Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default On the level

"Bill" wrote in message

It appears that installing just about anything on a wall requiring more
than 1 screw or nail calls for a level. I did a project just the other
day without one, which I ended up doing twice. So, tonight I went
searching online for a level. I assume that levels with magnets stick to
the studs in walls (is that correct?). Any other uses for a "magnetic
level"? I'm focusing now on the 24" size. Stanley makes several, basic
version from about $16 up to a FatMax Extreme version which is supposed
to be 5x as strong and accurate to .0005"/inch. for about $35. I would
anticipate also using the level to install machinery (TS, BS, DP) and a
homemade workbench on a concrete floor with several cracks (hench not
level). I know that the workbench and vise should be level! I expect
that a Starrett combination square that I expect to have by then will be
helpful too in this regard--at least I should be able to see to it that
the top of the bench and the top of the vise are coplanar. So based on
the installations I have suggested above, what else do you think I need
to know about selecting a level? Reliability is important, of course. I
read somewhere that those with "caps" on the ends (which may include the
ones I mentioned) have the potential to be less reliable.

Thank you,
Bill

Look at this one (9" Digital Level w/Laser)!

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...7&cookietest=1

Here's another that shows degrees:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0&ddkey=Search