Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I ordered mine!

More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that is
all you pay. I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool ships in
2-3 weeks.

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was
strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or
4. Mine as is will allow a joint of 2.125" wide. The BridgeCity Tool
Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at BCT.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B B B B is offline

On Nov 4, 7:21*pm, "Leon" wrote:
More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that is
all you pay. *I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool ships in
2-3 weeks.

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was
strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or
4. * Mine as is will *allow a joint of 2.125" wide. * The BridgeCity Tool
Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at BCT.

Hi,

I received mine last Monday. I ordered it back in July... Expect some
delays as mine came one and a half month later than expected... But
the wait was well worth it.

It is surprisingly small but such a clever design. I can't wait to
test it out.

BB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B B" wrote in message
On Nov 4, 7:21 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Hi,

I received mine last Monday. I ordered it back in July... Expect some
delays as mine came one and a half month later than expected... But
the wait was well worth it.

It is surprisingly small but such a clever design. I can't wait to
test it out.

BB

The web site indicated December. The girl said 2-3 weeks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that
is all you pay. I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool
ships in 2-3 weeks.

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was
strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or
4. Mine as is will allow a joint of 2.125" wide. The BridgeCity Tool
Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at
BCT.

What's a.b.p.w and where can I see that drawing?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:041120091950562710%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , SBH wrote:

What's a.b.p.w and where can I see that drawing?

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that is
all you pay. I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool ships in
2-3 weeks.

I did the same right after watching the video. I've wanted one of those
for a long time - I just didn't know what it looked like. :-/

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was
strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or
4. Mine as is will allow a joint of 2.125" wide. The BridgeCity Tool
Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at BCT.

With your drawings to guide me, I'm thinking I'd like to build a big one
in Spring for joints up to 7-1/2" wide...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote

With your drawings to guide me, I'm thinking I'd like to build a big one
in Spring for joints up to 7-1/2" wide...

--

Will it talk to the CNC router?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Morris Dovey" wrote

With your drawings to guide me, I'm thinking I'd like to build a big one
in Spring for joints up to 7-1/2" wide...

--

Will it talk to the CNC router?

I do believe there is an "app" for that. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote
With your drawings to guide me, I'm thinking I'd like to build a big one
in Spring for joints up to 7-1/2" wide...

Will it talk to the CNC router?

Probably not. This little gizmo allows the 'Bot to discover everything
it needs to about the workpiece and the cutting tool all by itself...

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SuperZero/

....but it doesn't work for the table saw or RAS, which is where I expect
the jig from Bridge City to shine.

I do enough one-off shop projects with 2x stock that I think the larger
size might also be useful.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that
is all you pay. I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool
ships in 2-3 weeks.

I did the same right after watching the video. I've wanted one of those
for a long time - I just didn't know what it looked like. :-/

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I
was strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making
3 or 4. Mine as is will allow a joint of 2.125" wide. The BridgeCity
Tool Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha
at BCT.

With your drawings to guide me, I'm thinking I'd like to build a big one
in Spring for joints up to 7-1/2" wide...

You know Morris when I realized that it would only handle 2" I wondered if
It would be satisfying. hummmm

Uh meee er uh.... I had the same thought. If I need bigger I'll build a
bigger one. The BCT jig is elegant and compact, I thought with smaller
needs that it may be a better choice for the smaller applications.

Because of the intricacy in my drawings and the small parts I think it would
be easier to mill longer pieces and cut up several.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

You know Morris when I realized that it would only handle 2" I wondered if
It would be satisfying. hummmm

Uh meee er uh.... I had the same thought. If I need bigger I'll build a
bigger one. The BCT jig is elegant and compact, I thought with smaller
needs that it may be a better choice for the smaller applications.

Because of the intricacy in my drawings and the small parts I think it would
be easier to mill longer pieces and cut up several.

I think I just figured out how to make a (simpler) wooden jig to do the
job. It takes a piece of scrap and six cuts on the table saw.

It doesn't adjust for blade thickness, but it's so cheap and easy that I
may just knock one out whenever I get a new blade.

I'm still looking forward to the arrival of the KM, tho.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 20:52:26 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Leon wrote:
More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that is
all you pay. I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool ships in
2-3 weeks.

I did the same right after watching the video. I've wanted one of those
for a long time - I just didn't know what it looked like. :-/

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was
strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or
4. Mine as is will allow a joint of 2.125" wide. The BridgeCity Tool
Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at BCT.

With your drawings to guide me, I'm thinking I'd like to build a big one
in Spring for joints up to 7-1/2" wide...

Erm, what kind of MEGAdado blade is that wide, Morris?

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Erm, what kind of MEGAdado blade is that wide, Morris?

It's an ordinary blade making however many passes it takes.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Erm, what kind of MEGAdado blade is that wide, Morris?

It's an ordinary blade making however many passes it takes.

If you put a stacked dado in there to start with it should require far fewer
passes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Erm, what kind of MEGAdado blade is that wide, Morris?

It's an ordinary blade making however many passes it takes.

If you put a stacked dado in there to start with it should require far fewer
passes.

How about making the first and last cuts to establish the 7-1/2" joint
width, take out 95% of the remaining waste with a single cut on the
bandsaw (or jigsaw, depending on the board), then use a dozen or so
passes with the stacked dado to nibble away the rest?

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:33:28 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Erm, what kind of MEGAdado blade is that wide, Morris?

It's an ordinary blade making however many passes it takes.

Holy ****, Batman! You're going to notch out 7.5 INCHES at a bit
under 1/8 inch at a time? You either have autistic or Downs genes in
your line, boy. Nobody normal has patience by that sized truckload.
'Course, normal isn't the norm here on the Wreck, is it?

Why you no use CNC, kemosabe? Maybe stack 6-up on the crosscut sled
with two stops, then CNC 'em out (if you get tearout with your bit.)

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Holy ****, Batman! You're going to notch out 7.5 INCHES at a bit
under 1/8 inch at a time? You either have autistic or Downs genes in
your line, boy. Nobody normal has patience by that sized truckload.
'Course, normal isn't the norm here on the Wreck, is it?

whisper mode=on
I'm actually more likely to use my ancient Sears wobble dado and cut
3/4" at a time, and it's still possible that I've escaped the bounds of
normality - I'm the only software guy I know of who has taken more than
nine years to get a single program running. Twice.
whisper mode=off

Why you no use CNC, kemosabe? Maybe stack 6-up on the crosscut sled
with two stops, then CNC 'em out (if you get tearout with your bit.)

While I really like the CNC router for precise, intricate production
work, using it for a one-off project usually means writing a part
program, tearing down the fixturing, setting up for this job, debugging
the part program, running my one-off parts, tearing that down, and
reinstalling the original fixturing.

Sometimes it's just easier, more fun, and more satisfying to fire up the
old Unisaur.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that
is all you pay. I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool
ships in 2-3 weeks.

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was
strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or
4. Mine as is will allow a joint of 2.125" wide. The BridgeCity Tool
Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at
BCT.

I agree it's clever and useful but IMHO about double the price that it
should be. I venture a guess that Rockler will have a knockoff around $30 -
$40 down the road.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:

I agree it's clever and useful but IMHO about double the price that it
should be. I venture a guess that Rockler will have a knockoff around
$30 - $40 down the road.

Probably true, and shortly thereafter we may see a Chinese knockoff
going for $9.95.

I thought about that before I ordered - and decided that I liked the
quality of thought behind the gizmo well enough to reward the inventor
for producing what appears to be a good solution to one of my problems.

I suspect everyone's mileage varies on this, but I haven't seen much
inventive problem solving coming out of Rockler's shop or, for that
matter, from Guangzhou or Shanghai - and I've seen less and less of it
in the US (and I'm sure there must be a reason).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
I suspect everyone's mileage varies on this, but I haven't seen much
inventive problem solving coming out of Rockler's shop or, for that
matter, from Guangzhou or Shanghai - and I've seen less and less of it
in the US (and I'm sure there must be a reason).

If nothing else, Rockler's (prices for their) gadgets often inspires me
to build, myself, what they are trying to sell me. Even when their jigs
and such and on sale, they are too expensive for what the are and for
how easy they are to build.

I do love when they have a ridonculous sale on knobs and t-bolts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vic Baron wrote:

I agree it's clever and useful but IMHO about double the price that it
should be. I venture a guess that Rockler will have a knockoff around
$30 - $40 down the road.

Probably true, and shortly thereafter we may see a Chinese knockoff going
for $9.95.

I thought about that before I ordered - and decided that I liked the
quality of thought behind the gizmo well enough to reward the inventor for
producing what appears to be a good solution to one of my problems.

I suspect everyone's mileage varies on this, but I haven't seen much
inventive problem solving coming out of Rockler's shop or, for that
matter, from Guangzhou or Shanghai - and I've seen less and less of it in
the US (and I'm sure there must be a reason).

I completely agree. And I understand about rewarding the inventor. I just
laid out almost $200 for a product called MortisePal, even though I have
several home made shop mortise jigs. Just thought this one was fast, simple
and almost fool proof and so far it has been a breeze to do loose tenon and
dowel joints with the router.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the drawing.

I hate a.b.p.w... its a personal problem. I use Google reader and so I
have to search for the usnet replayer to find the pictures. It's just
a hassle, why can't there be a link?

So... if you don't mind, I copied the pdf to a linked location here
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/graphi...7391864.40.pdf

On Nov 4, 4:21*pm, "Leon" wrote:
More good news about the Kerfmaker from BridgeCity tools.

Most new products prices include shipping, so if you buy one for $72 that is
all you pay. *I preordered, 1/2 down now and the rest when the tool ships in
2-3 weeks.

I posted a drawing on a.b.p.w of one that you could build your self, I was
strongly considering doing this, actually strongly considering making 3 or
4. * Mine as is will *allow a joint of 2.125" wide. * The BridgeCity Tool
Kerfmaker will allow for a joint up to 2" wide according to Natasha at BCT.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Thanks for the drawing.

You are welcome!

I hate a.b.p.w... its a personal problem. I use Google reader and so I
have to search for the usnet replayer to find the pictures. It's just
a hassle, why can't there be a link?

I understand, I now use a 3rd party to see what's there myself. I may one
day have my own site but it is not on the front burner.

So... if you don't mind, I copied the pdf to a linked location here
http://www.sonomaproducts.com/graphi...7391864.40.pdf

Cool