Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Construction Project

In the process of organizing photos for a new company web site.

Since it was a relatively unusual "non traditional" construction
project, and traditional projects are a dime a dozen, I wanted to
eventually highlight the recent "Straw Bale Wall" construction project
on the new site (and perhaps drum up some "non traditional" business in
the process).

The current plan is that the photos will be "pulled" from Picasa, which
will hold the photo content, by the site software. Right now I've only
got two "Picasa web albums" holding construction content:
"SB-Foundation" and "SB-Framing", more to come for the other usual
stages of construction.

Only those albums with the prefix "SB-" refer to the subject
construction project. Captioning rewrites and positioning, photo
additions and deletions, will be an ongoing progress until I get a
handle on all the photo content.

ITMT, and since it involves lots of "wood", thought I'd post the
preliminary Picasa links here in this thread if anyone is interested in
following along:

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet

More stages and thread updated links to follow, feedback welcome ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent set of construction details.
As a former instructor of firefighters I could have used those pictures
several years ago. {:-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:19:45 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

[...]

You do good work, Karl. I like that you glue and nail the subfloor to
prevent squeaks.

I also like the pea gravel under the house. You ought to see the
unflat, rocky crap under mine. They built it in '67 and never put in
a vapor barrier. Some day, I will, but I'm still bruised from the
last venture under there...

What's "TJI bracing"? Is it the little diagonals going from the
bottom of the engineered roofing trusses to the top? Whuffo dem?
Googling, it looks as if it might be iLevel Trus Joists.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

You do good work, Karl. I like that you glue and nail the subfloor to
prevent squeaks.

Thanks, Larry ... I firmly believe that "attention to detail is the
difference between mediocrity and supremacy" and endeavor mightly to
build that way. It would be a damned sight easier if all subs had the
same philosophy, but you do what you can do.

The more the supervision, the better the house ... and I don't
supervise out of a Lexus while wearing designer sunglasses and blue
blazers like most of my builder brethren in this locale.

I also like the pea gravel under the house. You ought to see the
unflat, rocky crap under mine. They built it in '67 and never put in
a vapor barrier. Some day, I will, but I'm still bruised from the
last venture under there...

I like to put a "mud slab", with French drains, under the pier and beam
houses I build if soil conditions allow, but this one didn't allow.

What's "TJI bracing"? Is it the little diagonals going from the
bottom of the engineered roofing trusses to the top? Whuffo dem?
Googling, it looks as if it might be iLevel Trus Joists.

IME, TJI's, particularly those over 12' in length and 12" high, have a
tendency to rack, or twist. Blocking and bracing the "chord" of the
truss on each end mitigates that tendency, making for a more solid
structure ... most folks either don't know that, don't bother, or don't
GAS. See first above.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

What's "TJI bracing"? Is it the little diagonals going from the
bottom of the engineered roofing trusses to the top? Whuffo dem?
Googling, it looks as if it might be iLevel Trus Joists.

IME, TJI's, particularly those over 12' in length and 12" high, have a
tendency to rack, or twist. Blocking and bracing the "chord" of the
truss on each end mitigates that tendency, making for a more solid
structure ... most folks either don't know that, don't bother, or don't
GAS. See first above.

Damn me ... where the hell did I get "chord" from? Got bass brain, meant
"web" instead of "chord". Just to keep us anal honest.

.... and you are correctomundo, they are indeed iLevel joists.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

What's "TJI bracing"? Is it the little diagonals going from
the
bottom of the engineered roofing trusses to the top? Whuffo
dem?
Googling, it looks as if it might be iLevel Trus Joists.

IME, TJI's, particularly those over 12' in length and 12" high,
have a tendency to rack, or twist. Blocking and bracing the
"chord" of the truss on each end mitigates that tendency, making
for a more solid structure ... most folks either don't know
that, don't bother, or don't GAS. See first above.

I'm going on memory, but recall two kinds of bracing for TJI's.
The first is the typical X bracing you use on all joists to
prevent them from twisting and to pass a load onto adjoining
joists. The second is unique to the TJI and is merely blocking to
reinforce the web where there is a known vertical load. For
instance, when a TJI passes over a wall, such as a basement wall,
any deflection at that point would put a vertical load on the thin
web. The solution is to simply install blocking between the upper
and lower member to shore up the web at that point.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:44:11 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

You do good work, Karl. I like that you glue and nail the subfloor to
prevent squeaks.

Thanks, Larry ... I firmly believe that "attention to detail is the
difference between mediocrity and supremacy" and endeavor mightly to
build that way. It would be a damned sight easier if all subs had the
same philosophy, but you do what you can do.

I've yet to hire a sub, as I keep hearing horror stories.

The more the supervision, the better the house ... and I don't
supervise out of a Lexus while wearing designer sunglasses and blue
blazers like most of my builder brethren in this locale.

Ah, so you're under one of those headdresses I saw in the pics, are
you?

I also like the pea gravel under the house. You ought to see the
unflat, rocky crap under mine. They built it in '67 and never put in
a vapor barrier. Some day, I will, but I'm still bruised from the
last venture under there...

I like to put a "mud slab", with French drains, under the pier and beam
houses I build if soil conditions allow, but this one didn't allow.

Putting the whole monolithic mutha up in the air was enough, eh?

What's "TJI bracing"? Is it the little diagonals going from the
bottom of the engineered roofing trusses to the top? Whuffo dem?
Googling, it looks as if it might be iLevel Trus Joists.

IME, TJI's, particularly those over 12' in length and 12" high, have a
tendency to rack, or twist. Blocking and bracing the "chord" of the
truss on each end mitigates that tendency, making for a more solid
structure ...

Just the ends, or midway, too?

most folks either don't know that, don't bother, or don't
GAS. See first above.

Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:39:51 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Swingman wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

What's "TJI bracing"? Is it the little diagonals going from the
bottom of the engineered roofing trusses to the top? Whuffo dem?
Googling, it looks as if it might be iLevel Trus Joists.

IME, TJI's, particularly those over 12' in length and 12" high, have a
tendency to rack, or twist. Blocking and bracing the "chord" of the
truss on each end mitigates that tendency, making for a more solid
structure ... most folks either don't know that, don't bother, or don't
GAS. See first above.

Damn me ... where the hell did I get "chord" from? Got bass brain, meant
"web" instead of "chord". Just to keep us anal honest.

I wondered what you meant the first time but it was at a subconscious
level. Now I fail to see any web bracing. Oh, OK, I see it in 17 and
the diagonals are hiding it in pic 18, but only at the ends, eh?

... and you are correctomundo, they are indeed iLevel joists.

OK.

--
Don't forget the 7 P's:
Proper Prior Planning Prevents ****-Poor Performance
Posted to rec.woodworking

Picture 8 under SB Framing, looks like the guy is eyeing the area where I
found a hole in the floor. ;~)

Looks different now!

Are you going to post pictures of your "big deck"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice work, I enjoyed looling.

But, did you miss the "Three Little Pigs" bedtime story?

;-)

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

A construction project for Thompson Tom Del Rosso[_3_] Electronic Schematics 4 September 27th 08 11:29 AM
Nice Metal and Concrete Construction Project [email protected] Metalworking 18 March 23rd 08 02:46 AM
Earth Home Construction Project HockeyFan Home Ownership 0 July 17th 07 06:17 PM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 9 January 5th 05 02:52 PM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 3 December 3rd 04 11:52 PM