Posted to rec.woodworking

Default hint: the tablesaw doesn't go on the ice chest

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...mputation.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Right. It goes on the folding card table. Everybody knows that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A plastic 5-gallon bucket works well too!
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlie said:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...mputation.html

Ouch! Well, let's see...
A finger tip costs $16,000 to re-attach.
Down to the knuckle runs $27,000.
What do you think this is going to cost?

I think the problem may have stemmed from what _was_ IN the cooler
before he set the saw up there.

What, no pictures?

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg G." wrote in message
charlie said:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...mputation.html

Ouch! Well, let's see...
A finger tip costs $16,000 to re-attach.
Down to the knuckle runs $27,000.
What do you think this is going to cost?

I think the problem may have stemmed from what _was_ IN the cooler
before he set the saw up there.

Many years ago my father told a similar story. A guy he worked with was
using a table top portable saw and it fell off the table while he was
sawing... He tried to catch it and sawed his fingers off during his effort.
I never forgot that story and any time I used a small saw I clamped it down.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
charlie said:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...mputation.html

Ouch! Well, let's see...
A finger tip costs $16,000 to re-attach.
Down to the knuckle runs $27,000.
What do you think this is going to cost?

I think the problem may have stemmed from what _was_ IN the cooler
before he set the saw up there. (SS: this oughta fire some up...)

Many years ago my father told a similar story. A guy he worked with was
using a table top portable saw and it fell off the table while he was
sawing... He tried to catch it and sawed his fingers off during his effort.
I never forgot that story and any time I used a small saw I clamped it down.

Ouch again. The movie Sicko mentions a guy who committed an absolute
cardinal sin while using a small saw and removed several fingers.

One thing I learned as a kid while using soldering irons and knives
was to never grab for a falling tool that can in any way injure.

Maybe the Feds should require all saws to have a Saw Stop device
installed.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:
John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
charlie said:

[...]

So, now the feds should tell me I can't use my non "Saw Stop" tablesaw
'cause I might hurt myself?

I wonder how they protect folks from their tablesaws in Cuba?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

I wonder how they protect folks from their tablesaws in Cuba?

Unless you are Cuban, who cares?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn said:

Greg G. wrote:
John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
charlie said:

[...]

One... two... three... Hooked.

(Look up to the arrow) ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
charlie said:

[...]

You laugh. This is one reason why I am against tax-funded medical
treatment--it gives the government an incentive to micromanage our behavior
to control expenses. We're already starting to see some of this with seat
belt laws and the like.

I wonder how they protect folks from their tablesaws in Cuba?

By keeping them too poor to own one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 7:34*pm, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
. ..
charlie said:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...113abrk-amputa....

[...]

They use hand saws. :-)

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:49:57 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
. ..
charlie said:

[...]

Right.

Maybe the Feds should require all saws to have a Saw Stop device
installed.

Bite your freakin' tongue, Greg. _Never_ give the gov't an excuse to
take power or decisions away from you.

Think DARWIN! Survival of the fittest. Let the stupid ones kill
themselves off.

--
Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques said:

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:49:57 -0500, the infamous Greg
scrawled the following:

I think the problem may have stemmed from what _was_ IN the cooler
before he set the saw up there. (SS: this oughta fire some up...) -------

Maybe the Feds should require all saws to have a Saw Stop device
installed.

Bite your freakin' tongue, Greg. _Never_ give the gov't an excuse to
take power or decisions away from you.

Another strike, not sure I can land it however...

Think DARWIN! Survival of the fittest. Let the stupid ones kill
themselves off.

I do... ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg G. wrote:
John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
charlie said:

[...]

Women often wear skirts. When they drop something their conditioned
response is to spread their legs and catch it on the skirt. Men do not wear
skirts (except in Scotland and Greece) and their conditioned response is to
put their legs together to catch it. Any man who has dropped a needle knows
why the female strategy is superior.

There is a lesson here somewhere but damned if I know what it is.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:07:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Greg G. wrote:
John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
charlie said:

[...]

I don't. I spread my feet. It's easier to pick it up off the floor,
when there is time to figure out the best strategy. This comes with
fifty years experience with a soldering iron. ;-)

There is a lesson here somewhere but damned if I know what it is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke said:

Greg G. wrote:
One thing I learned as a kid while using soldering irons and knives
was to never grab for a falling tool that can in any way injure.

Women often wear skirts. When they drop something their conditioned
response is to spread their legs and catch it on the skirt. Men do not wear
skirts (except in Scotland and Greece) and their conditioned response is to
put their legs together to catch it. Any man who has dropped a needle knows
why the female strategy is superior.

There is a lesson here somewhere but damned if I know what it is.

Well, the first lesson that pops to mind is to drop "something" in the
lap of the next good looking woman you meet... ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 14, 5:07*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Greg G. wrote:
John Grossbohlin said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
. ..
charlie said:

[...]

It is that someone has read Tom Sawyer. Or was it Huckleberry Finn?

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

tool that can in any way injure.

Maybe the Feds should require all saws to have a Saw Stop device
installed.

Greg G.

I suspect that is exactly what the government will do someday. But
not until they have over-specified a good safety feature into a $5,000
government kludged mess.

Be careful what you pray for!

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB said:

Maybe the Feds should require all saws to have a Saw Stop device
installed.

I suspect that is exactly what the government will do someday. But
not until they have over-specified a good safety feature into a $5,000
government kludged mess.

Be careful what you pray for!

Well, a determined nibble at best...

I was lurking around when the first protracted and heated arguments
over the Saw Stop device patent holder soliciting government to
require the installation of these device on ALL tablesaws was fresh.

It was a slow Friday night and thought I'd see how many took the bait.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
tool that can in any way injure.

Maybe the Feds should require all saws to have a Saw Stop
device
installed.

Greg G.

I suspect that is exactly what the government will do someday.
But
not until they have over-specified a good safety feature into a
$5,000
government kludged mess.

Be careful what you pray for!

RonB

Here in the US, our favorite prayer is called the Obama Prayer.
Psalm 109:8".

"May his days be few; and may another take his office."

--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
out of both sides of a drunken
Congressman's mouth?

The floor is level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default the tablesaw doesn't go on the ice chest

3 friends have lost fingers from saws
1 had his fingers other side of blade kickback dragged fingers into blade
2 was cutting big piece of plywood and it started to flip up off blade he
pushed it back down fingers onto blade
3 using chop saw I think he had his hand on far side of blade and as he was
bringing it down he was pulling back his hand and it touched the blade and
dragged it in
Not that things go wrong often but
I lean way back hands above head when things go wrong I look a little
girlish and I still have fingernails to paint if I wanted too...
Also have socialized single payer healthcare here but don't want to use it
that bad.

"charlie" wrote in message
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...mputation.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rusty" wrote in message
news
3 friends have lost fingers from saws
1 had his fingers other side of blade kickback dragged fingers into blade
2 was cutting big piece of plywood and it started to flip up off blade he
pushed it back down fingers onto blade
3 using chop saw I think he had his hand on far side of blade and as he
was bringing it down he was pulling back his hand and it touched the blade
and dragged it in
Not that things go wrong often but
I lean way back hands above head when things go wrong I look a little
girlish and I still have fingernails to paint if I wanted too...
Also have socialized single payer healthcare here but don't want to use it
that bad.

I think all 3 of those examples are good lessons and I'm going to especially
remember 1 and 2.
Another one, recently mentioned by a
reader in FWW, happened when the reader reached down to turn off his saw and
he still
held his push stick near the blade--and as he leaned over the saw blade
propelled the push stick through
neck (in this case, the result was not as bad as it could have been).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rusty wrote:
3 friends have lost fingers from saws
1 had his fingers other side of blade kickback dragged fingers into blade
2 was cutting big piece of plywood and it started to flip up off blade he
pushed it back down fingers onto blade

I'm guessing he had the saw guard off.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Rusty wrote:
3 friends have lost fingers from saws
1 had his fingers other side of blade kickback dragged fingers into blade
2 was cutting big piece of plywood and it started to flip up off blade he
pushed it back down fingers onto blade

I'm guessing he had the saw guard off.

As do most people.

....which explain most of the lost digits.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

OT (very) but a good hint Bob Home Repair 10 November 5th 07 09:37 PM
What is it for - 2nd hint Charlie M. 1958 Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 June 28th 07 06:52 PM
AEG washing machine hint Paul D.Smith UK diy 5 November 9th 06 12:33 AM
Old metalworking hint..does it work? Koz Metalworking 6 October 30th 05 03:36 PM
Today's Hint - Don't do things like this RonB Woodturning 97 November 21st 04 07:28 AM