Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default OT (very) but a good hint

A couple months ago, a friend told me how he makes his blade (throw
away) razors last a long time. I tried it, and it really works,
plus costs next to nothing.

He said that after shaving and water rinsing your razor, to dip it
in alcohol. That is supposed to dispel the water and clean the
razor, making it last. He said that he had been using the same
blade for over four months.

I bought a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (store brand). I found a
small jar of old peanut butter in the cabinet and had my wife clean
it out and wash the jar.

Poured about 1 1/2 inches of the alcohol in the jar and put the lid
on.

After shaving, I swish my razor in the alcohol (replace the lid),
let the razor air dry for a couple minutes and put it back in its
plastic shield.

I was buying very cheap razors, two blade throw aways, and could get
an average of three shaves out of one. Since trying the alcohol
cleaning method, I have used one razor for five weeks but it is just
about time to toss it. Normally, I would have used about ten or
more razors in this time.

Next time I buy razors, I'm going for a better quality since I know
how to take care of them now.

Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone is interested. It sure
doesn't cost much to try - probably under a buck. It won't save you
enough to buy a new car, but what the heck.

If you try it, let us know your experience.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

I bought a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (store brand). I found a
small jar of old peanut butter in the cabinet and had my wife clean
it out and wash the jar.

Why didn't you clean out the jar? After all, this was for you not your
wife.
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:
I bought a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (store brand). I found a
small jar of old peanut butter in the cabinet and had my wife clean
it out and wash the jar.

Why didn't you clean out the jar? After all, this was for you not your
wife.

Use the right tool for the job?

OP did the hard part: Planning, gathering of components, supervising.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 10:10 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Lou wrote:
I bought a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (store brand). I found a
small jar of old peanut butter in the cabinet and had my wife clean
it out and wash the jar.

Why didn't you clean out the jar? After all, this was for you not your
wife.

Use the right tool for the job?

OP did the hard part: Planning, gathering of components, supervising.

While it sounds like an excellent idea!
But thought those blades were stainless steel????
So why necessary?
BTW for many years my father and I myself while travelling and
working, used cut-throat razors; we had a pair each, bought at
pawnbrokers in the 1920s. Used them alternately day by day. Year after
year.
Still have them but being in one place most of the time now use an
electric.
PS. Yes getting your wife to do simple job like that sounds like of
one of those macho demeaning things! Unless her smaller fingers were
more suitable. Of course my grandmother had her own tool kit! Also my
father was just as capable at 'sewing on his own buttons'! One of his
expressions was "Can't stand a man who can't look after himself"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
Why didn't you clean out the jar? After all, this was for you not
your wife.

Use the right tool for the job?

OP did the hard part: Planning, gathering of components, supervising.

PS. Yes getting your wife to do simple job like that sounds like of
one of those macho demeaning things! Unless her smaller fingers were
more suitable. Of course my grandmother had her own tool kit! Also my
father was just as capable at 'sewing on his own buttons'! One of his
expressions was "Can't stand a man who can't look after himself"!

Macho, but not demeaning. Men and women are equal but not interchangable.

Show me a man who sews on buttons and I'll show you a Rosie Greer!

Women wash jars, men supervise. It's in the Book.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 1:52 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
terry wrote:
Why didn't you clean out the jar? After all, this was for you not
your wife.

Use the right tool for the job?

OP did the hard part: Planning, gathering of components, supervising.

PS. Yes getting your wife to do simple job like that sounds like of
one of those macho demeaning things! Unless her smaller fingers were
more suitable. Of course my grandmother had her own tool kit! Also my
father was just as capable at 'sewing on his own buttons'! One of his
expressions was "Can't stand a man who can't look after himself"!

Macho, but not demeaning. Men and women are equal but not interchangable.

Show me a man who sews on buttons and I'll show you a Rosie Greer!

Women wash jars, men supervise. It's in the Book.

Macho, but not demeaning.

The OP said: I found a small jar...and had my wife clean it out...

Macho *and* demeaning. Look 'em up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Macho, but not demeaning. Men and women are equal but not
interchangable.

Show me a man who sews on buttons and I'll show you a Rosie Greer!

Women wash jars, men supervise. It's in the Book.

Macho, but not demeaning.

The OP said: I found a small jar...and had my wife clean it out...

Macho *and* demeaning. Look 'em up.

No more so than:

"Hubert! The drain's clogged up again! Get in here and fix it!"

Each sex has a role: Women make the little decisions, like where the kids go
to school, where we live, whether the man should ask for a raise. Men make
the BIG decisions: Is there life on Mars, should we bomb Iran, Will J-Lo and
K-Fed get back together.

There you are. It's in the Book.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Each sex has a role: Women make the little decisions, like where the kids go
to school, where we live, whether the man should ask for a raise. Men make
the BIG decisions: Is there life on Mars, should we bomb Iran, Will J-Lo and
K-Fed get back together.

There you are. It's in the Book.

Sometimes it great not to read.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...

Each sex has a role: Women make the little decisions, like where
the kids go
to school, where we live, whether the man should ask for a raise.
Men make
the BIG decisions: Is there life on Mars, should we bomb Iran,
Will J-Lo and
K-Fed get back together.

There you are. It's in the Book.

Sometimes it great not to read.

Ya' never know what direction any topic will take. Anyway, since,
my comment about getting my wife to clean a peanut butter jar, there
have been several comments; some pro and some con. I'm going to set
the record straight.

My lovely wife of 54 years has always and will always anything I
tell (or sometimes ask if I am in a good mood) her to do. Cleaning
peanut butter jars is nothing, but I also treat her very good.

For example, in 1972, I bought her a car of her own. It was a dull
gray 1956 Nash Rambler, a real jewel. She still has that car and I
allow her to use at least once a week to go to the grocery store.
Sometimes I let her go twice a week, it depends if I need more beer
or not.

I have taught her to change oil in her Nash and now allow her to do
it without my direct supervision. I also let her change shock
absorbers a couple times and she can now do that alone as well. I
buy her gifts as well. Last month, I got her a modern vacuum
cleaner to replace the old one (bought in 1958), and she loves it.

I could go on about all the things I do for my wife, like the new
deer rifle so I can get some food for us to eat, etc. But you see,
we have a great working relationship. She does whatever I want her
to do, and I treat her real well to show my appreciation.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for a fun post:-))

LouB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Deer rifle aaaayyyy?
So, how much alchohol does that peanut butter jar hold?
Lou

What is it for - 2nd hint Charlie M. 1958 Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 June 28th 07 06:52 PM
AEG washing machine hint Paul D.Smith UK diy 5 November 9th 06 12:33 AM
Old metalworking hint..does it work? Koz Metalworking 6 October 30th 05 03:36 PM
Today's Hint - Don't do things like this RonB Woodturning 97 November 21st 04 07:28 AM