Posted to rec.woodworking

Default drill press recommendations?

About 20 years or so ago, I got a cheap $99 drill press from an auto
parts store. 20 speeds, floor model, 13" swing, MT2. I've gotten my
money out of it, and it's long been on the "replace soon, if not next"
list. My current project would benefit from a drill press with a
larger swing, so now is the time to seriously consider what I'm going
to do about this item.

Problems with the old drill press:

* swing too small

* chuck falls out (yes, I know all the tricks, it still happens)

* some vertical play in the table

* lots of quill runout

* threads on, well, everything are worn - handles won't stay put, set
screws stripped, etc.

What I use a drill press for, or would like to:

* drilling (duh) from 1/32" to 3" drill bits

* hollow chisel mortising

* sanding and carving drums

* milling (can't now, chuck always falls out)

So, I'm looking for a bigger swing, less runout, and a drawbar.
Getting two out of three is easy, getting all three is harder. I also
don't want to spend a lot of money *just* to get yet another drill
press that's marginally bigger than what I have.

At the high end of my "drool list" is the Grizzly G9959 but I'm not
even sure I could get that into my basement shop, much less justify
the cost :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Nov 2009 20:23:01 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

About 20 years or so ago, I got a cheap $99 drill press from an auto
parts store. 20 speeds, floor model, 13" swing, MT2. I've gotten my
money out of it, and it's long been on the "replace soon, if not next"
list. My current project would benefit from a drill press with a
larger swing, so now is the time to seriously consider what I'm going
to do about this item.

I'm looking for a real drill press also (have a little HF toy).

Problems with the old drill press:

* swing too small

* chuck falls out (yes, I know all the tricks, it still happens)

* some vertical play in the table

* lots of quill runout

* threads on, well, everything are worn - handles won't stay put, set
screws stripped, etc.

What I use a drill press for, or would like to:

* drilling (duh) from 1/32" to 3" drill bits

* hollow chisel mortising

* sanding and carving drums

Not sure this is a good idea for a drill press. Most don't like
lateral pressure. I'm told, anyway, that it's hard on the bearings.

* milling (can't now, chuck always falls out)

See above.

So, I'm looking for a bigger swing, less runout, and a drawbar.
Getting two out of three is easy, getting all three is harder. I also
don't want to spend a lot of money *just* to get yet another drill
press that's marginally bigger than what I have.

Sounds like what you have isn't all that good. It shouldn't be hard
to go a lot better. ;-)

One thing not on your list is chuck travel. I'd think that 4" would
be minimum, with more being a big selling point.

At the high end of my "drool list" is the Grizzly G9959 but I'm not
even sure I could get that into my basement shop, much less justify
the cost :-)

G9959? I'm looking at a Powermatic 2800, but have to make a place to
put it{*]. Maybe next summer.
[*] I'll have to be a comfortable place since I may have to sleep with
it. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw writes:

* sanding and carving drums

Not sure this is a good idea for a drill press. Most don't like
lateral pressure. I'm told, anyway, that it's hard on the bearings.

* milling (can't now, chuck always falls out)

See above.

Right, this is why the chuck keeps falling out. But, it's what I want
to do with it. The alternative is to buy separate machines for those
functions, but I'd rather not.

Sounds like what you have isn't all that good. It shouldn't be hard
to go a lot better. ;-)

Well, *yeah*. I got my money's worth out of the old one, I just don't
want to buy something new and kick myself later for compromising too
much.

One thing not on your list is chuck travel. I'd think that 4" would
be minimum, with more being a big selling point.

Mine is only 3" so I don't think I could do much worse anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

No Morse taper drill press spindle will work for milling unless it
has a physical hold of the spindle in addition to the taper. No
one that I know of sells a drill press that the manufacturer says
will mill.

More money, but more tool:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...2da727ef84a59f

The Harbor Freight one sounds so good, I might get one.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

DJ Delorie wrote:
So, I'm looking for a bigger swing, less runout, and a drawbar.
Getting two out of three is easy, getting all three is harder. I also
don't want to spend a lot of money *just* to get yet another drill
press that's marginally bigger than what I have.

At the high end of my "drool list" is the Grizzly G9959 but I'm not
even sure I could get that into my basement shop, much less justify
the cost :-)

My drool list doesn't go quite THAT high (where would I put a 1600 pound
monster?) and I'd be willing to settle for "just" a Delta 20-950:

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-20-950-2...9202552&sr=1-8

That one's been on my drool list for quite some time. Someday...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DanG wrote:
No Morse taper drill press spindle will work for milling unless it
has a physical hold of the spindle in addition to the taper. No
one that I know of sells a drill press that the manufacturer says
will mill.

Why is that exactly? I don't know jack about milling, and I'm not really
looking to learn (like I need any more slippery-slope hobbies!) but I'm curious
nonetheless.

--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner writes:
Why is that exactly?

The oscillating sideways pressure on the morse taper wiggles the taper
out, and the chuck falls out. If you're lucky, it doesn't damage the
wood or the operator on its way to the floor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:

Not sure this is a good idea for a drill press. Most don't like
lateral pressure. I'm told, anyway, that it's hard on the bearings.

I use sanding drums on my DP but with a light touch. I finally got it
through my head than whomping down on any kind of power sander is
unnecessary and even undesirable. It's better to let the machine do the
work and in the case of power-sanding the idea is lateral movement of the
sanding material rather than brute-force pressure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

What is the budget for this project?

In the under $500 family, take a look at the Delta 17-950L.

It's the only one I found with a 6" quill stroke, which IMHO, is
almost non negotiable requirement.

1/2 HP, 16 speed, 6" quill stroke, laser dodads.

The only downside is that it's Delta.

You may find www.toolseeker.com handy for doing your research.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take a look at Grizzly. They have several that cover a wide range of
prices and uses. Our son in law has one of their mid-range radial
presses and it is a very nice machine. One of their machines has done
well in some recent reviews (might be FWW, not sure). Griz is having
some good sales now...you might pick up a good price or a no-shipping
deal.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=380000

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 7:23*pm, DJ Delorie wrote:
[...]

This didn't show up here first time so excuse of it repeats...

Might try Grizzly. They have a broad range of models and prices. Our
son in law has one of their radial machines and it is very nice. One
of the magazines gave one of them a pretty good review recently.
Also, they are running some pretty good sales and shipping deals now.
Don't know if it includes drill pressses but worth a look

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=380000
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Wed 25 Nov 2009 07:23:01p, DJ Delorie wrote in
:
What I use a drill press for, or would like to:

* drilling (duh) from 1/32" to 3" drill bits

* hollow chisel mortising

* sanding and carving drums

* milling (can't now, chuck always falls out)

I don't know how it would be for milling, but I'm really happy with the
Steel City I bought from Woodcraft when they had their introductory
sale.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...on=2&category=
4&tool=20520

With a 6 inch stroke and the spindle lock, I've done some pretty
complicated drilling patterns with it.

But it's got a standard #2MT taper on it so I don't know how it would be
for your needs. I found out I needed a new forstner but when it kept
falling out of the chuck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 7:23*pm, DJ Delorie wrote:

* hollow chisel mortising

If this is a priority, be aware that not all drill presses will accept
the mortising head. I bought a Delta kit years ago and it would not
fit my 70's vintage Craftsman drill press.

If you are a casual mortising user, you might look at one of the cheap
Harbor Freight machines. I'm not a big HF fan, but when the Delta kit
didn't fit I bought a Harbor Freight mortiser on sale for $99. The
machine actually had a good set of chisels with it but the table and
hold-down fixture kinda sucks. I always said it would do until I got
something better. Still have it after 5-6 years and I didn't pay much
more for the machine that the Delta kit.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

Have a look at the drill presses and mill/drills at Enco. Real machine
shop tools, decent prices. Local machine shop and some friends are
very big fans of their offerings and rate them a step above Grizzly.
On line catalog at www.use-enco. There has been free shipping on some
machines lately.

Joe