Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharpening Dust Collector Impellers

This is a spin off of the plane shavings discussion... there the discussion
evolved in to one about hand plane shavings getting caught up in the dust
collector impeller or the impeller screens after sailing through the
cyclone. My impellers have a "grinder sharp" edge on them (i.e., rough with
burrs) that seem to snag the plane shavings and clog up the impeller.

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would stop
the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of snagging.
Anyone ever sharpen their impeller? Looks like a lot of work to disassemble
the collector and sharpen all those surfaces so I figure that learning
through other's experiences might be a reasonable approach to this. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:
This is a spin off of the plane shavings discussion... there the
discussion evolved in to one about hand plane shavings getting caught
up in the dust collector impeller or the impeller screens after
sailing through the cyclone. My impellers have a "grinder sharp"
edge on them (i.e., rough with burrs) that seem to snag the plane
shavings and clog up the impeller.

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would
stop the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of
snagging. Anyone ever sharpen their impeller? Looks like a lot of
work to disassemble the collector and sharpen all those surfaces so I
figure that learning through other's experiences might be a
reasonable approach to this. ;~)

I'd be surprised if sharpening it accomplished much and you'd want to
rebalance it afterward.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

J. Clarke wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would
stop the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of
snagging. ...

I'd be surprised if sharpening it accomplished much and you'd want to
rebalance it afterward.

A DC fan housing isn't intended to be an ensilage chopper--there's no
shear surface against which the fan would have resistance to make the
cut. It would essentially be like throwing a shaving in the air and
swinging a butcher knife against it, hoping to slice it in two. Ain't
a-gonna' happen, for the most part...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...
This is a spin off of the plane shavings discussion... there the
discussion evolved in to one about hand plane shavings getting caught up
in the dust collector impeller or the impeller screens after sailing
through the cyclone. My impellers have a "grinder sharp" edge on them
(i.e., rough with burrs) that seem to snag the plane shavings and clog up
the impeller.

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would stop
the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of snagging.
Anyone ever sharpen their impeller? Looks like a lot of work to
disassemble the collector and sharpen all those surfaces so I figure that
learning through other's experiences might be a reasonable approach to
this. ;~)

John

I'd be inclined smooth the burrs off and also remove the sharp edge. It
won't cut up shavings and no matter how sharp it is, any sharp leading edge
will soon develop burrs again.
Impellers wear over time, and as it takes a lot to access yours, would it
make sense to put a new one in if you go to the trouble of disassembly?

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 10:39*am, dpb wrote:

A DC fan housing isn't intended to be an ensilage chopper--there's no
shear surface against which the fan would have resistance to make the
cut. *It would essentially be like throwing a shaving in the air and
swinging a butcher knife against it, hoping to slice it in two. *Ain't
a-gonna' happen, for the most part...

Wait a minute...are you telling me that I'm not supposed to be tossing
the vegetables in the air and chopping them mid-flight? How else am I
supposed to make a tossed salad?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
J. Clarke wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would
stop the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of
snagging. ...

I'd be surprised if sharpening it accomplished much and you'd want to
rebalance it afterward.

A DC fan housing isn't intended to be an ensilage chopper--there's no
shear surface against which the fan would have resistance to make the cut.
It would essentially be like throwing a shaving in the air and swinging a
butcher knife against it, hoping to slice it in two. Ain't a-gonna'
happen, for the most part...

If that is so, it begs the question of why did they sharpen the leading
edges of the impeller? A relative of mine owns a commercial shop and he
mentioned that his collectors have sharpened impellers... He's had small
pieces of wood sucked up and shredded as they bounced against it. I didn't
know mine were sharpened until I had to pull the rat's nest of hand plane
shavings out of it. They definitely have a beveled edge.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
J. Clarke wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would
stop the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of
snagging. ...

I'd be surprised if sharpening it accomplished much and you'd want to
rebalance it afterward.

A DC fan housing isn't intended to be an ensilage chopper--there's no
shear surface against which the fan would have resistance to make the
cut. It would essentially be like throwing a shaving in the air and
swinging a butcher knife against it, hoping to slice it in two. Ain't
a-gonna' happen, for the most part...

then food processor blades don't work?

If that is so, it begs the question of why did they sharpen the leading
edges of the impeller? A relative of mine owns a commercial shop and he
mentioned that his collectors have sharpened impellers... He's had small
pieces of wood sucked up and shredded as they bounced against it. I didn't
know mine were sharpened until I had to pull the rat's nest of hand plane
shavings out of it. They definitely have a beveled edge.

John

inertia. the object is being hit quickly, resists movement, and gets sliced.
do it enough times, the object goes away.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 3:45*pm, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

J. Clarke wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

[...]

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the edges were tapered, not
sharpened, to reduce the noise.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

charlie wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

...Ain't a-gonna' happen, for the most part...

then food processor blades don't work?

See above qualifier "for the most part". The material in the processor
isn't trying to be moved past the blades on its way somewhere else but
as you note below, remains there to get whacked on repeatedly.

inertia. the object is being hit quickly, resists movement, and gets sliced.
do it enough times, the object goes away.

And the light, fluffy shavings that were the subject of the problem
which raised the question ain't got much of that, neither...

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you live in the boondocks, you can do like I did and install a
"Y" in the line between the bag and the impeller. In my case,
one leg of the "Y" led to a buried 6" line extending to about 50'
behind the house and was the default way of disposing of cuttings
and dust. The bag was only used on really hot days when I didn't
want to waste any air conditioning.

By keeping the exit back in the wooded area, pine needles and
leaves would hide any DC dust or debris that didn't go away with a
rain.

--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don't sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting idea... Perhaps that is the reason but the execution was so
sharp and ragged as to suggest they were sharpened to shred items that got
hung up there.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:32:38 -0500, the infamous "John Grossbohlin"
scrawled the following:

This is a spin off of the plane shavings discussion... there the discussion
evolved in to one about hand plane shavings getting caught up in the dust
collector impeller or the impeller screens after sailing through the
cyclone. My impellers have a "grinder sharp" edge on them (i.e., rough with
burrs) that seem to snag the plane shavings and clog up the impeller.

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would stop
the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of snagging.
Anyone ever sharpen their impeller? Looks like a lot of work to disassemble
the collector and sharpen all those surfaces so I figure that learning
through other's experiences might be a reasonable approach to this. ;~)

Iffen ya do, you'd damned well better _balance_ that suckah, too.

I'd rather filter it prior to the impeller. Much safer that way.

--
You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of
OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be
Posted to rec.woodworking

If you sharpen it - you have to balance it back to perfect.
Otherwise it will fly apart or the like.
Martin

John Grossbohlin wrote:
This is a spin off of the plane shavings discussion... there the
discussion evolved in to one about hand plane shavings getting caught up
in the dust collector impeller or the impeller screens after sailing
through the cyclone. My impellers have a "grinder sharp" edge on them
(i.e., rough with burrs) that seem to snag the plane shavings and clog
up the impeller.

I'm now speculating whether "properly sharpening" the impeller would
stop the clogging. This as the shavings may be chopped up instead of
snagging. Anyone ever sharpen their impeller? Looks like a lot of work
to disassemble the collector and sharpen all those surfaces so I figure
that learning through other's experiences might be a reasonable approach
to this. ;~)

John

JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector? HerHusband Woodworking 4 October 28th 07 10:15 PM
HF Dust collector Jimmy Woodworking 11 December 9th 05 12:34 PM
Anyone have a JDS Dust-Force dust collector? [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 05:48 PM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM
Dust collector Bernie Bober Woodturning 4 November 23rd 04 07:34 PM