Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Got a Check today!

I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change it
up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or publication
if I cash the check.

They will not necessarily publish the tip.

Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after accepting?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change it
up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or publication
if I cash the check.

They will not necessarily publish the tip.

Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after accepting?

Wood mag published one of mine in their print mag and paid $75. The
contract stated exclusivity for 6 months. The publication was well after
6 months, so I'm thinking of sending them an invoice for another 75
bucks. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change
it up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or
publication if I cash the check.

They will not necessarily publish the tip.

Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after
accepting?

Accepted a payment for an Oops! once. No exclusivity there and I wasn't
planning on repeating it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after accepting?

I recently rec'd a mailer for Wood magazine, 3 yrs for like $19 or
something (I forget, but it was cheap).

I just got the first issue (Oct. 2009), and the winning tipster got a
big Dremel tool package. The tip: USING A F'n POLYETHELENE CUTTING
BOARD TO MAKE ROUTER TEMPLATES!

Fer chrissakes, I've seen that tip, like 50 times.

So, tell me your tips and I'll resubmit and maybe get a Dremel tool or
something.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:
I just got the first issue (Oct. 2009), and the winning tipster got a
big Dremel tool package.

Is that a prize or a penalty?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 13:26:15 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change it
up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or publication
if I cash the check.

And, how much was this cheque for? If they do publish the tip, will
your name be attached to the article? That might be something to
consider.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a
tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change
it
up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or
publication
if I cash the check.

And, how much was this cheque for? If they do publish the tip, will
your name be attached to the article? That might be something to
consider.

5,000 cents

I really don't care to see my name in the magazine. I am thinking the
readers would say, they put that "Putz's" tip in???? LOL

The tip was soooo simple minded that there would be no need for an article,
a sketch on a napkin would be more than enough.

The tip was to use a bar clamp, K-body style as an index to return a rip
fence on a TS back to a previously positioned location. Not totally unlike
using a block of wood on a miter gauge fence to make repeated length cross
cuts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" writes:

I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change it
up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or publication
if I cash the check.

They will not necessarily publish the tip.

Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after accepting?

I got a $50 check from Fine Woodworking for a 4-sentance tip. Haven't
seen it published yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
"Leon" writes:

I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a
tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change
it
up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or
publication
if I cash the check.

They will not necessarily publish the tip.

Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after
accepting?

I got a $50 check from Fine Woodworking for a 4-sentance tip. Haven't
seen it published yet.

IIRC mine was a 2 sentence tip with a simple picture of a clamp on my rip
fence front bar.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Leon wrote:
I was expecting it, a check from August Home publishing. I submitted a tip
5-6 weeks ago and they want to buy the rights to publish it and or change it
up as they see fit. I cannot resubmit to any other magazine or publication
if I cash the check.

They will not necessarily publish the tip.

Has any one else received payment for a tip? Any gotcha's after accepting?

Like what are you thinking there might be to be concerned about?

Unless you think clearly it has some other more lucrative commercial
value than they're giving or really, really, really want to do something
else with it, what's to lose? (And, fundamentally, what can they do to
prevent you from doing something else with it, anyway; are they going to
run a search engine from now 'til doomsday to make sure it never shows
up somewhere else? Yes, I know, there's the agreement thing and honor,
and all that, I'm just pointing out (the obvious)...)

Of course, you'll be including it as Misc Income on a 1040, right?

d&r'ing, now... ;}

TODAY I GET TO GO TO No Name Home Repair 24 July 26th 09 09:51 AM
O/T: Today Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 16 December 12th 08 02:17 PM
Easy Plug & Play System. Start Today - Profit Today! //www.online-jobs-4u.page.tl leena Home Ownership 1 August 26th 08 10:38 PM
OT; Today The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 May 4th 08 09:30 AM
What most of you are doing today 1-1-08 [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 2nd 08 04:10 AM