Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop Solution For Home Gyms

I used to build gym equipment and still do a little consulting, etc. I have
been working with a couple people trying to install too much equipment into
too small of a space. Sound familiar?

So I went to the old shop solution and started to install casters on the
side or bottom of some pieces. That way they can be wheeled into position to
be used and wheeled out of the way when done.

Most of the time I make an angled block so the caster is just a fraction of
an inch off the floor. Then just lift one end and wheel it away. If needed I
could install a handle of some kind on the other end. Many modern benches
for home gym have this feature already. I just put it on some equipment in
this guys garage.

Anyway, I did one unit tonight and the guy I was working with got so excited
he bought all the tools and supplies so he could do it himself. That is OK,
I have other things to do. I thought it was interesting that I have not seen
this shop solution done that often for home gyms.

Now I am looking around and envisioning other things I can install casters
on. Hmmmmm....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
I used to build gym equipment and still do a little consulting, etc. I have
been working with a couple people trying to install too much equipment into
too small of a space. Sound familiar?

Now I am looking around and envisioning other things I can install casters
on. Hmmmmm....

I thought this was going to be a thread on the adaptive use of gym equipment
by woodworkers...

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhD3...eature=related

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

I thought this was going to be a thread on the adaptive use of gym
equipment by woodworkers...

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhD3...eature=related

That is hilarious! I am saving this to my humor file.

I have seen at least 30 homemade sawmills in my time. I grew up around them
and have worked with a few of them. They were constructed out of whatever
was lying around. But I have NEVER seen one made from some old (new/) gym
equipment.

It is widely known that much gym equipment never gets used. But rather than
collecting dust, this guy figured out a unique and innovative use for it.
Besides, wrestling around logs and making lumber is good exercise.

Thanks for the heads up on this one John. I will be smiling all morning.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote
I thought this was going to be a thread on the adaptive use of gym
equipment by woodworkers...

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhD3...eature=related

That is hilarious! I am saving this to my humor file.

It just goes to show that where there's a will there's a way!
Thanks for the post.

Bill

I have seen at least 30 homemade sawmills in my time. I grew up around them
and have worked with a few of them. They were constructed out of whatever
was lying around. But I have NEVER seen one made from some old (new/) gym
equipment.

It is widely known that much gym equipment never gets used. But rather than
collecting dust, this guy figured out a unique and innovative use for it.
Besides, wrestling around logs and making lumber is good exercise.

Thanks for the heads up on this one John. I will be smiling all morning.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

I thought this was going to be a thread on the adaptive use of gym
equipment by woodworkers...

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhD3...eature=related

That is hilarious! I am saving this to my humor file.

I have seen at least 30 homemade sawmills in my time. I grew up around
them and have worked with a few of them. They were constructed out of
whatever was lying around. But I have NEVER seen one made from some old
(new/) gym equipment.

It is widely known that much gym equipment never gets used. But rather
than collecting dust, this guy figured out a unique and innovative use for
it. Besides, wrestling around logs and making lumber is good exercise.

Thanks for the heads up on this one John. I will be smiling all morning.

You are welcome... It gave me a good chuckle so I figured others would enjoy
it...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 8:55*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" *wrote

I thought this was going to be a thread on the adaptive use of gym
equipment by woodworkers...

Like this: *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQhD3...eature=related

That is hilarious! *I am saving this to my humor file.

I have seen at least 30 homemade sawmills in my time. I grew up around them
and have worked with a few of them. They were constructed out of whatever
was lying around. But I have NEVER seen one made from some old (new/) gym
equipment.

It is widely known that much gym equipment never gets used. But rather than
collecting dust, this guy figured out a unique and innovative use for it.
Besides, wrestling around logs and making lumber is good exercise.

Thanks for the heads up on this one John. I will be smiling all morning.

Old and unwanted gym equipment is a great source for
materials...metal, wire, motors and drum roll please...wood.

Some of the high end treadmills have some very nice many layered
plywood with a perfect finish and to my surprise, panels made of woods
like solid teak. The cheap treadmills of course have the cheap stuff.

TMT