Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default On the level

It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring more than
1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just the other day
without one, which I ended up doing twice. So, tonight I went searching
online for a level. I assume that levels with magnets stick to the studs in
walls (is that correct?). Any other uses for a "magnetic level"? I'm
focusing now on the 24" size. Stanley makes several, basic version from
about $16 up to a FatMax Extreme version which is supposed to be 5x as
strong and accurate to .0005"/inch. for about $35. I would anticipate also
using the level to install machinery (TS, BS, DP) and a homemade workbench
on a concrete floor with several cracks (hench not level). I know that the
workbench and vise should be level! I expect that a Starrett combination
square that I expect to have by then will be helpful too in this regard--at
least I should be able to see to it that the top of the bench and the top of
the vise are coplanar. So based on the installations I have suggested
above, what else do you think I need to know about selecting a level?
Reliability is important, of course. I read somewhere that those with
"caps" on the ends (which may include the ones I mentioned) have the
potential to be less reliable.

Thank you,
Bill