Bay Area Dave

Default David Mark's crosscut sled

Incra makes great metal runners. I use a pair of the long ones (18" or
24"; I forget) and they work well because they have three width
adjusters on them that you can adjust through small holes in the sled,
using an allen wrench. Check Woodpeckers

A heavy front and rear fence will stabilize the plywood bottom. put on
about 4 coats of shellac, sand it with your finest sandpaper and then
apply paste wax and buff it off. that sled will be slicker than snot!

dave

pintihar wrote:

Hello WWs,
I just am now discovering David Mark's show. I must say it the
discussion here led me to the show and I have found it very enjoyable.

Question: I like the cross cut sled that he uses. I have constructed
similar in the past, but I don't have great results. It seems there is
a heavy vertical piece with two pieces of plywood screwed to it.
Probably runners in each piece to mate into the tabletop. Are there
any other stabalizing parts? Is it as simple as that? Any advice in
recreating such a jig? ( this seems so simple, I just struggle with
my sled. )
Perhaps I need to get some steel runners like the ones that came
with the saw's miter gauges. The saw is a Dewalt, is there a after
market for such simple accessories?

Thanks,
Pint