Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Adjustable Sawhorses for outfeed table

I noticed at an upcoming auction has a pair of Adjustable Sawhorses, made by
Stanley--looks like they can be adjusted between 31 and 37 inches. I was
thinking that they might be a good basis for an outfeed table for a TS or
Planer. I was also surprised to notice that they go for about $65-70 a
pair, or so new. Think I should I try to ride those sawhorses out of there,
or leave them to pasture?

Lew, I was thinking they might be helpful in ripping that 8' 2" by 8" lumber
we were talking about. You think so? Otherwise, all I might just have my
wife on the other send (it makes me shudder to think about it...).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

I noticed at an upcoming auction has a pair of Adjustable Sawhorses,
made by Stanley--looks like they can be adjusted between 31 and 37
inches. I was thinking that they might be a good basis for an
outfeed table for a TS or Planer. I was also surprised to notice
that they go for about $65-70 a pair, or so new. Think I should I
try to ride those sawhorses out of there, or leave them to pasture?

I'd pass.

Lew, I was thinking they might be helpful in ripping that 8' 2" by
8" lumber we were talking about. You think so? Otherwise, all I
might just have my wife on the other send (it makes me shudder to
think about it...).

BTDT. It works in a pinch.

Go to NYW and search for item #0603.

That roller table caught my eye when Norm built it.

Would be my 2nd choice after a dedicated run out table.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

I noticed at an upcoming auction has a pair of Adjustable Sawhorses, made
by Stanley--looks like they can be adjusted between 31 and 37 inches. I
was thinking that they might be a good basis for an outfeed table for a TS
or Planer. I was also surprised to notice that they go for about $65-70 a
pair, or so new. Think I should I try to ride those sawhorses out of
there, or leave them to pasture?

Lew, I was thinking they might be helpful in ripping that 8' 2" by 8"
lumber we were talking about. You think so? Otherwise, all I might just
have my wife on the other send (it makes me shudder to think about it...).

Bill

I started out with something along the lines of one of these:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/produc...view=1#details

Bought two of them at auction for $10 each. They were invaluable at the time
as sawhorses while I was building my first bench. At that price I would have
happily thrown them in the trash once I'd finished with them.
However, they're too handy for that. Now their primary use is for extra
adjustable height infeed/outfeed stands on my TS. (A piece of wood with
rounded edges clamped in the jaws, - can be set at any height required.)
Folded up when not required.

There must have been millions of this type of thing sold over the years, -
over here they come up at auction all the time, - consequently don't fetch
much.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

I noticed at an upcoming auction has a pair of Adjustable Sawhorses, made
by Stanley--looks like they can be adjusted between 31 and 37 inches. I
was thinking that they might be a good basis for an outfeed table for a TS
or Planer. I was also surprised to notice that they go for about $65-70 a
pair, or so new. Think I should I try to ride those sawhorses out of
there, or leave them to pasture?

Lew, I was thinking they might be helpful in ripping that 8' 2" by 8"
lumber we were talking about. You think so? Otherwise, all I might just
have my wife on the other send (it makes me shudder to think about it...).

Bill

Those are probably not going to work out well for you. You want to be able
to adjust at any point. IIRC those have fixed adjustmants that you may or
may not find to be correct for you aplication.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
I noticed at an upcoming auction has a pair of Adjustable Sawhorses,
made by Stanley--looks like they can be adjusted between 31 and 37
inches. I was thinking that they might be a good basis for an
outfeed table for a TS or Planer. I was also surprised to notice
that they go for about $65-70 a pair, or so new. Think I should I
try to ride those sawhorses out of there, or leave them to pasture?

I made a pair of extension tables for my drum sander. They are adjustable
both in height and length and work really well.

1. Each consists of two 1x3 (nominal) frames. One frame fits outside the
other and slides along it via splines that fit in grooves along the sides of
the inboard one. When length is adjusted as needed, the two are locked in
place with a knob with a 1/4 threaded rod.

The outboard frame has to slide along the inboard one; therefore, it has no
1x3 at the front. Instead, its two sides are held together there with a
piece of 1/4 ply across the sides and set into their tops.

2. The rollers are pieces of 1 1/2" PVC pipe. Each end has a piece of round
3/4" ply set into it and held firmly in place with a short flat head screw
countersunk into the PVC. The ply pieces are bushed with 3/4" long pieces
of copper pipe which has an ID of 1/4". Bolts through and afixed to the
frames extend into the roller end pieces.

3. The fixed, inboard frame is hinged to a piece of wood at the top of the
side of the table holding the sander. The piece of wood is slotted so it can
be adjusted up and down; once set, no further adjustment is needed.

4. The sliding, outboard frame has a single leg centered at the outboard
end. The leg is made of three pieces of wood, two vertical and one
horizontal. The two vertical ones are locked together but one can slide via
a sliding dovetail and locked via a knob. The horizontal piece at the top -
a bit less long than the frame is wide - is attached to the fixed leg member
and is attached to the frame with a piano hinge.

I used a single leg in the center because there is enough wobble in the
table that I can shift the leg laterally if I want to raise or lower one
side of the table a bit; that is handy sometimes.

5. When not in use the whole thing hangs at the side of the sander's table
not quite touching the floor. The "piece of wood" in #3 holds it far enough
away from the table side so that the folded leg doesn't quite touch the
table.

6. To use, one lifts up the bottom end then lowers and extends the leg.
There is no "stop" for the leg, I just use a pencil mark. At that point,
the table is about 30" long with 3 rollers; if I want/need it longer, I
loosen the knob on the sliding frame and pull it out; at that point the
length is about 60".

I have no idea how much it will hold but have used it with 9' x10" x 8/4 oak
with nary a problem.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

I noticed at an upcoming auction has a pair of Adjustable Sawhorses, made
by Stanley--looks like they can be adjusted between 31 and 37 inches. I
was thinking that they might be a good basis for an outfeed table for a
TS or Planer. I was also surprised to notice that they go for about
$65-70 a pair, or so new. Think I should I try to ride those sawhorses
out of there, or leave them to pasture?

Lew, I was thinking they might be helpful in ripping that 8' 2" by 8"
lumber we were talking about. You think so? Otherwise, all I might
just have my wife on the other send (it makes me shudder to think about
it...).

Bill

Those are probably not going to work out well for you. You want to be
able to adjust at any point. IIRC those have fixed adjustmants that you
may or may not find to be correct for you aplication.

I wondered about that. I thought maybe I could jury-rig it to get fractions
of an
inch. In retrospect, using the sawhorses sounds "sloppy". I'm going to
consider
the design at NYW further along with other possible outfeed table
solutions.
I have to grind concrete, fix drywall, epoxy the floor, and paint before
I'll need one anyway.
As you know, there is plenty of joy in the "planning". And I need to "plan"
to clean
the leaves out of the eave troughs/gutters too. ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote:

[...]

Lew,

Our extended family draws names at Christmas and I sent a link to this item
to my wife
who has been fishing for a request from me to pass along.
Who knows?? : ) The table looks like a nice project, and some
version of the wood storage unit and the planer table may be useful too.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I visited the Grizzley store in Williamsport PA to buy some
shop tools, I also saw and bought one of the handiest outfeed
tables I'd ever seen. It was a "universal" type that bolted to
the outfeed side of my PM66 and could be flipped up or down as
needed. In the down position, the rollers closest to the top
served as a minor extension of the outfeed table, while in the up
position, it added almost 3' of much appreciated support for
ripping long materials.

Another thing was something I built and that got lots of use and
appreciation. It was a little bench that was built to just the
height of my TS's table top. The bench was approximately 10" wide
by 3' long, and had a Formica top to help let things slide. It
typically sat to the left of my TS, and was a supplement to the 4'
factory built extension for sawing panels to the right of the cast
top. The little bench was built with solid ends and a shelf that
held things like the arbor wrench for the saw, spare blades etc.
The only thing I did slightly different on the little table was to
create a 1/4" drop to the infeed end, extending about 12" inward
to make a slight ramp so that things didn't catch on the edge. It
worked as both a side table for the TS as well as a further
extension to the flip up outfeed roller table for the really long
or fragile stuff.

Picture posted to binaries group

--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don’t sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.