Posted to rec.woodworking

Default european hinges - 36 inch french door

I've got a couple of 36 inch by 6 foot french doors I want to uses for
building a wall unit. I've been thinking of mounting the door with
european hinges. Blum makes hinges for thick doors (upto 32 mm) so
that parts not going to be a problem. I am worried about the weigth /
width of the door... even with 5 hinges. Has anyone tried this? any
advice?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 07:42:30 -0800 (PST), JB
wrote:

I've got a couple of 36 inch by 6 foot french doors I want to uses for
building a wall unit. I've been thinking of mounting the door with
european hinges. Blum makes hinges for thick doors (upto 32 mm) so
that parts not going to be a problem. I am worried about the weigth /
width of the door... even with 5 hinges. Has anyone tried this? any
advice?

The manufacturer will have a weight rating for the hinges.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

JB wrote:
I've got a couple of 36 inch by 6 foot french doors I want to uses for
building a wall unit. I've been thinking of mounting the door with
european hinges. Blum makes hinges for thick doors (upto 32 mm) so
that parts not going to be a problem. I am worried about the weigth /
width of the door... even with 5 hinges. Has anyone tried this? any
advice?

What Tom said ...

Also, have made a few raised panel pantry doors between five and six
feet x 32", including one in my own kitchen which has been rock solid
for over 7 years, and three Blum compacts have been quite sufficient for
those.

IOW, and based on that, I would think that five Euro hinges of the type
you mention would be more than sufficient for the purpose, if that helps
any.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

JB wrote:
I've got a couple of 36 inch by 6 foot french doors I want to uses for
building a wall unit. I've been thinking of mounting the door with
european hinges. Blum makes hinges for thick doors (upto 32 mm) so
that parts not going to be a problem. I am worried about the weigth /
width of the door... even with 5 hinges. Has anyone tried this? any
advice?

I made a concealed 32" + wide closet door in a vertically oriented
tongue and grove covered wall using 3 or 4 of these hinges. It was a
hollow wooden door covered with 3/4" T+G oak. Floor to ceiling, quite
heavy. The door looked like it was part of the wall. It was held shut
with a push latch. The gap between the door and walls was so small you
could not tell there was an opening in the wall until you pushed on
the door and it sprang open.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41265

The closet door and two similar cabinet doors been working without a
problem for well over twenty years. The gap has not changed so those
hinges must not have worn or sagged much over time.

They are in my ex-wife's house. If there was a problem with them I
would here about it.

LdB