Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DAP 33 or Acrylic glazing compound?

I'm preparing to set some glass pane into wooden frames. The glass panes are
10x12, and the frame is for a fixed basement windows. I have on my shelf a
bucket of DAP '33 Window Glazing Compound, and a tube of Ace Window Glazing
which is some sort of acrylic compound. My question is, which is better, or
does it matter? The only difference I know of is that the DAP takes a few
weeks to dry before you can paint it, where the Ace acrylic stuff can be
painted the next day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Zootal" wrote:
I'm preparing to set some glass pane into wooden frames. The glass panes are
10x12, and the frame is for a fixed basement windows. I have on my shelf a
bucket of DAP '33 Window Glazing Compound, and a tube of Ace Window Glazing
which is some sort of acrylic compound. My question is, which is better, or
does it matter? The only difference I know of is that the DAP takes a few
weeks to dry before you can paint it, where the Ace acrylic stuff can be
painted the next day.

Post over at alt.home.repair, too, for a possibly greater diversity of
opinions. For what it's worth, *my* opinion is that *any* brand of window
glazing compound is better than DAP. The best I've ever used is S&T (carried
only at *some* Tru-Value Hardware stores, AFAIK), but Ace is pretty good too.
Either one is way ahead of DAP.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 4:50*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Zootal" wrote:

I'm preparing to set some glass pane into wood ... have on my shelf a
bucket of DAP '33 Window Glazing Compound, and a tube of Ace Window Glazing
which is some sort of acrylic compound.

opinions. For what it's worth, *my* opinion is that *any* brand of window
glazing compound is better than DAP.

The original compound for setting windows was putty. DAP 33 is a BIG
improvement on putty, both in working properties and in shelf life,
and I've always liked working with it. It's a good substitute for
traditional putty in addition to holding glass well.

I thought the tube-type glazing compounds were not used in the same
way as
putty, though; do you actually work them into a bevel in contact with
the
came?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , whit3rd wrote:
On Dec 26, 4:50=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Zootal" use=

wrote:

I'm preparing to set some glass pane into wood ... have on my shelf a
bucket of DAP '33 Window Glazing Compound, and a tube of Ace Window Glaz=

ing
which is some sort of acrylic compound.

opinions. For what it's worth, *my* opinion is that *any* brand of window
glazing compound is better than DAP.

The original compound for setting windows was putty. DAP 33 is a BIG
improvement on putty, both in working properties and in shelf life,
and I've always liked working with it. It's a good substitute for
traditional putty in addition to holding glass well.

I thought the tube-type glazing compounds were not used in the same
way as
putty, though; do you actually work them into a bevel in contact with
the
came?

Don't know, never used the stuff in a tube. I always used the stuff that comes
in a pint plastic tub (not tube). Ace or S&T, but not DAP. Used that DAP CRAP
on one pane -- never again.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
in a pint plastic tub (not tube). Ace or S&T, but not DAP. ...

Last time I looked (admittedly some few years ago) the Ace-branded was
packaged for them by...you guessed it--DAP

Clear Acrylic Glazing Arthur 51 UK diy 6 August 5th 08 08:33 AM
Glazing compound vs. silicone Robert Barr Home Repair 3 October 8th 06 03:48 AM
Glazing Compound Don Phillipson Home Repair 0 July 5th 06 05:29 PM
Glazing Compound Don Phillipson Home Ownership 0 July 5th 06 05:29 PM
Best glazing compound? Daniel Prince Home Repair 2 September 22nd 04 04:43 AM