Posted to rec.woodworking
Al Al is offline

Default Air compressor lines

"Nonny" wrote in message
A recent thread about air compressors for the shop reminds me of a solution
that worked for me. I had a cheap 5hp compressor with 60 gallon tank
located by my breaker box in an adjoining garage area. Air was piped to the
shop via a 3/8" flex line and then distributed to 3-4 locations in the
shop. As was posted by others, that's not enough air to run a good linear
or ROS, but plenty for most other uses.

While nothing will bump up the volume from the compressor, it was
irritating to not be able to break lugs or big bolts loose using my
biggest air wrench in the garage. Rather than snake in a 1/2" air line to
handle the big wrench, I hit on a great solution I'll share with you.

Simply get one of the 5-gallon "carry anywhere" air tanks sold at most
auto parts stores, Sears or other places. The tanks are intended to be
filled with compressed air and then taken to the site of the flat tire, or
where needed without lugging around a compressor.

In my case, I removed and tossed the 1/4" line that came with the tank,
drilled and fitted in a 1/2" air hose connection and put on a 4' long 1/2"
air line. The tank filler was replaced with a 3/8" quick connect fitting
to match the nearby 3/8" line in the garage.

The tank acted like a capacitor, storing compressed air and being able to
release it in a burst equal to what you'd have with a 1/2" line. It
wouldn't last long, but would be plenty to run the big hammer wrench at
full power to loosen the stuck big stuff. Most of the time it wasn't
needed and I could just use the little stuff to do normal air wrenching.
However, when I needed a big boost, I'd just get out the tank, hook it
inline where I was working and get out the big wrench.

--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
handing him a diploma. Schools need standards
to measure the amount of education actually
absorbed by children. Don't sacrifice the smart
kids to make the dumb ones feel good about themselves.

I did something similar, I put the tank on the low pressure side of the
regulator to store regulated air. It made a difference when using a die
grinder.

Air compressor lines Gerald Ross[_2_] Woodworking 0 November 10th 09 11:52 PM
What Causes These Lines on My TV? jim evans[_2_] Electronics Repair 9 September 25th 08 03:46 AM
AIR LINES BT98 Woodworking 42 March 5th 07 12:55 PM
From chalk lines to roof lines--Putting final shingles at the top [email protected] Home Repair 14 September 27th 06 01:23 AM
Lines across JVC TV Hex Electronics Repair 2 September 25th 06 10:00 PM