Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Flutes in a post

Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Thanks

FWIW - Rockler has a jig for flutes -

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=flutes

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

How would you rout these flutes? ...

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

Doable; been there done it that way.

Or you could bit the bullet and buy one of the mult-flute bits; there
are many choices of size/number of flutes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 11:19*am, Matt wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? *The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. *Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Thanks

FWIW - Rockler has a jig for flutes -

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=flutes

Matt

Thanks Matt, I had not seen this jig before. Good tip.

Do the grooves look like a core box bit? It's a crummy picture. They
could be V-groove.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I've only come across ones with three flutes. Do you you know of a
link to one with more?

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

I'd likely do it on the router table with a core box bit and a featherboard
to keep it tight against the fence. A jig for handheld wouldn't be all that
hard to cobble up though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Nov 20, 11:19 am, Matt wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Hey gang,
I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg
How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.
I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??
Any ideas?
Thanks

FWIW - Rockler has a jig for flutes -

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=flutes

Matt

Thanks Matt, I had not seen this jig before. Good tip.

Do the grooves look like a core box bit? It's a crummy picture. They
could be V-groove.

Agreed, the picture is crummy. I thought the groves had been done with
a core box bit, but that could have simply been that I saw in it what I
wanted to see (darn bifocals anyway!). The technical info pages list
core box, v-groove, straight bits, and others as "additional accessories
you might be interested in", so I *assume* you could pretty much use the
bit of your choice.

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=flutes

Matt

Thanks Matt, I had not seen this jig before. Good tip.

Do the grooves look like a core box bit? It's a crummy picture. They
could be V-groove.

Save yourself 70 bucks and make that jig... it's pretty simple.

Do you have a table?

I just googled "core box bit" and saw a bunch of radius bits. Is that
all it is?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 12:33*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=flutes

Matt

Thanks Matt, I had not seen this jig before. *Good tip.

Do the grooves look like a core box bit? *It's a crummy picture. *They
could be V-groove.

Save yourself 70 bucks and make that jig... it's pretty simple.

Do you have a table?

I just googled "core box bit" and saw a bunch of radius bits. *Is that
all it is?

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike,

I'm not sure if it's a core box or a v-groove due to the poor quality
of the picture. I think I might try both in scrap and see which looks
more appealing to the client.

Here are Core-Box bits from Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2121

And I agree, the jig looks simple enough to build.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you own a lathe?

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Joe" wrote in message

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you own a lathe?

jc

Nevermind that stupid question.
,rolls eyes at self

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

GarageWoodworks wrote:
I've only come across ones with three flutes. Do you you know of a
link to one with more?

OTOMH, no--I'm pretty sure I've seen 5-flute/bead multi-bits as well as
3 but couldn't say if were Amana/Whiteside/CMT/somebody-else at the moment.

On making, my preferred way is to set fence to center first cut (which
is relatively simply done by using test piece and reversing ends 'til
get no mismatch from either direction). Then, cut all pieces at that
setting and adjust fence back next step distance (again, checking on
your test piece). Then, cut the two next closest to center, one from
each direction. That's a 3-flute/bead; repeat once for each additional
pair. Rarely if ever have I seen more than five on anything but a very
large architectural moulding.

As for the question raised earlier, for a furniture piece as your sample
I'd tend to prefer round fluting as opposed to veining; for one thing it
doesn't collect dust as badly or is more easily cleaned w/o the sharp
corner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:

Mike,

I'm not sure if it's a core box or a v-groove due to the poor quality
of the picture. I think I might try both in scrap and see which looks
more appealing to the client.

Here are Core-Box bits from Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2121

And I agree, the jig looks simple enough to build.

When I think "flutes" I think raduis, which is what those core box bits are.

Although that pics appears to be either very tiny flutes or just giving
the appearance of columns.
They could be saw blade curfs, which would be a lot easier.

You didn't say if you had a router table.

When I made the fluted trim for these...
http://www.mikedrums.com/bookcases.jpg
....I mounted by router underneath a melamine worktable I made for the
project build.
I screwed down long scraps to the table as a fence, and the same with
homemade fetherboards. It made it real easy to accurately run 8' lengths
through the router.

Not sure I would've done that for just fluting, but since I made all
that trim, custom, I used the router *a lot* on that project.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Thanks

I did this for a customer when I built a butcher block table. I did it all
on the router table and like you indicated used spacer blocks between the
fence and the leg. Run one side, flip ends and run the other, that will
give you evenly spaced inner flutes, then add you spacer and repeat. Test
on scraps for proper spacing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 1:00*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Mike,

I'm not sure if it's a core box or a v-groove due to the poor quality
of the picture. *I think I might try both in scrap and see which looks
more appealing to the client.

Here are Core-Box bits from Rockler:http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2121

And I agree, the jig looks simple enough to build.

When I think "flutes" I think raduis, which is what those core box bits are.

Although that pics appears to be either very tiny flutes or just giving
the appearance of columns.
They could be saw blade curfs, which would be a lot easier.

You didn't say if you had a router table.

Sorry. Yes, I have a router table.

When I made the fluted trim for these...http://www.mikedrums.com/bookcases.jpg
...I mounted by router underneath a melamine worktable I made for the
project build.
I screwed down long scraps to the table as a fence, and the same with
homemade fetherboards. It made it real easy to accurately run 8' lengths
through the router.

Not sure I would've done that for just fluting, but since I made all
that trim, custom, I used the router *a lot* on that project.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I know you said stop giving ideas but here is one of my custom tips,
no charge. This only applies if the flutes will terminate before the
end of the material rather than running of the end and butting into a
plinth or head block.

I use a frame and use spacers to cut the flutes. The really cool
feature is to use a radius ended bit core box (or cove I think) and
ramp out at the end of the flutes. So at the end of the frame you
have a ramp so the bit lifts out of the material over about 1/2" so
instead of a radiused end to the flute you get a sort of a point.
Woodworkers will scratch their head and customers will never notice.
But this is what it would look like if you did it by hand with gouges,
etc.

An added advantage to this technique is that you (largely) avoid burning
at the end of the stopped flutes. This is particularly an issue with
cherry and maple.

~Mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 20, 2:59*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? *The posts will be 41" long and 1.75"
wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series of
shims for the spacings. *Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Got a molding head for your saw? *

Unfortunately no. That does sound like a much quicker solution.

That profile looks like one that is a
pretty standard cutter and a saw is a lot faster. *The cut will be much
better too since the cutter is revolving parallel to the grain rather than
cross grain like a router bit.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Nov 20, 2:59 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm working on a bookcase design and the client want flutes running
down the leg similar to this:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/pictures/bookcase.jpg

How would you rout these flutes? The posts will be 41" long and
1.75" wide.

I'm thinking of using handheld router with edge guide and a series
of shims for the spacings. Core box bit??

Any ideas?

Got a molding head for your saw?

Unfortunately no. That does sound like a much quicker solution.

Spend gasp $100 sometime. Includes some cutters, additional available at
$18.99 per set of three (were $5-6 not long ago)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...d=molding+head

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
Got a molding head for your saw?

Unfortunately no. That does sound like a much quicker solution.

Spend gasp $100 sometime. Includes some cutters, additional available at
$18.99 per set of three (were $5-6 not long ago)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...d=molding+head

This thing is pretty cool...
http://www.cmtutensili.com/show_items.asp?pars=RIC~235.ric~2

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Bowl gouge flutes; V. U, ?. Arch Woodturning 10 April 8th 08 03:49 PM
suggestions on cutting flutes on a corner post? Tom Woodworking 5 February 16th 07 12:52 AM
Turning flutes mac davis Woodturning 2 January 30th 06 09:24 PM
Flutes questions David Woodworking 7 January 6th 06 08:11 PM
slot cutters, are more flutes better? Routerman P. Warner Woodworking 0 September 11th 03 01:58 PM