Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Ramblings of a Retired Mind

"RonB" wrote in message
Your subject line got my attention. I'm supposed to receive my first
federal stimulus (SS) deposit tomorrow.

We have gone the opposite direction with phones. Last year we
relocated to SE Kansas and started building our retirement home. We
decided to use cells only until we moved into the new house. We moved
in. It is wired for several phones, but after 1-1/2 years without a
land-line we can't come up with a compelling reason to have one.

I can and if I lived in tornado alley like you do, it would be even more
important to me. Cell phone providers generally oversell their systems by
about 75%. Their thinking is that no more than 25% of their subscribers will
be using the phone at any one time. They are right, usually. In the case of
natural (or unnatural) disaster, the cell system gets so jammed that it is
useless. Many people will try to claim otherwise but I have seen it time
after time. Same will happen with emergency services due to the trunking
system many places are using. At least around here (Seattle) they were smart
enough to plan for that and they retained their old frequencies for backup.
I have a land line ($55 per month). I also have a cell phone ($16.50 per
month) that I use for most everything (including texting which is half rate
and long distance which is no additional charge) but I will not give up my
land line. In a disaster situation (such as the earthquake we had here some
years back) cell phones were, as usual, useless. Between my land line and 2
meter radio, communication was no problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW said:

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Cell phones are no good when the towers blow down in a hurricane or
tornado, or are overloaded, as you point out.

You're on the right track with the radio! When the big one falls,
HAMs will be among the few not running around like decapitated
chickens. Keep a hank long wire antenna stashed for emergencies.

(For a toe tapping dystopian scenario, listen to Steely Dan, King of
the World - 1976)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 17, 8:31*pm, Greg wrote:
CW said:

Cell phones are no good when the towers blow down in a hurricane or
tornado, or are overloaded, as you point out.

I'm not just arguing but there is still a fair amount of phone service
above ground. I would agree though that while cell service is getting
much better in our rural area, it might be iffy in a serious weather
event.

However, I had the occasion to call 911 a couple of months ago during
a hell of a thunderstorm. In addition to 5+ inches of rain in 2-3
hours we took one VERY CLOSE lightening strike. Lit up the entire
interior of the house WHITE. I saw sparks and debris flying out of a
GFI receptacle in our kitchen and grabbed the phone immediately. The
call went right through.

We ended up with about $2,000 worth of electronics and electrical
damage not including all of our internet provider's wireless
equipment.

However...........This string of messages has given me reason to think
about good reasons to have a land line.

Hhhhmmmmmm.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:31:02 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

CW said:

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Battery powered HAM. Almost anyone can get a HAM license nowadays
since they took out the keying requirement. You no longer need to
know Morris (_or_ Morse) code. The little handheld units are selling
for under $100 everywhere. I'm tempted, but so far haven't jumped. My
buddy sent me a CD with all sorts of info on it.

(For a toe tapping dystopian scenario, listen to Steely Dan, King of
the World - 1976)

Iffen it's a toe tappin' dystopian scenario you're wanting, me boyo,
listen to King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man". It's my Fripp
and Wesson. /poetic license

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:37:16 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

In article , CW
wrote:

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

About four years ago we had a pretty serious blizzard hit the city.
White out conditions, buses stopped running, schools closed.

As it turned out, not only was every citizen on their cell trying to
sort out picking up the kids, etc., but the emergency responders had
decided the cellular system was the way to go for communications in an
emergency.

Proof to Naily that CA isn't perfect! This is wonderful news.

Every radio station in town was asking people to stay off their cell
phones so the cops and firefighters could use the circuits!

Idiots...

My buddy in LoCal works for the emergency guys, RACES, in San Diego
County, CA, USA. They were able to convince the local idiots not to
do that same thing your guys did, so the fire, police, emergency crews
can now, finally, all talk to one another. Even during emergencies,
_and_ all at once! I don't recall the details, but it really helped
during the fires in recent years in SoCal.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:31:02 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

(For a toe tapping dystopian scenario, listen to Steely Dan, King of
the World - 1976)

Iffen it's a toe tappin' dystopian scenario you're wanting, me boyo,
listen to King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man". It's my Fripp
and Wesson. /poetic license

If, by "toe tappin'" you mean a song where the band sounds like it's running down a long and
randomly winding staircase while they're playing their instruments, then yeah, it's a
toe-tapper all right! What glorious chaos. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
news
I can and if I lived in tornado alley like you do, it would be even more
important to me. Cell phone providers generally oversell their systems by
about 75%. Their thinking is that no more than 25% of their subscribers
will be using the phone at any one time. They are right, usually. In the
case of natural (or unnatural) disaster, the cell system gets so jammed
that it is useless.

The same thing can happen to land based communications. There are only so
many circuits in any given area.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message

I second that. What the he** was wrong the VHF/FM radios used
successfully for the past 40 years? Let me guess, some shill for the
telecom industry sold some bribe-taking pink-handed paper-shuffler on
the idea...

Of course, it couldn't possibly be that the fire departments and police
agencies, etc. are in love with the idea of their own cell phones, can it?
You started out right by asking about VHF radios, but you went astray. Back
in those days, radio discipline was in order and for the most part the
radios were used for genuinely official purposes. Now that cells are all
over, the aforementioned agencies want them - not because some "shill" sold
them, but because they want to be important. Conversations are private so
there is no longer a "radio discipline" requirement for those using cells.
The net is that you have tons of agencies using their official phones for
all of their private use.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques said:

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:31:02 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

(For a toe tapping dystopian scenario, listen to Steely Dan, King of
the World - 1976)

Iffen it's a toe tappin' dystopian scenario you're wanting, me boyo,
listen to King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man". It's my Fripp
and Wesson. /poetic license

Had the LP. It's gone. King Crimson, Brian Eno, Talking Heads, BOC.
Although toe tapping isn't the first thing that comes to mind...
Even Swingman would like the mixes on the Steely Dan stuff. Smooth,
layered, harmonic depth. Horns, back melodies, lyrics of sorts. No
wall of excruciating sound. Back when producers had ears.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

That was probably a big issue in the beginning. They're so cheap now
it makes little sense to persist. They should demand a log of all
calls to stop use of "company" materials for private use, but you
still have the problem of a inherently bad choice.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:20:38 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques said:

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:31:02 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

(For a toe tapping dystopian scenario, listen to Steely Dan, King of
the World - 1976)

Iffen it's a toe tappin' dystopian scenario you're wanting, me boyo,
listen to King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man". It's my Fripp
and Wesson. /poetic license

Had the LP. It's gone. King Crimson, Brian Eno, Talking Heads, BOC.
Although toe tapping isn't the first thing that comes to mind...
Even Swingman would like the mixes on the Steely Dan stuff. Smooth,
layered, harmonic depth. Horns, back melodies, lyrics of sorts. No
wall of excruciating sound. Back when producers had ears.

I switched to jazz, but I still have (and listen to) lots of King
Crimson, Zep, Black Sabbath (#2), Jethro Tull (#1, my fave band ever)
and Steely Dan.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.
-- Thomas Paine
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

The same thing can happen to land based communications. There are
only so many circuits in any given area.

At a presentation I saw some time ago, one of the presenters suggested
having both local and long distance emergency contacts. Sometimes you
can't get a call through in a local area, but you can call long distance.
Not sure if it works or not, but it's a good idea anyway.

Puckdropper
--
Did I break it or did I simply expose it's vulnerability?