pintihar

Default David Mark's crosscut sled

Hello WWs,
I just am now discovering David Mark's show. I must say it the
discussion here led me to the show and I have found it very enjoyable.

Question: I like the cross cut sled that he uses. I have constructed
similar in the past, but I don't have great results. It seems there is
a heavy vertical piece with two pieces of plywood screwed to it.
Probably runners in each piece to mate into the tabletop. Are there
any other stabalizing parts? Is it as simple as that? Any advice in
recreating such a jig? ( this seems so simple, I just struggle with
my sled. )
Perhaps I need to get some steel runners like the ones that came
with the saw's miter gauges. The saw is a Dewalt, is there a after
market for such simple accessories?

Thanks,
Pint

Bay Area Dave

Incra makes great metal runners. I use a pair of the long ones (18" or
24"; I forget) and they work well because they have three width
adjusters on them that you can adjust through small holes in the sled,
using an allen wrench. Check Woodpeckers

A heavy front and rear fence will stabilize the plywood bottom. put on
about 4 coats of shellac, sand it with your finest sandpaper and then
apply paste wax and buff it off. that sled will be slicker than snot!

dave

pintihar wrote:

Hello WWs,
I just am now discovering David Mark's show. I must say it the
discussion here led me to the show and I have found it very enjoyable.

Question: I like the cross cut sled that he uses. I have constructed
similar in the past, but I don't have great results. It seems there is
a heavy vertical piece with two pieces of plywood screwed to it.
Probably runners in each piece to mate into the tabletop. Are there
any other stabalizing parts? Is it as simple as that? Any advice in
recreating such a jig? ( this seems so simple, I just struggle with
my sled. )
Perhaps I need to get some steel runners like the ones that came
with the saw's miter gauges. The saw is a Dewalt, is there a after
market for such simple accessories?

Thanks,
Pint

John Dykes

I ordered the plans for his sled.

I might be able to help you out later with the general construction...

-jbd

mttt

"pintihar" wrote in message

Hello WWs,
similar in the past, but I don't have great results. It seems there is
a heavy vertical piece with two pieces of plywood screwed to it.

?? My guess is that vertical hardwood fence is on top of and attached to the
plywood sled.

Just finished my attempt at a DJM sled. See "Crosscut Sled Epiphany" thread
below. Used pre-primed MDF for my fence. That should be stable.

Sled itself was 1/2" baltic birch - 30x30".
Runners were red-oak leftovers. Screwed up into sled from below.
Two coats of shellac to seal everything up after getting it all square.

Hard part for me was making the runners - don't have a thickness planer.
Took a few tries before I could make a 32" long part that fit snugly in the
miter slot.

Tom Wojeck

Is pre-primed better than plan MDF? I'm ready to make a fence for a sled
I'm making and wanted to use MDF. I also thought about making a router
table fence out of MDF.

Thanks,
Tom Wojeck
"mttt" wrote in message

"pintihar" wrote in message

Hello WWs,
similar in the past, but I don't have great results. It seems there is
a heavy vertical piece with two pieces of plywood screwed to it.

?? My guess is that vertical hardwood fence is on top of and attached to

the
plywood sled.

Just finished my attempt at a DJM sled. See "Crosscut Sled Epiphany"

thread
below. Used pre-primed MDF for my fence. That should be stable.

Sled itself was 1/2" baltic birch - 30x30".
Runners were red-oak leftovers. Screwed up into sled from below.
Two coats of shellac to seal everything up after getting it all square.

Hard part for me was making the runners - don't have a thickness planer.
Took a few tries before I could make a 32" long part that fit snugly in

the
miter slot.

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Dykes" wrote in message

I ordered the plans for his sled.

I might be able to help you out later with the general construction...

When you get th em, please post your thoughts. I don't mind paying for
plans but I mentally thought it should be a simple enough project that $15
plans are not needed. But I've never seen his sled so I may be way off base.
Ed

mttt

"Tom Wojeck" wrote in message
news

Is pre-primed better than plan MDF? I'm ready to make a fence for a sled
I'm making and wanted to use MDF. I also thought about making a router
table fence out of MDF.

Probably not - but MDF swells (and dings), so I was planning on painting it
anyway. Buying it primed saved me the priming step. Still had to slop on
some Kilz primer where I made the cuts.

MDF is PDG material for stuff that needs to be flat and cheap - like fences.

pintihar

I am looking on diynet.com
Can't seem to find the plan. Suggestion?
Thanks,
Pint

I ordered the plans for his sled.

I might be able to help you out later with the general construction...

-jbd

Dan

pintihar wrote:
I am looking on diynet.com
Can't seem to find the plan. Suggestion?
Thanks,
Pint

It's not on DIY. It's on his own website, but I'm certain the link to
David's website is there on DIY.

Dan

I ordered the plans for his sled.

I might be able to help you out later with the general construction...

-jbd

jev

Look around in here http://www.djmarks.com/