Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Bench Grinder

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons and
miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned, or
just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Bill

Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick
ChangeSpecifications:

a.. Motor: 5 A, 120V, 60 Hz, 1,725-3,450 RPM
b.. Shaft Diameter: 5/8 Inch
a.. Wheel Diameter: 8 Inches
a.. Motor Control: Variable-speed
b.. Wheels:
a.. Diameter: 8"
b.. Face: 1 "
c.. Hole: 5/8"
c.. Weight: 44 lbs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons and
miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned, or
just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Bill

Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick
ChangeSpecifications:

a.. Motor: 5 A, 120V, 60 Hz, 1,725-3,450 RPM
b.. Shaft Diameter: 5/8 Inch
a.. Wheel Diameter: 8 Inches
a.. Motor Control: Variable-speed
b.. Wheels:
a.. Diameter: 8"
b.. Face: 1 "
c.. Hole: 5/8"
c.. Weight: 44 lbs.

I have a 1725rpm grinder with 8" white wheels. It is far superior to
my old 3450rpm 6" grinder but it will still burn plane and chisel iron
if I push it. Just be careful and, yes, a cup of water is quite helpful.
The only thing I can think of that would be better is a water cooled
wheel like a tormek. But I'm too cheap for that.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons
and miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned,
or just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Bill

Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick
ChangeSpecifications:

a.. Motor: 5 A, 120V, 60 Hz, 1,725-3,450 RPM
b.. Shaft Diameter: 5/8 Inch
a.. Wheel Diameter: 8 Inches
a.. Motor Control: Variable-speed
b.. Wheels:
a.. Diameter: 8"
b.. Face: 1 "
c.. Hole: 5/8"
c.. Weight: 44 lbs.

I've got one. works fine. I rarely run it at anything but full speed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons and miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned, or just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Bill

Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick ChangeSpecifications:

a.. Motor: 5 A, 120V, 60 Hz, 1,725-3,450 RPM
b.. Shaft Diameter: 5/8 Inch
a.. Wheel Diameter: 8 Inches
a.. Motor Control: Variable-speed
b.. Wheels:
a.. Diameter: 8"
b.. Face: 1 "
c.. Hole: 5/8"
c.. Weight: 44 lbs.

Maybe this is one possibility? I think it's a great deal.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/t10010

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LGLA" wrote in message

Maybe this is one possibility? I think it's a great deal.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/t10010

How about this one, if yer cheap!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:22:06 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

never sharpened a plane iron, but I'm a turner and do LOTS of sharpening...
I'm very happy with this one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...d-Grinder.aspx

Slow speed, well made and comes with 2 wheels (wheels are worth at least $30
each)
So, for $20 or $30 plus shipping, you get two nice wheels with a grinder
attached..

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons and
miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned, or
just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Bill

Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick
ChangeSpecifications:

a.. Motor: 5 A, 120V, 60 Hz, 1,725-3,450 RPM
b.. Shaft Diameter: 5/8 Inch
a.. Wheel Diameter: 8 Inches
a.. Motor Control: Variable-speed
b.. Wheels:
a.. Diameter: 8"
b.. Face: 1 "
c.. Hole: 5/8"
c.. Weight: 44 lbs.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

How about this one, if yer cheap!

Looks like a good one for just axes and the like, froes maybe?
Or just cruder needs. Lawn mower and edger blades.

Tall Alex
Carpinteria, SoCal

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LGLA" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons
and miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned,
or just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Bill

Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick
ChangeSpecifications:

a.. Motor: 5 A, 120V, 60 Hz, 1,725-3,450 RPM
b.. Shaft Diameter: 5/8 Inch
a.. Wheel Diameter: 8 Inches
a.. Motor Control: Variable-speed
b.. Wheels:
a.. Diameter: 8"
b.. Face: 1 "
c.. Hole: 5/8"
c.. Weight: 44 lbs.

Maybe this is one possibility? I think it's a great deal.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/t10010

Not sure what magizine it was, but said the Griz gringer was the best buy.
It isn't in a Tormek class, but for the price....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons and
miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned, or
just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Bill

Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick
ChangeSpecifications:

a.. Motor: 5 A, 120V, 60 Hz, 1,725-3,450 RPM
b.. Shaft Diameter: 5/8 Inch
a.. Wheel Diameter: 8 Inches
a.. Motor Control: Variable-speed
b.. Wheels:
a.. Diameter: 8"
b.. Face: 1 "
c.. Hole: 5/8"
c.. Weight: 44 lbs.

The slower speed (1725) is good. More importantly, what are the
wheel material and what grit(s)? I like aluminum oxide and 100/200
grit for most tasks. A gooseneck incandescent lamp is a good
improvement for any grinder.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:22:06 -0500, the infamous "Bill"
scrawled the following:

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons and
miscellaneous use?
I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be concerned, or
just careful (cup of
water nearby..)?

Ahem. One doesn't use a lowly grinder on a regal plane iron, sir.

Scary(tm) it on a coarse diamond plate, then finish Scarying(tm) it on
finer plates and/or sandpaper. Finish honing on a strop.

Losing the temper of the iron is far too easy on a grinder.
Just Say No!

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Is the following bench grinder one of the better choices for plane irons and
miscellaneous use?

[...]
Delta 8 Inch Variable-Speed Grinder with Tool-less Quick
ChangeSpecifications:

Sure. I have the same one and after some modifications and
adjustments--it's great.

When I got mine I had several issues that needed to be corrected.

1) Turn the thing on and it would shake the whole bench it was
mounted to. Some of this could initially be dealt with by adjusting
the speed. But the shaking was damaging all the light bulbs I put
into the lamp. Easy fix for that was to switch from regular light
bulbs to ones designed for use in a ceiling fan. Apparently the
filaments in those are more sturdy.

2) Replaced the coarsest wheel with 120 grit. I use my grinder
for both establishing an initial bevel on chisels and plane blades, but
I also use it for sharpening turning tools.

3) To solve the shaking problem I first tried truing up the
wheels with the dressing tool. Small improvement, but not enough.
To completely solve the problem I had to balance the grinding wheels.
To do that I used the Oneway Balancing System[1]. I had no problems
getting the Oneway system to work with the new 120G wheel I added,
but had to modify the remaining original wheel that came with the
grinder. The wheels that came with my grinder have a plastic insert
that's glued into the center of the wheel that reduce the center
to fit the 5/8" shaft. I had to drill that plastic out so that the
wheel could fit on to the Oneway balancing hub.

So yes, it is a decent grinder and the variable speed is a great
feature. But if your grinder is like mine, it's going to take some
additional work and purchases to get it working properly.

I was concerned that it might not be slow enough. Should I be
concerned, or just careful (cup of water nearby..)?

At its slowest speed you can still overheat something if you leave it
there long enough. I go with what I'm feeling through my fingers. If it
is too hot to hold onto, then it's time to dunk it in some water.

[1]: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...26&cat=1,43072
Posted to rec.woodworking

Artemus wrote:

I have a 1725rpm grinder with 8" white wheels.

[...]
The only thing I can think of that would be better is a water cooled
wheel like a tormek.

The problem with those water cooled wheels is they turn slowly and
in turn remove material slowly. If you're looking to put a new
bevel on a chisel or plane blade, you'll be there for quite awhile.

I have both the 8" variable speed grinder from Delta and an older
Delta water cooled grinder with a 10" wheel. The only thing I'm using
the 10" water cooled wheel for is to touch up the edges on some skew
chisel turning tools.