun
exposure, far more so than pigmented stains.

FWIW,

Greg G.

billh February 15th 06 09:06 PM

Source for alcohol base dyes

I dissolved some Lee Valley water-soluble bright accent aniline dyes in
alcohol. Worked but didn't dissolve as well as with water. IIRC, I thought
LV had made an error and put blue dye in the Forrest green package. When i
dissolved it in water it was green alright.
billh

oups.com...

Kip February 16th 06 04:02 PM

Source for alcohol base dyes

Thanks to all three of you for the information
Kip